Acer or Dell Netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter wants a mini laptop (netbook) for a graduation present. We were looking at the Acer 10" or the Dell 10 or 12".
It appears to me the Acer rates better. Any thoughts? Anyone have one?

I think it's a draw. Acer usually does offer better deals but I would imagine it would be easier to get support from Dell. I could be wrong though.

I thought Dell was better quality ?
21.gif

I have an Acer laptop and its great, except the battery life sucks.

The Acer I am looking at is a 6 cell. Supposed to last 6 hrs.

Walmart Online has a Acer 10", a carrying case and a external cd/dvd unit for $ 440.00

I have a Eee PC and like it. PCWorld's April issue has a nice write up and comparison of Netbooks. Asus Eee PC 1000H 80 G XP was on top for $449. Battery life was 4:32. I think they have models that can double that battery life. Lenovo Idea Pad S10 came in second. The Acer Aspire One came in third, but battery life was 2:16. Price was 349.00. I found it helpful to read reviews at NewEgg. They carry most brands except Dell.

Adam123 just got a Dell. You may want to ask him how he likes it:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1388832#Post1388832

Originally Posted By: ZZman
The Acer I am looking at is a 6 cell. Supposed to last 6 hrs.

Walmart Online has a Acer 10", a carrying case and a external cd/dvd unit for $ 440.00

That sounds like a pretty good deal. My brother-in-law pointed out that Wal-Mart online has some nice deals you do not see in the store.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
My daughter saw the red colored ones and fell in love.

I can relate. I know someone who loves red cars. It is not so important what is under the hood. SAM's had some regular color Acer Netbooks and a bunch of red HP one. I guess red sells...

Dell has great deals in their outlet. You can get a never shipped mini for a good discount. I think you can even get it under $200. With Ubuntu my mini9 has a 4 hour battery life. There are 8 cell batteries on Ebay too.

Dell for sure. I had an Acer and one day it just decided to start eating hard drives. I never downloaded anything on it. I would buy a new hard drive and install windows and it would work for about 15 minutes. Then it got sluggish and I would restart and it wouldn't load anything. It just sat there. After about 3 hard drives I literally threw it in the trash. I love my Dell. The battery life is ok, I ran continuously use it for 3-4 hours unplugged. It DOES play games very very well. It is an XPS 1530.

I've had two Acer notebooks now. Big 17" monsters though. Love them. Only bad thing was the LCD went kaput on the first one after about 1.5yrs. They've been rock solid for us, no blue screens or hardware/software conflicts, etc. My personal take on notebooks is; Don't pay big bucks. If the screen dies it pretty much has to get tossed. I tend to buy those that have been on the market a year and cap it at ~$500-600.

Joel

Get the Dell with the "Complete Care" warranty, if they still offer it. You never know what might happen to a laptop.... Of course if it's a mini that's real cheap; maybe you don't need it...

From my experiences Dell notebooks are much easier to maintain especially when it comes to device driver and BIOS updates. The Dells often offer stronger video cards too. The video card thing isn't a big deal to some, but it is vital for the type of work I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back