Anyone ever use the napa 80w85w90 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some of this and want to use it in a rear diff and a transaxle for a 01 forester. Any problem? Is this gear oil any good?

I beleive it is made by valvoline, I have used the stuff before it seems to get the job done just fine. However, I have used the 75-90 stuff in jeeps and my truck.

I've used it. It works fine. You'll never know the difference between the mineral-based 80w-90. Most 75w-90s seem to be synthetics nowadays. All Napa brand oils are made by Ashland Oil Co.(Valvoline)

ryland that's funny. I was just eye-balling that very gear oil at Napa yesterday. Just kinda browsing our brand new relocated Napa store. I had to cover one eye and re-read that 80w85w90 label! Thought I was seeing double again.
crazy2.gif

Joel

Is this a joke ?

There is no such thing as SAE rating for Gear oils that is not in 70w, 75w, 80W or 90 (120 to 140)

80w85w90
DOES NOT EXIST !!!

If any company can not even print on their label the correct specification I would seriously worry about the quality of the content !!!

it does exist! go to napa. I thought it was funny too. I only bought it because it was on sale and I was useing it in my atv. Worked great in that but I have since sold my atv and will probably use the remainder onmy brothers car.

338172.jpg

I've used it in the diffs on my Explorer. The front diff hardly gets used, as I'm usually in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. The rear diff has a mix of this stuff and Synpower 75w-90. I thought I had bought enough oil, apparently not. The Synpower was all I had laying around, so I dumped it in too. No complaints.

Hmmm....it looks almost like they're implying "between 80w and 85w" rather than being specific about it.

SAE doesn't allow double 'w' ratings anymore. As shown, most don't understand the label.

If its an 80w, it exceeds the 85w requirement also by definition.
If its a 75w, it exceeds the 80w and 85w requirement also.......

If you have a 70w-90 gear oil, it is actually a 70w-75w-80w-85w-90 gear oil. Labels aren't big enough.

What is your equipment spec? Is it GL-4 or GL-5? Need to make sure the API spec matches. That is more significant that the debate over the multiple "w" rating (comparing 80w- to 85w-).

Further, just to clarify, Napa fluids are not made by Valvoline. Both Valvoline and Napa are made by Ashland ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
What is your equipment spec? Is it GL-4 or GL-5? Need to make sure the API spec matches. That is more significant that the debate over the multiple "w" rating (comparing 80w- to 85w-).

Further, just to clarify, Napa fluids are not made by Valvoline. Both Valvoline and Napa are made by Ashland ...

Its GL-5 but according to this gear oil that wouldent matter!!!!! Its not only 80w85w90 is also GL-3, GL-4, and GL-5!!!!! It also can be used to heal burns and bring the dead back to life!

no seriously though it does say GL-3,4 and 5 right on the bottle no joke! I dont knwo how they do that but its going in the subaru today so I'll toll you all how it does in the transaxle. Im intristed to see as well. Maybe it will be great because of the GF-4 spec??

I bought some today, and come to think of it, I'm taking it back. Would rather spend the extra on synthetic than to do a "trial", with possible results being, "well...I have a definitive answer on the 80w85w-90 Napa Ashland Diff oil, and I need to rebuild my rear end now"...but that's just me. I'm not much for "trial" to save maybe $15, with regards to a $1200 rear end, and the word "trial" in one of the above posts solidified that for me.

There's my useless opinion. Hey, it just occured to me...that's what we're all here for, to exchange useless opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back