Will too much oil cause "engine noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slightly overfull in the crankcase in my truck. It does tend make this "noise" on start up and just curious if maybe this too much oil is contributing? I usually round it up to 1/2 qt more because reading about it somewhere on here I think, overfilling by only this much will not hurt anything. Just curious,,,,AR

I have been under the impression, that for most engines, it is actually "safer" to be 2 qts low that to be 1 qt over. half a quart, probably isn't a problem for most engines. I often accidentally overfill mine by a small fraction of a qt, but if i register any more than about a 1/4" above the full line on my dipstick i make sure to drain a little out before running it.

different engines can generate different problems when overfilled... some will "froth" up the oil and reduce its effectiveness, others can potencially force oil into places you don't want it. Many owners of jeeps with the inline 6 4.0L pre 1991, have noted issues with their engines "blowing" oil when it is filled all the way(to the upper marker on the dip), that they actually work better about a qt low.

You said it's a "truck".. so i'm assuming a fairly large sump capacity (around 6qts or more)... for most larger sump capacities, 1/2qt over shouldn't generate any problems.

I personally wouldn't do it unless it were to be an excessive oil user.

If you only have to add a little oil in 3-5K miles, just check and add as needed.

I'd rather slightly underfill then to go over the full line, and I'm picky about that too.

I just honestly don't see the point in it, especially if it doesn't rightly use it anyway.

I don't think it's an issue in anything other than a low profile car where they had to configure the sump to squish it into the reduced vertical limitations of the vehicle. This all sorta became an issue (the "DO NOT OVER FILL" or "MAX SAFE OVERFILL" on the dipstick) shortly after the second arab oil embargo and fuel economy sent the cars smaller and lower. The "two drain plug" sump was introduced during this evolution in some Ford engines so it could contour the cross member. It may have had a little to do with reducing hp losses due to crankcase windage. Things they didn't care too much about in common passenger cars before then.

Plus or minus a 1/2 quart wouldn't have me losing any sleep.

The only reason why I added my question is because I have to buy 5qt's of oil to make up 4.5qts. While I hate using any left over oil for a later oil change and I hate just throwing in the catch pan. I would rather just pour the whole 5.0qts in the truck and forget it with out having to worry about frothing and overfilling damage. But many say different things like "Won't hurt a thing." While others says "Don't do it!"

quote:

Originally posted by Timothy Ferguson:
But many say different things like "Won't hurt a thing." While others says "Don't do it!"

Potential problems with overfilling will be highly vehicle/engine dependent. The way the vehicle is used may also exacerbate any problems associated with overfilling such as high G turns, going up and/or down steep inclines. The problem I'd be most concerned with is oil foaming which you could test for. Do a search, I think this was discussed in another thread.

quote:

Originally posted by Timothy Ferguson:
What about Rangers? I own a 2000 Ford Ranger. 4.5 sump capacity with oil filter change.

Cool, another fellow Ranger owner. My truck is 98 Ranger equipped with the 2.5L engine. My sump is also 4.5qts with filter change. I'll drain about 1/2 qt or so. Also, I placed an order for SX-UP from Specialty Formulations. So I'm looking forward to it,,,AR

A buddy of mine said that last week the GM dealer he took his car in for an oil change overfilled his `05 Blazer by 1 qt. and the engine produced "moaning" sounds the next day until he drained out the extra qt..

save the extra 0.5q for general use in a pump oiler, or save it and use it with 4q next change.

I have a miscelaneuos motor oil container(5 qt) I use for the last bit of oil containers I don't use( I simply drain what's left into them (even the bottles I think are empty). I use this as , rinseing out oil pans(a real sickness of getting all the old oil out) and lawn equipment oil. So I have a couple of qts of mobil one/ maxlife syn/ penzoil/ proline/ valvolineAC/ motorcraft brew to use. the lawn mower doesn't care.

Round here I keep reading that its okay to overfill, on my Suzuki Aerio Ive been complaining about my mechanic who overfills it just about everytime I bring it in. I bring in the 5 quart jug, and each time I urge him to put inbetween 4 and 4.5 quarts, he tells me the manual calls for 5, and I tell him it doesnt completely drain 5 and to just put 4 and then check the stick...each time he fills to the top dot on my stick, not only does this annoy me, but recently days after an oil change I inspect my colder heat range plugs(only one of them) only to find my plug covered in what appears to be fresh Mobil 1...I suspect the overfill and blow by through the PCV and possibly the breather...oil level dropped to just below the top dot(which is where I prefer it) and hasnt dropped since...I recently inspected/replaced my plugs since and found no oil on my plugs and the oil level has stayed consistant.

So in conclusion I dont believe overfilling or filling to the full line is not the best in my/car's case.

So then my question is what can I expect from oil in my combustion chamber? What effect does this have? BTW Ive got spark knock and pinging issues since about 15k(currently got 36k)...any possible relation to this?

Sure, oil in the combustion chamber can cause pinging. It just doesn't burn very well ..kinda leaves a nice ignitor for the next fuel charge. It appears that this may be one of those squished econo boxes that I was talking about earlier.

Kinda hard not to(stress) when youve got spark knock and pinging issues(which isnt all that uncommon among Aerios)...and being common and looking for reasons as well as remedies, could the dip stick marker be too high? As I said, my car has been repeatedly been filled to this limit and then level dropped and stay consistant for roughly 5000 miles.

Buy 9 quarts and two filters when you buy your oil. You will use 4.5 now and 4.5 for the next change. Throwing it out seems crazy!

quote:

Originally posted by ShortBuSX:
...could the dip stick marker be too high?...

Maybe the dipstick holder tube isn't pressed fully into the oil pan/block, giving a false reading. Or, maybe you want to swap dipsticks with an indentical engine/vehicle to see if the dipstick was incorrectly manufactured.

ADD the 1/2 quart of oil. It will not harm the engine. My wife's car takes 3.5 quarts, I always put 4 quarts.

Or you can use the 1/2 of oil as 'make up' oil 3000 miles from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back