TRANS FLUID IN HARLEY PRIMARY CASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about just using a plain non detergent 30 weight oil in the primary? It should be light enough of a weight oil and should do for a lubricant?

Muleskinner,I have a 2004 Harley flht,I have used gtx 10w40,the old Harley chain case lube,Amsoil 20w50 M.C.oil in the past.At present I have Harley plus trans and primary fluid in the primary.To be honest cant' tell the difference in any of the lubes mentioned proformance wise.If you want to use 30w. oil it probably would be fine.

Quote:

Quote:

Well I look at it this way - it's a double-row chain and two double-row gears. Oh, and a clutch basket. You can probably run just about anything in there as long as it doesn't have a huge amount of moly.

Personally, I use the Rotella 15W-40 and change it every 5,000 miles.

There's a virgin oil analysis somewhere on this board for HD Formula+. I believe it specs out as a GL-3 lubricant.

The only other thing would be to make sure and get something that isn't going to foam up for this application.

What is a GL3 lubricant? I'm familure with 4 and 5, but not 3.

OK, here's the link to the VOA.

HD_Formula+_Virgin_Oil_Analysis

Just a word of advice- don't run your primary 15k-20k miles on any oil. There's no filter on the primary so all the clutch material, wear metal, etc. just floats around in the oil. I had MTL in mine last go-round and after 4100 miles the oil still looked good, but there was a lot of ---- on the magnet and in suspension. No way would I go more than 5k miles between oil changes on the primary. It only holds one qt, so it's not like it'll break the bank for me to change it every time with the engine oil.

I switched back to Formula+ after that one run with MTL- MTL is good stuff but my clutch seems to like the Formula+ better...
twocents.gif

Well, for sure this is a concern..I ran M1 15-50 in my primary till they came out with M1 5-40 T&S...pulled a 400# trailer with wife all around this country..sold the bike with 135k on the clock..still had the original clutch, chain & compensator..put in a new chain shoe @ 100k..it had a very small crack on the back side (check yours at @ 50k)..remember that you need a oil that can handle the heat from the crank bearing and lower end..I change every 5k..also, remember that there are 2 other items being lubed..the starter engagement gear and the push rod for clutch engagement..both of mine looked new at @ 100k...now, if your using the bike as a bar hopper..put anything in it..anything will work... Joe

Quote:

Just a word of advice- don't run your primary 15k-20k miles on any oil. There's no filter on the primary so all the clutch material, wear metal, etc. just floats around in the oil. I had MTL in mine last go-round and after 4100 miles the oil still looked good, but there was a lot of ---- on the magnet and in suspension. No way would I go more than 5k miles between oil changes on the primary. It only holds one qt, so it's not like it'll break the bank for me to change it every time with the engine oil.

I switched back to Formula+ after that one run with MTL- MTL is good stuff but my clutch seems to like the Formula+ better...
twocents.gif

I agree with your comments about debris & contamination. My point is that you will never exceed the limits of the MTL and it's only 2 bucks more. I found 5 qts on a close out table for $2 each so I am set for a long while. In my experience I like the clutch feel of the MTL better especially when it's cold because it has cold flow properties of a 5w30 motor oil so I don't get the cold clutch drag in the colder months.

Quote:

...I agree with your comments about debris & contamination. My point is that you will never exceed the limits of the MTL and it's only 2 bucks more. I found 5 qts on a close out table for $2 each so I am set for a long while...

That's a killer deal on MTL at $2 a qt.
shocked.gif

Hey Skunky, glad to read a testimonial with so many miles involved, are you still recommending M1 5-40 in the primary? And what other oils have you used for alot of miles in your Harleys? I've ridden a 59 Pan across Canada and U.S. with mastercraft 50 weight always, bottom end knocking after about 30k. My 93 evo always had H.D. dino, no problems, had 50K. And I'm just switching to mobil 1 v-twin syn. in my 06 electra-glide, have redline in tranny, going to rotella dino 15-40 in primary till I have more confidence with syn. in primary. Thanks, Mike

Synthetic in the primary is fine. Try the Mobil1 vtwin 10w40 if you are using the 20w50 in the engine. Then try Mobil1 85w140 in your trans. All available at autozone.

In my BT I tried Amsoil ATF for a couple years and just didn't like the feel of the clutch. No problems really, just didn't give me as good of feedback I thought. Before that was 10W-40 M/C Amsoil and now is the new 10W-30 M/C Amsoil. Feels fine now. I doubt if any lube within limits will have much affect on wear but they do seem to have a slight affect on the feel of the clutch. The 10W-40 and 10W-30 feel about the same. I think I will stick with the 10W-30 M/C oil.

In my XL I've tried just about everything and am now trying Formula +. Its been working fine but I've only got about 1,000 miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back