Mazda Dipstick Useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mazda with the 2.3L. The dipstick is a steel looking cable with a cast thinger at the end that's completely useless for getting a good oil reading.

Any ideas on an alternative that will actually do it's job?

Read the back of it. The stamped FoMoCo on the back can act line gradient marks. That is how I read mine. -Seriously

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
My Mazda 2.3L CX7 has a dip-stick that is a flat blade of steel with no "end thingy" Not sure what you are refering to.

The turbo engines and N/A engines use different dipsticks.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Originally Posted By: Eddie
My Mazda 2.3L CX7 has a dip-stick that is a flat blade of steel with no "end thingy" Not sure what you are refering to.

The turbo engines and N/A engines use different dipsticks.

I guess that's why my Mazda6 V6 uses the flat blade stick also.

They are the worst. The back does seem to be a better indicator.

........ The dipstick is a steel looking cable with a cast thinger at the end that's completely useless for getting a good oil reading. ........ [/quote]

I have the same thing on my Honda mower!

Toss it on a paper towel and it'll start blotting the oil away.

A circle near the tip= low

An oval kinda shaped like the thingamabob= right

Fun as the oil keeps spreading, like measuring ocean wave height with a ruler.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
........ The dipstick is a steel looking cable with a cast thinger at the end that's completely useless for getting a good oil reading. ........

I have the same thing on my Honda mower! [/quote]

Same engine......
grin2.gif

My MazdaSpeed 3 w/2.3 has a round, stright peice of metal with no bends. Then where the marks are the round part is flattened a little. I find it easy to read. What model of Mazda is this?

I have a Mazda 6, the speed may have a different dipstick since it's direct injected, turbo, and has a top-mount inter-cooler right where my dipstick goes.

Grrr, My Mazda3 2.0 has the fishing weight on a cable also. It IS completely usless, especially with fresh oil. The oil tends to pool up on the bottom before you can get an accurate reading. They designed a sh1tty dipstick, but thought it was necessary for it to say FoMoCo.

I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to make an aftermarket one OR modify a good one from a different vehicle. I love the GM ones with the 4 holes. So easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back