Fit is go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigger is better...
LOL.gif
Gimme a break!

small cars have saved us plenty of money for the past 22 years and hopefully for a few more years . ;- )

figure we pay less than double than that of S.U.V. or other less fuel efficient vehicle . Even at these lower gas prices . We fill up both YARIS on an average of every 2 and a 1/2 weeks . Usually about 9 gallons a pop . Like to take trips out of town on the weeked . Both are hovering around 37 m.p.g. overall since purchased .

Last edited:
Well, I don't know how big the gas tank is on the Yaris, but I must point out that the Fit's tank is only 10.6 (I think) gallons. The dealer gassed her up for me before delivery yesterday and I drove maybe 10 miles on urban interstate to for fun. Then, today, I put another 120 or so miles on her on my commute. The tank is now about halfway between 3/4 and 1/2 full. That seems to indicate that at best I'll go three days between fill-ups...

Well, at least they'll be cheaper fill-ups!

forgot to mention the '09 YARIS now has SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS , SIDE CURTAIN AIR BAGS ( Front and Rear ) , and ANTI LOCK BRAKES as standard features . Vehicle Stability Control with Traction Control be good addition as well . Maybe 2010 along with the ACTIVE HEAD RESTRAINTS and AIR BAGS for rear hatch door like that of the IQ .

for the price of a corlla vs. a yaris, adn the close fuel economy i'd get a corolla simply for the size.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Can't believe you guys get so excited over little economy cars. It's like you're drooling over a Ferrari or something.

I'm with ya, bro. I'll take my 34 mpg (highway) Impala any day over a Japanese subcompact deathtrap. For just a few mpg penalty, I traded my Chevy Cobalt for the current Impala. It just wasn't worth a little bit of mpg difference.

Um, it's not a "death trap." It utilizes Honda's unibody/frame "ACE™" technology that directs energy of an impact away from the occupants and nets the car and it earned five-star safety rating...

The idea of "bigger is safer" is a bit silly when you look at the Autobahn and the fact that Germany traditionally had a lower death rate in accidents despite having no speed limits...

The bottom line is that technology trumps "size" as the bigger cars of the 1950s were deathtraps...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/small-cars-rate-poorly-in-new-crash-tests/

Hate to P on yer party, but it's true. Kinda hard for that ACE technology to direct the impact from the other car away when it's already passed thru ya. Like I said before, I had a Cobalt and the savings in gas just wasn't worth the lack of comfort and safety(I'm 6'5"). The Cavalier, on the other hand, did get close to 40 mpg, but the Cobalt was only 3 mpg better than the Impala @ 31 combined. If you commute a lot of miles, then gas savings add up. I drive 120-180 miles a week and the difference, even at 4 bucks a gallon, wasn't enough to worry about.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Bigger is better...
LOL.gif
Gimme a break!

Yep, broken legs, face, etc.
LOL.gif

I guess, but I think a better strategy is to focus on driving defensively as opposed to finding a bigger car. Remember, while bigger is bigger, you must draw a line somewhere. If size was really that important, we'd all be driving 18-wheelers around. So, there's a happy medium somewhere.

Nevertheless, let's not hijack Brian's thread or rain on his parade. If we want to discuss small cars, we should start a new thread.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Can't believe you guys get so excited over little economy cars. It's like you're drooling over a Ferrari or something.

I'm with ya, bro. I'll take my 34 mpg (highway) Impala any day over a Japanese subcompact deathtrap. For just a few mpg penalty, I traded my Chevy Cobalt for the current Impala. It just wasn't worth a little bit of mpg difference.

Um, it's not a "death trap." It utilizes Honda's unibody/frame "ACE™" technology that directs energy of an impact away from the occupants and nets the car and it earned five-star safety rating...

The idea of "bigger is safer" is a bit silly when you look at the Autobahn and the fact that Germany traditionally had a lower death rate in accidents despite having no speed limits...

The bottom line is that technology trumps "size" as the bigger cars of the 1950s were deathtraps...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/small-cars-rate-poorly-in-new-crash-tests/

Hate to P on yer party, but it's true. Kinda hard for that ACE technology to direct the impact from the other car away when it's already passed thru ya. Like I said before, I had a Cobalt and the savings in gas just wasn't worth the lack of comfort and safety(I'm 6'5"). The Cavalier, on the other hand, did get close to 40 mpg, but the Cobalt was only 3 mpg better than the Impala @ 31 combined. If you commute a lot of miles, then gas savings add up. I drive 120-180 miles a week and the difference, even at 4 bucks a gallon, wasn't enough to worry about.

Those were 40 mile an hour "off-set" crashes that are actually pretty rare and almost a worst case scenario, and I'm not even sure they used the new body style Fit. And despite the fact that we are seeing more small cars on the roads here since the 70s and early 80s, the death rate due to accidents is decreasing to 60s levels even despite the fact we have a lot more cars on the road and a larger population.

I agree that if you're not comfortable driving in a smaller car than you probably shouldn't be driving it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Nevertheless, let's not hijack Brian's thread or rain on his parade. If we want to discuss small cars, we should start a new thread.

cheers3.gif

Thanks Critic!
01.gif

I guess that makes us small car drivers thrill seekers or dare devils . Like I stated earlier , almost 22 years of little putt , putt cars ( clown cars ) and still here . ;- )

Last edited:
As for a COROLLA ( base model ) , it costs almost $2,000 more than a base YARIS . Test drove several '08 and '09 COROLLAs and they had numerous rattles , a loose bolt ( door hinge , '08s ) , scratched or scuffed interior , hoods that were out of align from factory ( '08s ) , stiffer ride ( '08s ) , and were not willing to move on price as much as a YARIS . Sometimes it about finances or preference . Not overall safety . What good is safety on the road when we run out of fuel or gas gets to high to drive anyways . ;- )

Last edited:
Brian:

Nice choice. Once again, Honda proves that it is indeed possible to build highly desirable and fun cars that are small and economical.

Now, when may we expect your first UOA???
wink.gif

Enjoy the new ride!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back