'00 V6 Accord Slipping Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a little advice here. 2000 Accord v6 Coupe. 131k miles, mostly 40 + miles a day to work and back. Stop and go Chicago traffic. Twice a month I make a 250 mile round trip.

I have changed the trans fluid with Honda ATF Z-1 annualy, since 80k miles, or last 4 years. Problem is I get a 500 rpm slip for the first shift 1-2, in the morning followed by a soft thud as it shifts. Other symptom is delayed 2-1 downshift. Otherwise the trans is solid, from 2-3 & 3-4 shift. Cruises just fine...especially when warmed up it is close to like new...

Is there anything I can do to help? I know these transmissions are the achilles of my 6th gen (98-02) Accord's. Do I ride it out, until rebuild? No car does not qualify for cash for clunkers either! I would love to make this car last another 2 years...help pay off some bills. I have been putting aside cash for a rebuilt trans, but I have heard that sometimes the rebuilt transmission's in this car are just as bad, so I do not look forward to spending 2-3k on a car that is worth 2-3k.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Honda probably won't goodwill the repair since the mileage is quite high, but it's still worth a try. One member on this forum had Honda goodwill most of the repair on his '02 Accord V6 at around your mileage, so you might have a chance. Otherwise, a rebuild runs $2500 for these.

AM Transmissions in Arizona does a remanufactured trany w/all applicable updates plus remanufactued torgue converter for $1079 plus $157.50 for shipping.

30 Months Unlimited Miles Warranty.

for the warranty you need to buy an auxillary ATF oil cooler and use Honda Z1 ATF excusively.

You will need to find a good local shop but I think you can do it for less than $2K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B7XA-TRAN...sQ5fAccessories

BTW I don't work for,own or in any way affiliated with AM Transmissions but I a have an Accord with auto trany and have been doing some prelimenary research just in case.

If its wear or component failure induced slippage, there is NOTHING that you can do.

If its just some varnish binding some solenoids, maybe some cleaning would help. Use a high mileage ATF from Castrol or Valvoline. This might help with some leaky internal seals and maybe bump pressure where needed. It should also help clean.
Switch to change intervals twice a year.
And, research your transmission family. Could be a filter, screen, or .... that might simply be replaced or cleaned.

Toss in a bottle of lubegard for a couple weeks prior to the high mileage ATF exchange.

Our'00 Accord V6 Coupe is still doing well but hearing stories like yours shivers my timbers. Ours just turned 72K. Have been doing regular trans fluid drains, including one full fluid exchange at 60K. I also now have a Magnefine filter on the return cooler line. Not sure what else I can do. There is one hopeful point for ours... it doesn't have to endure much city driving. Mostly hiway/rural roads, so we are hoping the whole car will last as long as we want it to. Let us know what you end up doing.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Our'00 Accord V6 Coupe is still doing well but hearing stories like yours shivers my timbers. Ours just turned 72K. Have been doing regular trans fluid drains, including one full fluid exchange at 60K. I also now have a Magnefine filter on the return cooler line. Not sure what else I can do. There is one hopeful point for ours... it doesn't have to endure much city driving. Mostly hiway/rural roads, so we are hoping the whole car will last as long as we want it to. Let us know what you end up doing.

Yeah, it is a bad deal, but hey the rest of the car is just fine! Ha!

Thanks for the suggestions. Times a ticking for the car.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Yeah, it is a bad deal, but hey the rest of the car is just fine! Ha!

Thanks for the suggestions. Times a ticking for the car.

Let us know what ends up happening and the results of any attempted fix.

Thanks.

Honda's Accord/Odyssey/Pilot trannies have been cursed from the start IMO - they've just fixed this issue on the newer models with a 4/5 shaft design as Honda doesn't want to buy a proper planetary gearset based tranny from a outside company like Jatco or Aisin-AW...

A friend ownes a tranny shop and he tells me he does Honda trannys all the time. Not sure of the years involved. Some years are cronic.

I am the original owner of a 6th generation Accord with 87K. I've done much research on the problems with these A/T's and I've concluded that the problems are with both 4 and 6 cylinder models. Nthach is correct that Honda needs get their transmissions from an outside source because their inhouse attempts STINK. Undummy is also correct that we need to stop buying Hondas until they fix the problems (I know I will).

From reading numerous Honda forums I've concluded that the best way to make these INFERIOR transmissions last is an inline filter, auxillary cooler and Redline D4 ATF.

PS: The thing I find interesting is that after numerous discussions with owners, rebuilders etc...nobody can give a definitive answer as to what the weakness is. One rebuilder stated that weak "carrier bearings" was the problem. Another stated that the torque converters usually fail (and that their was no problem with carrier bearings).. Another stated that in an attempt to smooth out the shifts (for American tastes) Honda had gone to an 'overlapping' between shifts (to make it seamless) which caused heating of the fluid etc...

IMO, it's just a POOR DESIGN and Honda should bite the bullit and get an outside sourced A/T before they lose market share.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I am the original owner of a 6th generation Accord with 87K. I've done much research on the problems with these A/T's and I've concluded that the problems are with both 4 and 6 cylinder models. Nthach is correct that Honda needs get their transmissions from an outside source because their inhouse attempts STINK. Undummy is also correct that we need to stop buying Hondas until they fix the problems (I know I will).

Even a MOPAR has a better tranny than a Honda - even the troublesome Caravan/Voyager units.

Honda's auto trannies are automated shift manuals sans the clutch - think the ZF Astronic used in big rigs and tour buses. It shifts much like a regular gearbox - but the synchros, shift forks and dogs are replaced by hydraulic controls and clutches. Forward and reverse are still shifted manually via shift fork.

Last edited:
Yeah I realize I am not alone with my transmission woes. I did some research and learned that Honda does in-house their transmissions, I assume for cost? Very disappointing. I am happy that I have almost 10 years from 10/99, when I bought the car, but I do like to run my cars until it is more like rusting subframe issue (ie; safety) then this. I guess that if I want to hit my 200k + mark I will need to replace the transmission. I will post if I decide to rebuild with cost, or if I find a patch, or maybe even if it blows up!

Prepare for new trans time any day......best to do it before it leaves you stranded and you have to pay a $150 tow or worse. If you can do the trans yourself get the $1895 ebay one. The guy's feedback is 99.5% positive with many sales.

Last edited:
the big issue in the early 2000 models (and probably current) is that not enough tranny fluid reaches the topside of the gears and things start to go awry after a short while.
honda's solution was to keep it hidden and throw blame to the owner for not doing the maintenance.
Honda put a silent recall out (in other words, the news media never got wind of it, of course!) and the fix was this:
the dealer will take a picture of the upper side of the
tranny, and send that to honda and honda will determine whether to replace the transmission OR put in the gerryrig fix. (as so the dealer won't be able to rip off headquarters!
my friend's 04 accord got the gerryrig fix. they tapped the tranny cooler line and routed a line to the topside of the tranny where the "issue" was and so now as you drive, fluid gets poured to the topside of the tranny by means of a line that shouldn't be there in the first place.
Does it work? I guess so, but if i were a honda owner.. I'd be getting a new transmission when the whole ordeal was over.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I guess so, but if i were a honda owner.. I'd be getting a new transmission when the whole ordeal was over.

Uh there is no such thing as a "silent recall" as most are listed with NHTSA and can be found on their website along with other automotive data sites. What you probably mean is a TSB (technical service bulletin) with an in field fix for the issue.

If it were my car, I would want a new transmission with the extra line installed.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: EricF
I guess so, but if i were a honda owner.. I'd be getting a new transmission when the whole ordeal was over.

Uh there is no such thing as a "silent recall" as most are listed with NHTSA and can be found on their website along with other automotive data sites. What you probably mean is a TSB (technical service bulletin) with an in field fix for the issue.

If it were my car, I would want a new transmission with the extra line installed.

Actually it was an extension of the warranty to 7 years and 100K. After a lawsuit it was further warranted until 91 months and 109K. (At least for the BAXA unit in my 01' 4 cylinder)
My 91 months are over and I'm hoping that frequent fluid changes and the Magnafine filter keep me going until the I use the last of my Honda Z-1 fluid. After that I plan on using the Redline D4
and maybe adding an oil cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back