Strange whatsit in Mahle OC47 filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UPS man just dropped these to me on Monday. I will be using them on a 1969 VW van that has an aftermarket remote oil filter system on it. And these OC47 filters match the recommended specs for the filter system setup for this engine.
(VW provided no oil filtering system until the 1970s.)

These are, stout and heavy and appear beautifully made devices...seem almost too nice to use in a disposable application! But they are only $4.50 each.

Anyway, second picture, they have an odd looking--uh--thing in the oil outlet port. Looks like a bypass valve...it must be. But it sure is wierd looking. At first glance, it looks like it blocks the hole but there are slots around it and that little hole in the middle.

When I installed the first one yesterday, I tried to pour oil in to fill the filter and it just sat on top of the thingamajig, so I just put it on dry. Of course the oil light took longer than usual to go off when I started it, but operates fine now that it's full.
I wonder if you are supposed to push this open to get oil in there? I was afraid to break something.

DSC01248.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

Originally Posted By: labman
Could it be the ADBV?

Could be ... there was a similar filter posted a while back (by chunky?).

labman - see if the valve is super easy to move. It could just be an ADBV for the center core.

Well since there is no "rubber" and only metal showing through the oil inlet holes, I'm inclined to beieve it's a combination ADBV and bypass.
Nothing seems to move--rock solid.
I can barely suck any air out of the center hole and can't push any into it.
I wish I could find a webpage that shows a cutaway view.
I have two of these for spares so I could cut one apart, but I hate to just for curiosity sake.
Interesting construction for sure.
BTW, this says made in Austria on it and has instruction in four languages.

Wow, that is a strange one. You don't think this filter was meant for some kind of by-pass filter setup and that piece in the center core is some kind of flow control orifice?
21.gif

If you cut one open, you could probably determine exactly what's going on. Too bad you didn't order more for "sacrificial purposes".

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
...some kind of flow control orifice?
21.gif

It says on the exploded diagram that it's the ADBV, then labels the "clean side" and "dirty side." I don't get why they did that unless it closes both inlet and outlet ports against drainback--maybe in case the filter is mounted above the oil gallery so it won't siphon out through the outlet? Seems unecessary with normal filter mountings.
I guess I'm going to cut open one of my spares. They aren't that expensive or hard to find. I'll get more ordered before I need them.

Originally Posted By: labman
OK, it isn't the ADBV. Also, I don't like the dome end bypass.

Ya. I prefer them on the threaded end too, but it doesn't bother me much either way.

The photo is turned to where I can't quite see on the label. Is it made in Austria?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
The photo is turned to where I can't quite see on the label. Is it made in Austria?

That's right.

MahleNiceRolledThreads.jpg

MahleOverview1.jpg

MahleDomeEndBypass.jpg

This is the back of the valve you see in the center hole.
It won't let oil drain from either the inlet holes or the center hole.
Both valve discs (adbv and bypass are rubberized metal.

This thing as a work of art.

MahleADBV.jpg

263 sq in of media:
MahleOverview2263sqinofmedia.jpg

Thanks for the sacrificial lamb.
My brother had one on a combine harvester years ago from the factory and I was impressed by that one also.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

That's the only place (else) that I've ever seen them advertised. I don't even know if the original company is still in business. It probably got absorbed by Mahle or is rebadging for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back