Need some really tacky grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
The driveshaft yoke on my truck eats through every grease I've thrown at it then starts to 'stick'. It was suggested to me to try Steelco's Red Crown 488-1 but it's only available at dealerships and honestly it makes me nauseous to step foot on dealership grounds.

I've seen the Lucas Red n Tacky but the finger test wasn't very impressive. I also ran across Militec-1 but it doesn't claim to be tacky, although its "metal conditioning" seems neat. Anybody got any other suggestions? I want to try a very sticky, tacky grease.

I just had an idea - I wonder if caliper grease would work...

Last edited:
Well the Schaeffer's #221 Moly Ultra has a Al complex base so don't know if you could use it in your case because of base and moly content. But that stuff is sticky as heck, makes an awfully stringy mess when scooping it out of a tube, seems to last forever in the u-joints.

I have used Caterpillar Desert Gold Grease for a few years now, and find it to be quite amazing as it just never seems to go away. With my Jeep Wrangler, I have gone 10,000 miles between greasing the tie rods and ball joints, yet with the first 1/3 pump of the grease gun the rubber boots are swelled up and still full of grease.

It probably isn't the best for u-joints as it has 5% molybdenum disulfide in a calcium-sulfonate complex synthetic base oil, but I use it anyway and have yet to have a u-joint issue.

I picked this grease because it is easy to find a Cat dealer, and when I have gone to purchase it, they have sold it to me by the tube rather than a box of 10 like some of the other greases.

The Pepboys around here have Castrol pyroplex blue. I've never used it in a machine but it is the hardest grease to get off my fingers that I have seen. It was only $5 a tube.

The "Green grease" at Autozone is also pretty tacky but I'd go with the Castrol.

I've used Loctite Moly Paste with good results on my Rodeo with the similar driveshaft slip yoke 'thunk'.

8504059028757760.jpg

Originally Posted By: Silver
The driveshaft yoke on my truck eats through every grease I've thrown at it then starts to 'stick'. It was suggested to me to try Steelco's Red Crown 488-1 but it's only available at dealerships and honestly it makes me nauseous to step foot on dealership grounds.

I've seen the Lucas Red n Tacky but the finger test wasn't very impressive. I also ran across Militec-1 but it doesn't claim to be tacky, although its "metal conditioning" seems neat. Anybody got any other suggestions? I want to try a very sticky, tacky grease.

I just had an idea - I wonder if caliper grease would work...

"Well the Schaeffer's #221 Moly Ultra has a Al complex base so don't know if you could use it in your case because of base and moly content. But that stuff is sticky as heck, makes an awfully stringy mess when scooping it out of a tube, seems to last forever in the u-joints."

Easily the best of the pack ! Stays where you put it and protects well. Resists washout etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back