Scary and ugly monster seen at local business!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an engine out of a truck at the local Pic-A-Part today.

Here's the monster....Me!

0321091128.jpg

Heres what I brought home.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Rear engined pick-up. Kewl
grin2.gif

Is that engine another IH beast?
Yup! 392 cu in monster. Got a great deal on it. $189+ $45 core and it runs on all 8. The Scout places get $1200 for one.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: XS650
Rear engined pick-up. Kewl
grin2.gif

Is that engine another IH beast?
Yup! 392 cu in monster. Got a great deal on it. $189+ $45 core and it runs on all 8. The Scout places get $1200 for one.

It's got that many dollars worth of cast iron in it
grin2.gif

What does one of those weigh?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Engine only 1000lbs? Or the trans/engine?
Engine only. With manifolds and water pump. The 266,304,345 and 392 IHC engines are a medium duty truck engine. They came with a 100K warranty back in the 60's.

They have extreemly hard blocks. A lot of machinest's don't like to bore them because the block will eat several bits.

Steel cranks.

Sodium filled valves and hard press in valve seats.

Each engine was hand assembled by 2 employees and were balanced.

in the 1970s through 1990s I worked with two guys that owned 60s vintage IHC Travelalls. Those vehicles both gave you the feeling that they would still be running after cockroaches were extinct.
thumbsup2.gif

I would so much like a Travelall.

I've only ever seen 6 live, and all 6 of those were at the BP Glenrowan when I was travelling to my Grandmother's funeral.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Very cool. Whats your plan with this one?

Keep us informed
grin2.gif

This one looks to be a virgin. I'm going to check it out and put it in my pickup.

I'm impressed both by the crane, the neatness of that junkyard, and of course the rust-free bodies we'd die for here.

You should see our yards now that the spring thaw/mud season is starting. Vehicles sink so deep you can't get the doors open.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What truck are you going to put that in, your old Pete?
Naw I have an older IH pickup with a sick engine. The "new" engine is running in the bed of the pickup thats sick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm impressed both by the crane, the neatness of that junkyard, and of course the rust-free bodies we'd die for here.

Ya but you don't want to go here in the summer. Prolly die from heat exhaustion before you got your parts. It's not uncommon to find a rattle snake in a car and you gotta shoo him off before you can get your parts.

There is another yard nearby and it's built in a sandwash which makes moving heavy things impossible by your self.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back