CLK430 Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like a recommendation for an over the counter synthetic. The vehicle is an '02 Mercedes CLK430 Coupe with about 20K miles on it.

Car will spend a lot of time in the garage and probably see 5 to 10K max per year (probably closer to 5K).

Mobil 1 0W40 or Mobil Truck/SUV 5W40? Which one would you recommend and why? I am not concerned with warranty coverage. The manual specs. 229.1 or 229.3 and while Mobil 1 0W40 is recommended by name I'm thinking that T/SUV 5W40 might be a better choice.

Also, should I stick with the Mann fleece filter cartridge ($15) or got with a Wix element ($6).

Thanks for the input.

Hi,
IMHO I believe that the fleece filter is very important and I use the OEM filter in my Benz

Mercedes Benz allow both 0w-40 and 5w-40 Approved & Listed synthetics. For me even if warranty is of no consequence I would stay with M1 0w-40

M1 0w-40 is an extremely good oil, probably one of the best synthetic engine oils ever produced. I am staying on M1 0w-40 until my car is ex-warranty at least

I met with MB Service Reps last week and they are getting quite amazing engine life out of cars that use M1 0w-40 exclusively. They have no excessive wear or other oil related durability issues. All MB Dealers here in OZ use M1 0w-40 exclusively!

Regards
Doug

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:

M1 0w-40 is an extremely good oil, probably one of the best synthetic engine oils ever produced.

You're going to get a reaction from Ted about that comment Doug !
wink.gif
grin.gif

My father's last Benz was a C180, the dealership always used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

I would stay with the oem Mann filter.

As far as the 0w-40 being the best synthetic ever produced that wasn't my impression from reading on this board.

I'd run the new GC, 0w-30, which meets the MB 229.3 specification.

If you want to order something, I'd go with the Amsoil 5w-40 that I just tested after 9600 miles in my 1.8L, 225 Hp turbo engine. It looked like I had 3k-4k of margin left with that service fill.

Tooslick

Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic meets both MB specs, BMW's LL specs, and multiple AECA and VW specs.

This is good stuff with real PAO in it.

Easy to find over the counter.

It's 10-30 meets more specs than M1.

all good suggestions... find a good mercedes discounter (PM me if you need info), and get the real mann filters.

JMH

I was just reading over on the MBUSA web site that as of model year 2005 MB cars sold in the US no longer come with the FSS oil life monitor. MB has gone to a straight 13,000 mile or 1 year OCI (10,000 mile or 1 year for V12 and AMG models). In addition, all 2005 models require the use of 229.5 oil and fleece filters.

Thanks all for the input.

After thinking about it and and reviewing all the input I'm going to stick with the Mann fleece filter.

As far as the oil I'll probably end up going with Mobil 1 0W40. I'm using GC in my allroad (2.7T) and my Jag S-type (4.0 V8) but it is getting harder to find so I'll probably stick with the Mobil 1 in the CLK which is available everywhere.

Some of the other oils mentioned are certainly good oils but I really like to be able to get the oil OTC.

Thanks again.

quote:

Originally posted by Toyota18:
Mobil1 0w-40 cant be a bad oil at all.Factory fill for all AMG's.5W-50 for SLR

I believe in the USA this oil has also become factory fill and recommended for the Dodge Viper.

M1 0w-40 is a good oil as long as you don't drive in hot climate with a turbo. I have a 96 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon and, twice with M1 0w-40 on trips in the summer betwween San Diego and Phoenix the combination of oil temp rise and oil pressure drop caused my A/C to be cut off. I had switched from Red Line 10w-40 to M1 0w-40, and after the second time, switched back to Red Line and it never happened again. In fact a month or so ago I made two trips in weather over 120F and, with the Red Line, and the A/C worked just fine. Not all 40 weight oils are the same. M1 0w-40 should be though of as a 30 weight oil. It is not up to the job in hot weather with a turbo. I think it sheared down to something much less than a 40 weight. The first trip on M1 only failed on the way home, and the second trip failed on the way to Phoenix and I stopped at a speed shop, bought some Red Line oil, a plastic pan, and a wrench, and changed it that night at a closed gas station. And yes, I disposed of the old oil in their oil drum and left the drain pan as a trade for using their station. The A/C on the way home was worth it all.

How about Redline 5w-20 as suggested by Dr. Haas?
wink.gif
grin.gif

No, seriously, M1 0w-40 is a good choice; afterall, anything thicker than an xW-30 is plain overkill, anyway.

Besides, oil viscosity has a very limited effect on wear, anyway.

MW

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I was just reading over on the MBUSA web site that as of model year 2005 MB cars sold in the US no longer come with the FSS oil life monitor. MB has gone to a straight 13,000 mile or 1 year OCI (10,000 mile or 1 year for V12 and AMG models). In addition, all 2005 models require the use of 229.5 oil and fleece filters.

Latest GC 0w-30 spec. shows meeting 229.5
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back