Lucas 5w20 synthetic oil anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any feedback on Lucas 5W20 synthetic? Surprisingly, there are no reviews on any Lucas synthetic oils here... And, no, I'm not talking about their additives.

welcome2.gif

Does not hardly ever even get mentioned here. I would think that it would be nothing special....but I admit I don't know for sure.

Until it is proven with some UOA runs it will be hard to quantify. I have seen it in the stores before. How much do they want a quart?

$12 Cdn for a quart... Yes, I know, we get reamed up here for everything.

And oh, thanks for the welcome!

Yes indeed
welcome2.gif
to BITOG. I don't know anything about their oils but I'm not to impressed with their other products.

Can you get Petro Canada products where your at? They make an excellent synthetic oil.

I just saw Lucas oil for the first time last week..

I'd have to see some UOAs before I even thought about it.

@ $12/Qt I wouldn't really bother! Mobil 1 EP is less than $9.5/qt ($45/4.4L) right now on sale at Part Source. Also regular Mobil 1 is $7.9/qt ($36.45/4.4l). If you're spending that much money you might as well get something that's darn good.

if i have to buy it, I will never ever pay more than CAN $5 or 6 bux a liter.....

cheap synthetic oils which are really good too
if you see any one of these on sale...just jump and buy it!
Valvoline SynPower
Penzoil Platinum
Petro Canada Supreme Synthetic

Wow that much $$$$$ Maybe I should start smuggling synthetic oil into Canada through the Blaine border crossing.

I would try something else. Sounds like they are mighty proud of their oil...............

Seeing as they are new to making synthetics I would use another brand that has been making synthetics for more than a year or so.

Last edited:
Maybe if the Lucas oil doesn't sell well in the stores, we'll see it on the discount shelves for 2 bucks/qt or
Im kinda waitin for the same from Castrol Edge! If it doesn't sell well, when it goes to the discount shelves, it'll dissapear like magic. Might have to wait 2 years for this but I'll be watchin.

My own personal opinion is that Lucas is 99% Market hype. I know sty is touted to truck drivers who have huge investments in their vehicles. Hey..if you can buy a product to dump into your oil and have your engine run 600,00 miles instead of 3000,000 miles wouldn't you buy it? Their advertising budget is huge.

I have yet to see empirical evidence showing its any good.

I think it is a good oil that will work well in any vehicle calling for 5W-20. I also think it is an extremely expensive oil that is most likely Group III-based which means I wouldn't ever buy it...

Originally Posted By: Al
My own personal opinion is that Lucas is 99% Market hype. I know sty is touted to truck drivers who have huge investments in their vehicles. Hey..if you can buy a product to dump into your oil and have your engine run 600,00 miles instead of 3000,000 miles wouldn't you buy it? Their advertising budget is huge.

I have yet to see empirical evidence showing its any good.

A heavy-duty diesel engine can do 1,000,000+ miles with proper maintenance, and commonly available HDEOs, before getting an overhaul. It's not unusual for most of the components to be within new parts specifications. This is without using any of the "wonder-products" that are hyped, like Lucas and other well known brands.

Personally, I give these things a pass. Even if they had a marginal effect, the costs to use them over such a distance would be exorbitant. Besides, if the used parts are already within spec and reusable, what would the benefit really be?

Cheers

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Personally, I give these things a pass. Even if they had a marginal effect, the costs to use them over such a distance would be exorbitant. Besides, if the used parts are already within spec and reusable, what would the benefit really be?

Cheers

People are buying a little extra protection for the worst case scenarios. What if you don't have time to do a proper maintenance or if there is a non-lubrication problem such as engine overheating? I have never filed a claim with my homeowner insurance for the past 30 years, yet I buy the maximum amount every year even when I don't have to (the house is paid for). I could save at least $1000 per year on my premium but I don't really like to chance it. A lot of people in New Orlean did take a chance with flood insurance and, well you know the rest.

Originally Posted By: Slant
$12 Cdn for a quart... Yes, I know, we get reamed up here for everything.

And oh, thanks for the welcome!

$12....
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw
I've used Lucas 5w-20 in an LS2 with heads and cam. Incredibly high boron numbers, excellent UOA's. I had no problems with this oil.

Is high Boron numbers a good thing?

Lucas claims that their 5w-20 meets VW 505 spec. I think it is the only 20WT oil that meets VW 505. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Maybe if the Lucas oil doesn't sell well in the stores, we'll see it on the discount shelves for 2 bucks/qt or
Im kinda waitin for the same from Castrol Edge! If it doesn't sell well, when it goes to the discount shelves, it'll dissapear like magic. Might have to wait 2 years for this but I'll be watchin.

Negative Ghostrider, don't have to wait that long. My local PepBoys already has the 5W20 on discount for $3 a quart. If I didn't already have over 200 qts of oil, I would have bought them out. No point in being greedy, though, now that all I have are two easy-on-oil Hondas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back