My experience with online backup service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend using an online backup service if you are concerned about backing up more than just documents, pictures, music and videos that seldom change. This type of data can be easily burned onto DVD's and stored in a safety deposit box.

I used to rely on a Western Digital Passport to backup my data, but found that this approach has several drawbacks. First, backups do not always contain data that is up to date. Second, your data is not truly safe unless you keep the computer and backup device at separate locations. If the computer and backup device are at the same location, a fire, broken water pipe, theft or many other scenarios put your data at risk. After performing a lot of research, I ultimately opted to use an online backup service.

I selected an online storage company named Backblaze. Their service only costs $5 per month for unlimited storage and runs continuously. The client program has such a small footprint that I don't even notice it's running unless I check the system tray.

During the client program's 3-click installation, Backblaze scanned my computer and automatically determined which data to backup. The program then began to encrypt and send the selected data to their servers. If necessary, I can add other data & locations to the backup list via my account at the Backblaze site. In my 30+ years of computing I have never seen a piece of software that is so easy to install. The installation requires no configuration and you do not even have to provide a credit card during the 15-day trial period. After the initial backup, which takes 12 days on average, backups average 1-2 minutes per day. You can speed up the backup process by allocating more bandwidth, but why bother.

Other reputable online storage companies include Mozy and Carbonite. Some online storage companies offer 2GB of free storage for folks that don't have much data to backup. As for me, I have been impressed with Backblaze and intend to stick with them unless the quality of their service changes.

Sounds very nice. But I've got a couple TBs of data to deal with. Right now, I can blast it back and forth over gigabit from backup to main arrays. I can only imagine how long a full restore would take over Internet, let alone initial backup and maintenance transfers.

Still, for $5, it has value if your street blows up. That is the main benefit of these online backup services.

I'm using Mozy online backup, and couldn't be happier. The initial backup took a while, but each subsequent backup only selects files that have changed since the previous backup. I've got it set to do an auto-backup every 10 hours.

This is an excellent thread... I have sent the BlackBlaze to all my co-workers via my corporate e-mail. Us that are on the road in the field have laptops with our lives on them and they are dropped, banged and left in the cars sometimes over night to freeze in the winter. So this will come in really handy for those less than tech-savy guys I work with.

cheers3.gif

Let's see. I'll put my sensitive data that includes tax files, client data and financial records on someone elses server, hoping it really is secure and they never go out of business.

I think I'll stick with my weekly portable hard drive swap in my banks safety deposit box, tucked right along my deed, titles, stock certificates, bonds and other important paperwork.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Let's see. I'll put my sensitive data that includes tax files, client data and financial records on someone elses server, hoping it really is secure and they never go out of business.

I think I'll stick with my weekly portable hard drive swap in my banks safety deposit box, tucked right along my deed, titles, stock certificates, bonds and other important paperwork.

If Backblaze's 2,048 bit RSA decryption key is strong enough to protect classified military data then I am fairly certain that my data will not be compromised. To put this into perspective, the less secure 1,024 bit RSA can be cracked in a few seconds for a mere cost of $1 Billion USD. Long story short, I don't think my data is in peril.

Suggested RSA key Size:
Lifetime of data
Up to 2010 1024 bits
Up to 2030 2048 bits
2031 onwards 3072 bits

Originally Posted By: StevieC
For some, wearing tinfoil hats isn't even enough protection... Don't waste your breath.
smirk2.gif

That's too true. Oh, I heard that hats made using only one layer of aluminum foil no longer provide adequate protection from the current generation of military satellites. Guess we'll have to start using two layers instead, or perhaps thicker foil will work....ROTFLMAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back