getrag six speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 dodge ram with this tranny. It is super noisy while cruising. I have read that this is not an uncommen thing with this transmission (getrag 238) but i was just wondering what fluid you might recommend in hopes of quietning it down ??

It has the recommended ATF +4 in it right now. Is there mabey an additive that would help?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ask one of the Amsoil guys about using Amsoil's MTG in it. That would probably quiet it down and provide better protection that ATF.

mtg_qt_350pxh.jpg

Start shopping for a modern manual trans lube.
Dump the ATF. Amsoil or Redline are superb. You don't have to get the thickest one they sell.
Everything should be better. Wear, noise, and shifting.

DO NOT use anything but +4 spec'd fluid. I have had a lot of problems in the past with manual transmissions especially Getrags on Jeeps when I put gear lube in it. If you had any other brand manual transmission, I would tell you to use a quality gear lube but Chrysler transmission picky. You dont have to use the stuff from the dealer but use a quality +4. I have the same trans in my Dakota and I am going to try the pennzoil +4 once it hits 30,000.

Run the AMsoil MTF, not the 75W-90

I have 3 getrags, one in my PT GT(called for ATF) and switched to the MTF , shifts great. Have run MTF and engine oil in my other Dodge SHelby's A555 getrags(ATF and 5w-30oil were factory fill depending on year)and the MTF is better.

Redline MT90 is 75W-90, Redline MTL is 75W-80. I like Redline MT90, myself. It's a GL-4 synthetic.

I use to own a 1991 3000GT VR4 with a Getrag 5 speed. I would change the transmission oil every other oil change using a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and Redline MT90. Everything was wonderful up until 90k miles. The tranny decided to give out and when I took it to my Mitsubishi mechanic he said there wasn't a single drop of oil left in the tranny. There wasn't any leak from the drain/fill bolt. We never found out why/where it was leaking from.

-ttvr4

Last edited:
I had a 3000GT w/the Getrag (awesome trannies!) as well,and it came OEM with a GL4 75W90. I bet the MTG would be the best choice,unless your Getrag specs an ATF,which then I`d use an Amsoil ATF. Imo,it`s Amsoil gear oils/tranny oils/fluids ONLY :^)

As you can see, prospective fluid choices vary wildy. What is spec'd for this tranny in the owner's manual?

Is it one of the Chrysler syncromesh fluids? If so, I'd run Pennzoil syncromesh ... or possible Amsoil MTF in there.

Being in Georgia, you might get away with running a 90 weight gear oil (Red Line MT-90, Amsoil MTG, etc ...) in there even if the manula spec's a lighter fluid. Still, you'll pay a penalty in MPGs ... maybe 1 or so ... without any known benefit.

I would not jump immediately to a 75W-90. (such as MTG) Vis ~14

I would however go with MTF (vis ~ 9-10). That should quiet it down, if not MTF and MTG may be blended. This is what I run in my Volvo. Sweet at all temps.

owners man. specs atf+4. I dont want to loose any mpg's (bad enough as it is), i just was hoping to quiet the gear noise down some. thanks.

If it specs an atf,I`d stick with that. If Amsoil makes an atf that`s compatable with your tranny,that`s what I`d use.

If it specs ATF, go with Redline ATF, the one that matches the spec. For my '95 F150 M4OD manual that would be REdline D4 ATF, but I just filled it with Redline MTL last night and it is shifting very nicey, even this am in 20F temp. The MTL is thicker like a 30 wt oil, vs the ATF being like a 20wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back