Valvoline SynPower 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster here so I hope I ask a somewhat intelligent question.
I am the new owner of a 06 mini cooper S. Mini recommends Castrol 5w-30 synthetic. But supposedly the stuff you are able to buy at WM is different than what you buy at the dealer. So many recommend the European blend Castol 0w-30. This is alittle harder to find and I have not seen it at WM. There are also several different Mobile products that would work.
But on Mini's USA site, they list several alternative oils that meets their spec. Among the listed oils is Valvoline SynPower 5w-30.
Now for my question. I have tried using the search function here and if I am doing it correctly, have not found much info regarding Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 oil. For those of you who might know, how does it stack up against the others? Is it an inferior product and is that the reason why it is not mentioned here very much or are there other reasons?
I would appreciate any input you might be able to share. Also, if I am missing something on the search function, please lead me down the correct path.

Lon

Valvoline Synpower is at least as good as the version of Castrol Syntec that is sold at Walmart. All of the name brand gr. 3 synthetics are similar with PP being the best IMO.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Valvoline Synpower is at least as good as the version of Castrol Syntec that is sold at Walmart. All of the name brand gr. 3 synthetics are similar with PP being the best IMO.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

I would use Pennzoil Platinum, IMO out of all the GRP-III Syn's it holds the best ratings here on BITOG and it also is turbo rated.

It might be the search function as Valvoline Synpower is one of the more spoken of oils. There are also numerous UOA's.

Synpower is a very good GP-III oil with a good add pack. I especially like how it does not shear out of grade as quickly as many other oils.

30 grade oils can run a 100C cSt(thickness at operating temperature, sort of) of from 9.3 to 12.49. Synpower is 10.5. 30 grade oils will run a High Temperature High Shear rate of 2.9 to 3.6. Synpower is 3.0(energy conserving)

Synpower is a very high quality, light 30 grade oil. If that is what you need/want.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I would use Pennzoil Platinum, IMO out of all the GRP-III Syn's it holds the best ratings here on BITOG and it also is turbo rated.

The best ratings, Stevie? Really?

LOL, I know it's good oil, just teasing you a bit
grin2.gif

From what I've seen the Amsoil XL series of oils are right up there as well, they jusy don't get talked about so much :)

LOL.gif
Quit it... Quit it...
LOL.gif

Most people here on BITOG want "Off the Shelf" oils, and so this is why I rated the PP the best out of the GRP-III's. JMO. Everyone is welcome to their own.
grin2.gif

I like the XL-7500 series oils, but for the price and availability you really can't go wrong with PP IMO. If the XL was a bit cheaper or offered much better results than the PP then I would definitly pick it... But I think they are tied.
21.gif

I'm curious if this oil meets the GM 4718 spec. Valvoline says it does on their website but I don't see it on GM's list of approved oils.

Last edited:
Does the Mini call for a BMW Long-life rating LL-01 oil?

Because I found this listing on the web:

Originally Posted By: BimmerFile
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

But it's pretty misleading, because Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 (ILSAC GF-4) doesn't meet BMW LL-01, only Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 MST (European non-ILSAC formula) does and I've never seen that on the shelf.

Valvoline makes a European 5w-30 MST oil. This might be what they are referring too.

If it were my car, and I assume the "s" means turbo, I'd either buy Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1, because either passes the Hto-06 (high temp turbo deposits) standard. Synpower is supposed to by end of year, but doesn't now. Amsoil has some products that do as well.

That being said, I use SynPower all the time in my apps when it's available cheap.

If the Mini does call for BMW LL-01, I'd run M1 0W-40. Easy to get and a very good oil.

bepperb, the "s" means supercharged, so I am not sure if what you said applies or not. But it sure could.
Ben99GT, yes it does call out LL-01 for the mini and I was wondering the same as you. I have looked at the verbage on the bottle for the SynPower and see no mention of LL-01. I have not seen a bottle of the MST rated SynPower.

Thanks guy's,
Lon

Irtrees. BMW sells the Mini Cooper in Canada. The dealer
will use BMW Long Life LL-01/A3 oil. The Castrol that meets
this spec is Syntec 0w30 and thats what I use in my BMW.
Now as far as Valvoline Synpower. It is a mixture of Grp III
and IV according to their web site. This explains why Synpower
has a Pour Point of -42 C. Pennzoil Platium is said to be all
Grp III. Pennzoil has higher Calcium to keep things clean
but at what cost? High detergent competes with zinc on the
metal surface. Diesel oil has high calcium but also has higher
zinc levels to compensate. With the reduction of zinc in SM
oil, higher detergent will cause increased wear in my opinion.
High detergent is said to lower surface tension and lower
shear pressure which can cause higher bearing wear.
I've decided on Valvoline Synpower in my new 09 Saturn Vue
after it's broken in.

I know of a few guys in the Portland Or. area that use Mobil 1 0w40 for daily driving and weekend HPDE's at Portland International Raceway. I have never seen a Mini S towed off of the track or towed out of the complex after the days events. The small group of Mini owners that are track junkies all swear by this oil.

I had excellent UOA with 5w30 Synpower (in a 5w20-spec engine).
Use with confidence. Any of the leading syn brands will protect your engine very well. Buy what's on sale.

Originally Posted By: buster
Valvoline makes a European 5w-30 MST oil. This might be what they are referring too.

I think so. I've also never seen the 5W30 MST. but I have to admit I haven't looked too hard. Valvoline website (FAQ) on Synpower says it uses both Group III and Group IV base stocks, so I've tended to stick to M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W30 (Both labeled European Formula and meeting the BMW LL-01 spec). I do also use the BMW branded High Performance 5W30 when the dealer is paying for oil changes under free maintenance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back