ENEOS oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we started carrying a new line of oil at my work today, ENEOS is the brand name. The parent company is Nippon Oil Co., which is obviously japanese based. They do alot of work in F1 and are affilliated with the BAR Honda team. I said what they hey and purchased their product. Interestingly enough they only offer 2 weights. 0w-50 and 0w-20, so i went with the 0w-20. I run a 1.8l honda engine (duh) and previously had been running the Motul 300v 5w-30, but it burned too quickly for my taste, and i hadnt been doing any dyno pulls or racing lately, so it didnt make much sense to leave it in there. Anyone ever heard ANYTHING about this oil before though? I plan on doing a UOA at the end of a 3000 mile daily driving cycle at the end....

I do not have a lot of insight about the company, but here is what I do know. Nippon Oil used be called Nippon Mitsubishi Oil. Sometime in recent years they changed their name. They are one of the big OEM suppliers to the Japanese automakers in Japan. Idemitsu being another. (FYI, Idemitsu supplies Honda with the Honda branded oil in Japan, like Mobil does in the States)

It seems that Nippon Oil has just opened their first blending plant in the States. I found this article:
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000458381.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Yes Nippon Oil is a sponsor of the BAR-Honda team, using the Eneos name. They actually started as a technical partner on the Honda side of the team in 2000, but became a full sponsor in the 2004 season.

As far as the quality of their oils, I am sure they are quality oils. They are a major player, with a full range of oils available (at least in Japan). They are not a small boutique company by any stretch of the imagination. While in Japan I have used their gasoline, but never their oil.

If you have any virgin oil leftover, you could always send it in for a VOA to see what kind of additive package it started out with.
smile.gif

Regards.

xxxDOHC VTECxxx: Not a UOA (although one of those would be interesting to see too)...but a VOA (virgin {i.e., unused oil} oil analysis).

I'm sure it's a good product, but I highly doubt they have any more technical know how than XOM, Lubrizol, Infineum, Shell, Hatco, Amsoil or Redline. Some of the best lubricants in the world are all from the U.S.

I'm waiting for the Eneos Platinum Group III formulation...I heard PB will be carrying it at $1.99 after rebate. I heard the 5W-20 version will have a VI of 287, a PP of -120C, and a HTHS number of 1.4.

wink.gif

I just realized this thread started in 2005!

No UOA yet? I'm sure this oil is all that, but Japan has, in the past, not been the center of lubricant perfection. At this time, it's "show us the money"....

Pep Boys will Never carry ENEOS - It is possible that small franchise autoparts store will pick up eneos 1-10 stores in the future but its not an item i want to see there. And the prices will not be less than MSRP 9.95-6.95 a quart

Quote:

Pep Boys will Never carry ENEOS - It is possible that small franchise autoparts store will pick up eneos 1-10 stores in the future but its not an item i want to see there. And the prices will not be less than MSRP 9.95-6.95 a quart

It was a joke...humor.

Quote:

I'm sure this oil is all that, but Japan has, in the past, not been the center of lubricant perfection. At this time, it's "show us the money"....

You aren't kidding....people keep forgetting that it too Toyota 40 years to "get it right" their first "Toyo Pet" cars imported in the 1950's were comeplete garbage. Don't forget the Datsun's of the 60's and 70's that would disintigrate if you drove them in the salted roads of Winter here. But everyone thinks everything Japanese is brilliant and high quality and built "with honor". Makes me laugh my #@$%! off.
laugh.gif

Quote:

It only took 12 replies for the thread to veer to the dump, but the time to get there was great - 15 months.

Maybe so, but what do you expect when sooo many bashers on here will turn a thread that has NOTHING to do with GM/domestic build quality/problems into just that. ALL of you NEVER miss the chance to lambast GM/domestics and praise and
bowdown2.gif
your beloved Japan. Inc. EVERY/ANY chance you get. Expect the same from the "bashees", it's only fair.

BTW; PT1 is absolutely RIGHT on this (and I've said it since this whole country "turned Japanesea", just like the song
laugh.gif
). NOT just the Tyopets, but even the early Coronas were TOTAL rustbucket p.o.s. disgraces, and a "dishonor" to "supreme" Japan, Inc. Funny how this country so conveniently "forgets" about that, huh? Much easier to remember/bring up Detroit's failures/bad times to the point of NEVER giving them another chance NO MATTER how much better their product may currently actually be than your beloved Nippon Giant's.
mad.gif
I guess it's innate in our national character to forgive/forget other countries' failures OVER our own??

Quote:

It only took 12 replies for the thread to veer to the dump, but the time to get there was great - 15 months.

Yep, I told you the haters would come out to play! "Took Toyota 40 years to get it right..."
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
Here we go again. From discussing motor oil to bashing Toyota.
coffeetime.gif

Japan(Toyota in particular)was the first country to use Total Quality Management in their industrial production(from the beginning of the seventies). They have since then, been developing this way of thinking. Because of this, they can react faster and more correct, when changes in demand occurs(demand for more reliable, fuel efficient cars and so on). In the US, the thinking that "Big is better, always", have been blocking new ideas in some ways. In Japan, the search for excellence(in the way that things should function the way they are intended to)have been colouring most their work. In the US, people are just happy if things are working OK. Another example regarding this, is Synlube, in the US. They have products that are most impressive. In Japan, they would have been a big oil-supplier for the car-industry, but in the US they are almost neglected. Quite amazing that I seem to be the first member of BITOG to be testing their product, even though I live in Europe. If you always only considder price, to be the only ting to look at, when purchasing a product, you can end up paying more than if you also were considdering quality.
Just some thoughts that I had. Did I understand it all wrong? I'd be glad to know.

Jeez guys I was NOT ragging on Japan. I was merely stating two things:

1) This oil is all talk and no numbers so far.
2) Japan does not have a rich history with perfect auto lubes. This could easily be pushed aside.

Sorry for skunking up a thread.

Well if Pablo's strategy didn't work, I'll try something just little different. I don't care where the stuff is made. If it is great, prove it! If it is from Earth, then it is time to "show us the money".

Quote:

Well if Pablo's strategy didn't work, I'll try something just little different. I don't care where the stuff is made. If it is great, prove it! If it is from Earth, then it is time to "show us the money".

Uhh ohh, I smell oil synthesized during Zero G shuttle flights. The first otherwordly oil anybody
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back