Have you changed anybody's oil habits??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed a few people..

My sister's fiance:
When I first layed my hands on his Dodge Ram 5.7 (to his request) it had 11,000 miles on DINO oil..and it was very low. So I made HIM change the oil as I gave intructions (better to teach him than to do it for him). We put in Mobil Clean 5000 5w20
55.gif
and a Mopar filter. Now today we're gonna do it again but with a mix of Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 and any synthetic I have laying around... plus STP filter because it was on sale (I know STP filters suck).

My best-friend:
My best friend would take her 96 Civic to quick lube places whenever she remembered... when her car got to my garage it was low on oil and it was pitch black.. and with FRAM filter.
So I put in Supertech Synthetic 5w30 and supertech filter, we're gonna do it again but first I'm gonna seafoam it. And then we'll change it to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and start doing longer OCIs. It's nice seeing a pretty european girl that cares about her car getting dirty under it
20.gif

Nope they still won't even run yellow bottle in a lawnmower!

And friends don't let friends use STP filters! J/K...

And how do we know the euro chick is hot? THis thread is useless without pics! J/K...

Don't bother with the Seafoam and just start using synthetic and things will clean up slowly and safely.

On of my friends is now changing his oil a lot less frequently, something like a one year OCI, since he hardly drives his car. It's a 2001 and is well under 70,000 miles. He was doing changes based on time. I think he still takes it somewhere to have it done, but I'm not positive about that.

My sister goes to the quick lube place religiously every 3k miles. I'm trying to convince her that it's more often than necessary (she seems to trust those guy's opinions more than mine). But I suppose it's a lot better than carelessly never changing it.

I have influenced a ton of people in the motorcycle world. Many have switched from high priced oils to the dino HDEO's.

Funny, but the same guys that are freaked about what they pour into their bikes, just don't care about their cars. Most of them just run the car into a JiffyLube or a PepBoys and get the bulk stuff. Of course, 95% of these guys won't have their vehicles beyond 100k miles and maybe one will go beyond 150k.....so it is really a mute issue.

No change to anybody's oil habits for they all listened to me and been good so far (10W30, 5W30, 5W20).

I'm not a priest and I don't preach to those stubborn-minded for if that's what they wanna do, so be it.

Afterall: it's their money and their problems so why stress myself out over issues that aren't mine to begin with?

Q.

Nope.

If you don't have professional credentials, they won't listen to you. And I don't blame them either.

My Dad was a 3000 mile OCI guy with his Suburban, Mom's Buick, her Corolla, etc. He's got 200,000 on his Nissan Frontier with the Amsoil 25,000 mile OCI plan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrWideTires

plus STP filter because it was on sale (I know STP filters suck).

What's wrong with STP filters? They are made by champion labs who happens to be one of the best [censored] filter manufactures. Just my 2 cents

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
Don't bother with the Seafoam and just start using synthetic and things will clean up slowly and safely.

On of my friends is now changing his oil a lot less frequently, something like a one year OCI, since he hardly drives his car. It's a 2001 and is well under 70,000 miles. He was doing changes based on time. I think he still takes it somewhere to have it done, but I'm not positive about that.

Seafoam works great for the intended use talked about. Perfectly safe.

I think I changed my gf habits. But not really because I do all her maintenance now. My mom is hopeless as she leases Lexus vehicles. My sisters, who knows. My dad I think I can turn when I go on leave during the holidays, his oil choice is fine but he still uses the Fram orange can of death. And he hates going to Wal Mart for oil, so if I play that angle I can turn him around.

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
Originally Posted By: MrWideTires

plus STP filter because it was on sale (I know STP filters suck).

What's wrong with STP filters? They are made by champion labs who happens to be one of the best [censored] filter manufactures. Just my 2 cents

STP filters when you open it up.. it's an exact same Supertech filter.

I know they are made by Champion labs.. but they are not made like the Mobil1 and K&N filters, they constructed more cheaply. Go here and look at it:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31190-oil-filters-dissected.html

It is still better than FRAM products.. but that's not saying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back