How to read a date code on a Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a used engine last weekend. It has a Fram PH8A on it(not my 1st choice but thats another matter). There is a bar code on it with a bunch of numbers. The filter is one of the ones with the grippy stuff on the end.

Is there any way to get a date for when the filter was made? I'm just curious as to how long the engine has been sitting. GHranted that the filter could have been sitting on a shelf for a year or more.

When did they start putting the grippy stuff on them?

If an attempt to carbon date the find, age of filter is of little import, the exposure and condition of the rest of it should worry/concern you more. UPC bar code may not help, need manu coding. If not going to bother to tear down and clean, just change fluids and use as is?, I would use engine date and condition and expected use.

Quote:
redneck rebuild

Good one!!
crackmeup2.gif
Done a few of those my own self..
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: roushstage2
The filter could have been sitting for some time too when it was put on, just a thought.
ya I realize that. I just thought it would be interesting to know the build date of the filter. Whoever installed the filter onto the engine had enough sense to change the oil on a regular basis which kept the engine clean. Many people don't ever change the oil and filter on a rarely used truck.

Any idea when the filters with the grippy stuff came out?

The engine was a virgin. The truck was a 1973 and the bearings were marked 6-72.

Here's what I found when taking it apart. Not bad for 35 yrs old.

0323091035.jpg

Originally Posted By: RWEST
What is that? Looks like canted valves, like Ford Cleveland or 429-460, or BB Chevy, but has shaft mounted rockers.
54.gif

348-409 Chevy?
392 International.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
When did they start putting the grippy stuff on them?

link

Quote:
News of the Year: 1999
FRAM® officially patents its industry-renowned SureGRIP process, an unparalleled design for oil filters. Starting with the Extra Guard product line, this innovative and practical characteristic will be employed on a number of product lines that the brand brings to market.

You wont find any manufacture dates on fitlers or the boxes, ive looked many times, on many different name brands. The bar code will not have a date, its jsut s scan identification code for the cash register, or also the products label identification.
If anything, yuo might find on the oil fitler box, the copyright date..or yuo might be able to email in this case, fram, and give em as much info as yuo can..upc code, any numbers on the filter itself.

You can also use the parent company listed on the box or filter for the oldies: 1999-present=Honeywell, 1973-1999=AlliedSignal, 1967-1973=Bendix, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back