Best conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to have to go with Brad Penn as they offer their dino oil with higher levels of additives then SM GF3 oil does. I think the additive package is more important then the base stocks assumeing everyone is using at least a G-II base stock blend or higher.

Originally Posted By: cassidy
I need a expert opinion on what the best conventional oil on the market is. Are there any better than the rest? I see a lot of pyb users, but not many on others like valvoline or castrol. So, whats the best?

Sure seems to be a lot of experts here today.

Kinda surpised at all the love for Valvoline. Good oil but IMO it's not worth a premium to Motorcraft Syn Blend and PYB.

Don't know what the best is, I buy name brand on sale. Price being the same I'd take:

1) Motorcraft Syn Blend
1a)Pennzoil YB

Originally Posted By: steveh
Its kind of funny how Valvoline used to get bashed so badly around here a few years ago!!!

LOL yep I know it. Valvoline was not popular on here.... no what has changed lol?

The best conventional oil is the one on sale.

Originally Posted By: buster
Because Valvoline Synpower was never that good until recently.

It passed GM 4718M in the past year or so. Castrol Edge also wasn't on the list until recently.

This post for Pennzoil 10w-30 is stuck in my oil lobe:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1610061&Searchpage=1&Main=82347&Words=%22noack+volatility%22&Search=true#Post1610061

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Originally Posted By: steveh
Its kind of funny how Valvoline used to get bashed so badly around here a few years ago!!!

LOL yep I know it. Valvoline was not popular on here.... no what has changed lol?

Maybe Valvoline fans have been the silent majority and just decided to speak up for a change!
grin2.gif

Kidding aside, I simply do not believe that PYB is the cure for the common cold like so many people think it is. It's a great conventional, but no better than Valvoline, IMHO. Run either for a normal conventional OCI and guess what? You'll have a wonderfully performing, clean engine and won't know the difference.

GTX has my vote my grandfather used it forever never any issues had engines over 280K in old 70s small blocks and 80 4 bangers

I see nothing impressive about Valvoline white bottle. Seems to be a little lighter on adds than most conventionals.

Maxlife seems to be a good oil though.

Best deal is Trop-artic...if I was gonna run 8k on OCI & wanted a "deal" I might run Trop-artic for 1.99 per QT...should hold up much better than Supertech for an extended interval ehh?

I'm suprised Valvoline is getting so many votes. Havoline/Chevron is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back