2001 Acura CL-S Transmission Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy has a 2001 Acura CL Type-S with 75,000 miles. The fluid is dark brown, and the transmission is showing signs of failure with a harsh 2-3 shift. Of course, the car is a salvaged vehicle
smirk.gif
, so there's no warranty on the transmission, but the local dealership was nice enough to install the oil jet anyway.

I'm going to drain and refill the transmission three times with SuperTech Dexron-III(H). This should remove a little over 80% of the old fluid. At the final refill, I'll add 6-7 ounces of Lubegard Black HFM Supplement.

If I idle the car for 15 minutes and shift through all of the gears between each drain and refill, will that adequately circulate all of the fluid even if the vehicle is not driven? I can't drive the car between drain and refills due to other circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered lifting the front end up, removing the wheels, and let it roll through the gears at partial throttle?

Or just take it for a few minutes drive after each drain. Will give you an opportunity to feel any improvement in shifting each time. I'd do 2 drain/fills with driving after, then drop and clean pan/magnets and change filter if applicable. If that doesnt fix the problem than its beyond the help of fluids IMO.

15 Minutes should be fine. The longer you can let it run the better. Transmission pumps circulate fluid slowly and you want the new and old fluid to mix well so that when you drain you're dropping as much dirty fluid as possible. Use either the Lubegard or Transmedic to improve the harsh 2-3 shift and help extend the life of the transmission.

The drain plug on CL looks like end of a socket you literally insert your socket rachet into a square socked head. That's why it is easy to confuse it with something else, it is located on the driver's side about 8 inches from the bottom end of the bumperif you use the ATF dipstick as a refference point it will be few inches to the front of the car and and 2-3 inches towards the centre. Or just feel with your had under the tranny for a square socket head bolt that will be it. Get yourself a long funnel since refilling trough dipstick is a major pain.
Hope this helps.

I usually do not lift the car just park on the driveway slide the pan under. The bolt can be reached with a regular rachett. You may get yourself a foot of 0.5 inch pipe to stick it over rachet and give yourself a bit more lever (I needed that the first time).

Not sure what circumstance would prevent you from driving a car to circulate the fluid.

ATF does circulate rapidly. I'd leave it in P or R for 5 minutes each to warm it up.

Prior to starting, I would also add 1 ounce of Lubegard black or Platinum to EACH quart of ATF that you will be using, including the flush quarts.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Buddy has a 2001 Acura CL Type-S with 75,000 miles. The fluid is dark brown, and the transmission is showing signs of failure with a harsh 2-3 shift. Of course, the car is a salvaged vehicle, so there's no warranty on the transmission, but the local dealership was nice enough to install the oil jet anyway.

I'm going to drain and refill the transmission three times with SuperTech Dexron-III(H). This should remove a little over 80% of the old fluid. At the final refill, I'll add 6-7 ounces of Lubegard Black HFM Supplement.

If I idle the car for 15 minutes and shift through all of the gears between each drain and refill, will that adequately circulate all of the fluid even if the vehicle is not driven? I can't drive the car between drain and refills due to other circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

Dude, are you the same person who's so against LubeGard additives?:

Lubegard Platnimum? Mystery oil or not?

54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back