2008 5.7 Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen an aftermarket spin on oil filter adaptor for this engine? The cartridge filter is a joke. Why would anyone do this to an otherwise fine truck?

I am not aware of any that exists.

The cartridge filter isn't that big of a deal. While I haven't serviced that one in particular, I recently did a VW 2.0T cartridge filter. You push in the plastic nipple to drain the housing. Then you use a socket to remove the plastic cartridge. No mess at all. In fact, I prefer it over the messy spin-on filter.

What so hard about it? A lot of companies are going to a cartridge filter set up. GM was the first that I was aware of years ago. I thought the filter houseing on 5.7 was cast directly into the block? Is it boled to the block as in you could unbolt it if you had to switch it for a new market???? I think Volvo,VW and Audi had some like that as well in the past. You are just saving some metal by not putting the cartridge in a metal can.

I have the same Truck and Engine, for me the preoblem is not so much the filter removal, it is that you have to remove the skid plate.
to get to the filter, but i guess the upside is that the skid plate also protects the filter just in case you bottom out crossing a muddy creek or something, i guess Toyota werent kidding when they say they thought about everything on this truck.

Originally Posted By: Tundraz
I have the same Truck and Engine, for me the preoblem is not so much the filter removal, it is that you have to remove the skid plate.
to get to the filter, but i guess the upside is that the skid plate also protects the filter just in case you bottom out crossing a muddy creek or something

Better safe than sorry, right?

The cartidge filter is way easy. I never remove the drain plug but just unscrew the whole cartridge and dump it in the catch pan. (I have one on the 08 Lexus 3.5L V6) Just make sure you do not use a metal tool to remove the o-ring. If you scratch the side of the canister it WILL leak and you will be buying a new one. The o-ring should be coated with a thin film of oil too on reinstallation.

The skid plate makes this job ungainly. The cartridge filter is a throw back to the '60's. Currently no one provides a premium grade oil filter for this application. I used the KD tool to remove the filter cannister. The tool is all metal and works well. At least with Amsoil signature series this is a once a year task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back