Ease Of Chaging Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dilemma: New BMW diesel.Planning to change the oil more often than free maintenence plan /warranty allows/requires (every 6 months vs every year).The surgeon who recently replaced my hip has told me that my days of changing my own oil are *over* (that is,crawling under a car).Unlike with my past cars the oil filter of the diesel is right there up top...easily accessible in the engine compartment.My question is..I've read that there are devices with which you can extract a car's oil from the crankcase through the dipstick channel.Is this true and,if so,what are they called and where do you get them? And are there any caveats in using them vs draining the old fashioned way?

TIA

Yes, it's called an oil extractor and I've been using one on my BMW for a long time now. Works great. This is the one I have. There are others.

However, depending on the shape of your oil pan, an oil extractor sometimes can not get all of the oil out. Like I mentioned, on my 530i it gets it all out, but on our Jetta - not quite.

FYI, that's how all Mercedes dealerships change oil nowadays - from the top via extractor.

Does the BMW Diesel have a dipstick? The gas engines in the 3 series haven't had a dipstick since the E90/92/93 came out.

I use an extractor on my E46 - works great. I have a Pela PL-650 extractor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, it's called an oil extractor and I've been using one on my BMW for a long time now. Works great.

Outstanding! Muchas gracias! Yes,it occurred to me that if such a device existed it might not get to every drop of oil.But I figure that with 7.45 litres of fresh oil (vs 7.5) and a new filter it shouldn't be a major concern.I *am* surprised to hear what you say about MB's practices.I can see where that might save them some labor time and time on the lifts.I guess it's all about the Deutchmarks. ;-)

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Does the BMW Diesel have a dipstick? The gas engines in the 3 series haven't had a dipstick since the E90/92/93 came out.

Either mine has a dipstick or it has this strange,funny looking rod......

Sorry,bad joke.Yes,it does have a dipstick.From what I can tell it's about the only '09 Bimmer that has one although I'm not certain of that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, it's called an oil extractor and I've been using one on my BMW for a long time now. Works great. This is the one I have. There are others.

I've been using a Pela topside extractor, but that Mityvac model looks like a good one for a reasonable price. Typically these products pay for themselves with one or two oil changes.

Mercedes used oil dipstick tube to extract old oil for more than 10 years.

Someone MB owners tried both ways:

First extracted oil with Mityvac oil extractor then removed the drain plug and found no oil came out from the drain plug.

Drained oil from the drain plug as normal and re-installed drain plug, then used Mityvac and about a cup or two of oil were extract from the dipstick tube.

The cartridge oil filter of most, if not all, BMW and MB are mounted on top of engines and easily replaced with the reight tool.

I have Mityvac 7201 for more than 5 years, it costs a little more than model 7400, I used it to change oil in my 3 cars and my brother in-law use it to change oil in his MB and BMW too. It paid for itself with 1 oil change, consider that MB dealer charges $150-$200 for 8.5 quarts M1 + filter and my cost is no more than $30 (I bought oil on sale and/or with rebates).

Also, the convenience of DIY is whenever you want to change oil you can do it if you have 30 minutes or so, versus making appointment with dealer and drive there + waiting time + drive home would take up to 2-3 hours of your times.

Whatever you do, get an air-powered oil extractor. I bought a hand-pump unit from Griot's about eight years ago. While it works, it's a major PITA to do all that pumping to get all the oil out. And several years ago, the pumping handle broke, leaving only a metal nub on the end. Still works, but you have to wear heavy leather gloves now to protect your hand. . . Get an air unit, even if you have to buy a separate compressor.

OT: Jim, nice to see another guy from NH here. We moved to Durham in '64 when I was age 3. I graduated from ORHS in '79 and UNH in 83. I miss NH about this time of year -- but not Jan-Feb!
cheers3.gif

Since you are doing this in addition to the factory free maintenance I think a topside style oil extractor will work fine. It does not matter if you get it all it is still much better then running twice as long on factory fill! DO what you can do not worry about what is outside of your control or abilities! We tend to be a bunch of overly obsessive compulsive types on this forum and we often look for perfection but in this case I would say that what you have in mind is still much better then doing nothing at all!

Good Luck! P.S. If you are interested in strengthening your body with out having to use weights or machinery etc.....Their is an excellent book on Isometrics that is ideal for rehab. I have plenty of joint surgeries over the years from extreme sports and a few racing accidents that required them to cut me out of the car a few times. The book is titled "Isometric Power Revolution" It is easily the best book ever written on the subject of isometrics for those wanting to get into shape but hate to exercise or have limited mobility etc..... You can do isometrics lieing in bed so even someone bed ridden can do them! They produce increase in muscle strength with almost no increase in muscle mass. If done properly they can even be used to reduce high blood pressure. Their are plenty of Medical studies using it to reduce high blood pressure. The book is $29 from Amazon. I cannot recommend it enough. As a long term athlete I had a lot of problems from past surgeries and this one book allowed me to regain range of motion and normal joint function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back