2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 Valve Noise at Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
VQ engines like thick oil. Get some Pennzoil HM 10w30 or 40. My VQ loved it. Use a WIX filter with a real spring and bypass setup, not the "clicker" type valve.

I had an '02 3.5SE 5/MT and it never had any noises on Startup, but I have heard that it is somewhat common on the VQ's. I definitely found the engine ran real quiet, and smooth at idle when using a slightly thicker oil. I ran either 10w30 M1 HM or GC the entire time I had my Altima. Great running car!!

I had this issue with mine when using restrictive oil filters like the Amsoi EAO. Try a K&N, thats what worked for me.

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
VQ engines like thick oil.

^^I`ve read this as well on a few 350Z sites. Most of them seem to use 40 weights. My friend has a 4 banger Altima that has lived all it`s life on Pennzoil yb 10W30,and never ever made a single noise........until she started going to the Nissan stealership for oil changes (God only knows why?????) and they use GTX 5W30 in everything. Now everytime she starts her car it sounds like it`s starting with no oil in it.......tick tick tick tick for like 5 seconds or so.

Try an oci of Pennzoil yb (10W30 or 10W40) and a Nissan oil filter and I bet all the ticks will be gone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
I had this issue with mine when using restrictive oil filters like the Amsoi EAO. Try a K&N, thats what worked for me.

Restrictive? The EAO should flow as well or better than most cellulose media filters. I've found the ADBVs in the EAOs don't always work that great.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
VQ engines like thick oil.

^^I`ve read this as well on a few 350Z sites. Most of them seem to use 40 weights. My friend has a 4 banger Altima that has lived all it`s life on Pennzoil yb 10W30,and never ever made a single noise........until she started going to the Nissan stealership for oil changes (God only knows why?????) and they use GTX 5W30 in everything. Now everytime she starts her car it sounds like it`s starting with no oil in it.......tick tick tick tick for like 5 seconds or so.

Try an oci of Pennzoil yb (10W30 or 10W40) and a Nissan oil filter and I bet all the ticks will be gone.

This makes me feel better for using the Amsoil straight 30wt in it since new. But this one is completely quiet so maybe there's something to it. We'll see how it likes the Redline 5w-30 in a month or so. This is going to sound crazy but I wonder if the 5w-30 is too thin at startup. I've had engines that knocked and made noises more on startup with a thin oil vs a thicker. I'm sure I'm going to get killed for saying this.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I've had engines that knocked and made noises more on startup with a thin oil vs a thicker.

One of my 3000GT`s did this. On cold winter startups (30`s) it made alot of noise on startup with 10W30. I eventually started using 10W40,and no more noise ever. I think a slightly thicker oil stays on the engine parts better after shutdown,while thinner oils seem to drip completely off and back down into the oil pan. Thats the only thing I can think of as to why the 40 weight gave my car smoother,more quiet cold startups.

What I was told anyway. Issue was even 0w oil. Was being told the lifters couldnt get pumped up when cold due to low pressure.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75

Restrictive? The EAO should flow as well or better than most cellulose media filters. I've found the ADBVs in the EAOs don't always work that great.

I agree. The flow should be great with the EaO, but the ADBV's don't always work that well. I've had some failed ones on EaO's before.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've had engines that knocked and made noises more on startup with a thin oil vs a thicker.

One of my 3000GT`s did this. On cold winter startups (30`s) it made alot of noise on startup with 10W30. I eventually started using 10W40,and no more noise ever. I think a slightly thicker oil stays on the engine parts better after shutdown,while thinner oils seem to drip completely off and back down into the oil pan. Thats the only thing I can think of as to why the 40 weight gave my car smoother,more quiet cold startups.

My experience is the same.

This is that super gray area. On this site it's always assumed thinner is better on a cold start and I don't bother disputing it. But as my engine got more and more worn and it would have a little rod knock for a second or two on a cold start which went away the instant the oil pressure guage moved off of 0, pressure came quicker and the sound went away quicker with a thicker oil. In fact, the knock was quieter before the pressure ever arrived with the thicker oil.

The engine runs extremely quiet once running... BTW a really great engine in my opinion. Oil consumption seems to be higher during prolonged highway use, but that's just a guesstimate since I haven't really had to pay too much attention until fairly recently (and its my wives car).

I have two Fram on the shelf one a super cheapy and one extended performance.. I didn't buy either (were given to me) so I'll likely return both and return to Purolater's (or Wix).

What I have to decide is whether I'm going to run OW-40 or 10W-30 or 40 Mobil 1. Seems to be a toss up..

In my car I run Amsoil Euro but I have a 9-5 Aero so its a lot more picky when it comes to oil..

My 04 Altima 2.5S also makes this noise apon start up. I usually try to park on level ground or if the ground is unlevel, I park so that the passenger side is a bit lower than the driver side(I don't always go out of my way to do this!). The oil filter is on the passenger side and I havent found an oil filter with a very good ADBV(even silicone). The oil seems to drain back no matter what unless I park so that the filter stays more full. Im only concerned about long term(overnight or at work parking). Short term startup to startup doesn't seem to be a huge issue with mine.

My experience is the same.

This is that super gray area. On this site it's always assumed thinner is better on a cold start and I don't bother disputing it. But as my engine got more and more worn and it would have a little rod knock for a second or two on a cold start which went away the instant the oil pressure guage moved off of 0, pressure came quicker and the sound went away quicker with a thicker oil. In fact, the knock was quieter before the pressure ever arrived with the thicker oil.

I think G-MAN said the same thing. I remember when he tried the SAE30 in his Chrysler 3.5L and said that it was the only one to quiet the slight bottom end noise on a cold start. The thread is old so I might not be remembering all of the details perfectly...

My vote would be try Mobil 1 0W-40. It's a very high-quality oil that has great cold flow/pump, and is a very thin 40-weight that shears down in service.

Since you are already using M1 in your engine, the engine doesn't have to 'adjust' to a new oil chemisty. That will help with consumption.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My vote would be try Mobil 1 0W-40. It's a very high-quality oil that has great cold flow/pump, and is a very thin 40-weight that shears down in service.

Since you are already using M1 in your engine, the engine doesn't have to 'adjust' to a new oil chemisty. That will help with consumption.

Thats exactly what I decided.. Now I just need to find OW-40, hopefully Wallyworld has it.

Hey all, registered just to say "thanks" for the great advice found on this board. I have a 2003 Altima SE (VQ35DE) and around 80k it started started making a rather loud "diesel" chatter when cold. 100k miles right now, and I've been using M1 5W-30 since the car was new. The dealership had no good advice except to run a change of that miracle engine cleaner stuff, which of course did no good. Last night I used M1 0W-40 and lo and behold the noise is gone, almost completely! When I drove it around the block after changing it the noise was gone, but I figured that was because the valve train had already been lubricated by my drive home from work. The true test was this morning, and even right after starting the clatter was gone. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back