High School ( Then and now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2007 versions are of course not real... Otherwise we would have been in huge trouble.

School fights? happens all the time and students get warning or disciplined, but not expelled or swat team.

Fire crackers? They are everywhere still in 2009, no swat or terror watch either.

Summer school still exists for 2007 for those who fail classes.

Guns was never allowed and should never be allowed in school, 1957 or 2007.

Hugs doesn't get you on a predator list, and if you are older than 7 years old and need a hug after a fall, you are the one that needs to be on a little perv list anyways.

The first time I watch the movie Grease, I almost feel sick after seeing what those 50s, 60s boys did back in the days if that's according to the movie. Most kids now a days are much more disciplined if their parents did a good job. Those whose parents did do a good job raising them would be punks back then and right now, and in the future.

If the catholic priests sexual abuses are any indicators, it is that the old days aren't better, except that we didn't see any of the dirty stuff tucked under the carpet.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The first time I watch the movie Grease, I almost feel sick after seeing what those 50s, 60s boys did back in the days if that's according to the movie. Most kids now a days are much more disciplined if their parents did a good job. Those whose parents did do a good job raising them would be punks back then and right now, and in the future.

I finally got to HS in 1960 and kids back then, as now, liked to push the limits of parental authority just to see if they could get away with something. I don't remember seeing anything in "Grease" that related to my HS experience with the exception of cliques and some period clothing. Most Hollywood movies for that era tend to exaggerate things like playing chicken, drag racing, or the bad boy biker image. Most of us wore flat tops back then with madras shirts and chinos with our penny loafers. Of course, we weren't all angels; but, then again, we didn't need metal detectors or group counseling to feel safe at school back then either.

Sounds much like when I was in high school, Grove City, PA, class of 61.

About 30 years later, our neighbor's daughter was drug out of health class to the principal's office. The general students were much amused at it happening to an academic student. Somebody saw a baseball bat in her car. It was a clapped out old Mercury that the power seat had gone south. The bat was to keep the seat from sliding backwards.

I don't think they did anything to her, but her dad was a lawyer.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

The first time I watch the movie Grease, I almost feel sick after seeing what those 50s, 60s boys did back in the days if that's according to the movie.

Agreed. We were never allowed to sing and dance in such a suggestively synchronized manner when I was in school. And that flying away into the sky in a convertible hotrod would have gotten us detention as well. You oldsters had it made!

I miss tailgating on lunch breaks.

I graduated high school four years ago and remember the last two or three months toward the end of the year we would have a grill going in the parking lot to cook koobasa and there was invariably a couple of cases of beer on the go. Legal age is 18, and the teachers never bothered to come see what we were doing.

Then again, this is a hick town.

Quote:
Agreed. We were never allowed to sing and dance in such a suggestively synchronized manner when I was in school. And that flying away into the sky in a convertible hotrod would have gotten us detention as well. You oldsters had it made!

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

2005- Student called in for questioning about school photo.

Student was giving a thumbs up and asked if he was displaying a gang sign. This happened to me.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Student was giving a thumbs up and asked if he was displaying a gang sign. This happened to me.

I have heard of ignorant administrators and teachers, but that has to be ignorance squared.

Originally Posted By: jmac
Originally Posted By: panthermike

I have heard of ignorant administrators and teachers, but that has to be ignorance squared.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. After having to defend myself, I didn't recieve detention.

This isn't school related, but it shows the basic fearmongering tactics that are being used by our government against us.

I bought a car on eBay in early 2002, not long after 9/11, for $132.50 and it was located about 900 miles away. I figured, it's gotta be a piece of *censored*, so I'm going to bring my tools. Bought a bus ticket and got in line to get on the bus. Homeland Security was searching everyone's carryon and stored luggage. Of course I had my trusty $20 Wal-Mart Road Emergency tool kit. Wrenches, pliers, screwdriver bits, a bit driver, 3/8" ratchet set, rubber mallet, tire pressure gauge, coolant tester, small utility knife (with the little break off pieces), and a circuit tester (light bulb and a fuse in a stick with a very sharp end). By the time Homeland Security was done with my toolkit, I had a pair of pliers, the screwdriver bits (but no bit driver), the tire pressure gauge, and the empty plastic case. I was not offered the opportunity to go toss the tools in my other car. I was not permitted to leave the premises. I was not given the chance to leave my tools at the Dallas Greyhound in a locker to get them when I returned. All in all, my $20 tool kit cost me $40 because I had to buy another one when I got to Indiana.

No one mentioned anything about not being able to have hand tools in checked luggage when I bought the ticket. They just ASSUMED I was not carrying anything that could be used as an improvised weapon, provided I could access the bag under fifty other bags in a moving bus at highway speed with no interior access to the stowed luggage compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back