Ford 9N tractor gear oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1940 Ford 9N tractor. The shifter boot was torn and the rain got to it, now the gear oil looks like a milkshake.
I have discovered the recommended oil is SAE 90 mineral oil.
I found that Napa sell this for around $8 per gallon.
I have been advised not to use GL5 as the sulfer can break down some brass that is in the hydraulic pump (this tractor shares trans oil with the hydraulics).
Just thought I'd get some input from the experts, as I would prefer an 80w90 so I can use the tractor year round. All the 80w90 I can find local is GL5, I'm told the recommendation from ford was the sae 90 GL1 or an 80w90 GL3.

If I recall correctly, your local NAPA store may have what you want or can easily get it. I bought a GL4 gear oil maybe a year ago for a trans I had similar brass component concerns about.

I don't recall the brand name; what I would call an "off" brand, but it was GL4 for sure.

Hope this helps

I found 5 gal pails in Tractor Supply. "traveller" brand.
It looks like I will have to run it for a while and flush again, as there still is some moisture in the oil.

As a side note, does anyone know who makes the Traveller brand oil for Tractor supply?

Caution: The Traveller is a 20 grade (engine grade) oil, not a 90 grade (which is roughly a 50-60 grade engine viscosity). I trust Bruc381 but have been cautioned by collectors that the 9Ns really NEED a 90 grade. I'm no expert on them but did some work on a later version of that tractor for a neighbor and used a 90 grade (a GL-4/GL-5 rated Valvoline 85W-90) oil in it after being cautioned by a local guy that restores them. He said they will growl and leak with a light oil and the hydraulics may not work correctly.

If you do a search in the transmission oil analysis section, you'll see a VOA of the Traveller THF I did. We could not determine who makes the stuff for TSC, but it was a fairly weak oil. On a tractor as old as yours, that's probably not a big issue because with all it's weaknesses compared to today's oil, it's still better than any 1940 oil. My only caution would be regarding the viscosity. The Traveller's 20 grade may be to light for a geartrain designed for 90 grade. Do your research! If it turned out to be the wrong stuff, the Traveller makes a good flush!

In any case, if there are issues, you can tell us about them. Maybe there won't be issues and you can broaden the experience of the board.

Last edited:
Whew! You're on the ball! I misread your post, thinking you had bought Universal THF. I shop at TSC a fair bit but have not seen the product you mention... but I will look!

I see you live in New York. Does it get below freezing there? Do you use tractor to move snow? I have an 8N and run Ford/New Holland 135D spec tractor/transmission/hydraulic oil. My preference is the Mobil brand, but also use John Deere because of it's availability. Any oil that meets FNH spec 134D will work, be better for cold operating conditions and lift performance, and hot conditions as well. You can find 134D everywhere, John Deere, CNH, Kubota, and off brands at TSC, Napa. Go to ytmag.com under N series and search for 134D, you will find that most people with N tractors use this fluid. Philip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back