Amsoil - Toyota filter problems Ea010 & Ea009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Looking for any further information on a Amsoil problem with their filters (EA009 & Ea010) used in Toyota vehicles.

Had been using synthetic 0W-20 motor oil in my 2007 RAV4 SUV - have been changing out the oil once a year with less than 8,000 miles on it. Supposedly well within the Amsoil severe duty limit (15,000 miles) and one year change recommendation.

Received a post card from Amsoil basically stating that the Ea009 & Ea010 oil filters are not to be used for extended miles, and to use Toyota's change recommendations instead of the Amsoil published ones.

Problem is that when I do as the post card states - For more information contact AMSOIL tech services @ [email protected] after multiple times I get no reply even after waiting for weeks. Talked to a rep when finally got thru on the phone number given and was told it was Toyotas fault as their engines "have more blowby than others".

Really hoping I have not voided my Toyota warranty as I followed Amsoil instructions for the use of their filter.

Also, it is hard for me to believe that a SUV that uses very little oil, that blowby is unusually high.

Part that [censored] me off is that product claims in the printed material and web info on this product hadn't been changed even as they were sending out these postcards. Had ordered oil & filter days before I received the card.

Why would I continue to pay top dollar for a filter that lasts no longer than the stock and has been known by the producer to cause problems when used as advertised?

Anyway, any further information on this or views on what the warranty implications are would be appreciated.

Regards,
Greg

The Toyota warranty was voided when you went past 5000 miles on an oil change. Toyota doesn't have a special "If you're running AmsOil than anything goes" section in their warranty. Obviously this isn't unique to Toyota, either.

I'm not sure why AmsOil changed the recommendation on their products, even if these engines "have more blowby than others" they've still been around for 7+ years, so they've been having it for awhile. But they are a reputable company and they have their reasons I'm sure. Perhaps you could return some unused products and buy something you would be happier with.

I really doubt you'll have a problem, 7500 miles is a pretty easy amount of miles on those products and it is a reliable engine family. And you certainly are using quality products. If I were you, I'd just continue doing what you're doing. But understand what it is you're doing! You're using higher than manufacturer specd products to extend service past what they recommended. You're basically giving Toyota the finger and putting your faith in AmsOil... so I would listen to what AmsOil has to say!

Last edited:
Try some PP 5w20 (5qt jug for $20 at walmart with a $15 rebate) and a toyota filter ($5) and change every 5000 miles and your $10 oil change will do just fine.

BTW, my 2008 has NO oil consumption with PP 5w20

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back