seafoam and cloudy gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
background: Snowblower transmission died last feb, I dragged it into a snowbank abandoned. Rained on it all summer. Pulled the good motor and recycled the rest.

Got a new blower chassis with an underpowered engine, put this (20 y.o. tecumseh 8 hp) bad boy on there, it runs (!) but sputters, stalls etc.

Drain the gas that was in it, may have looked ok, drained it into a red gas can so who knows.

Petcock leaves 1/4 inch of junk on the bottom of the plastic tank.

Cleaned carb. Was pretty clean anyway. Still stumbled.

Put fresh fuel and a dollop of seafoam in, look in, it's milky and bubbly. Suspect water but wonder if seafoam does this when mixed.

Removed tank and shook it every which way to really clean it out. Put fresh gas in. Grade A- performance!

I had a Gilson tractor that wouldn't run well. I saw the water in the bottom of the tank and kept adding methanol to remove it but that didn't work. I pulled the tank to drain and removed the high speed jet to drain the carb into a glass container. Way more water than any chemical could handle.

After settling I poured the gas back in with some fresh gas and now it starts and runs just fine.

I use BG 12 for a fuel add in my mowers and blowers whenever I am getting a new to me small engine going. Last time I used it, it was cloudy right out of the can. Once I cleared out the carb, the mower ran on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back