The WAR: Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 VS GC 0W30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends, I heard apparently this is the best oil Mobil had made till date. It can be purchased in Canada directly through some distributors. Other competing oils would be Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 and Castrol Edge 5W-30 (The one which is sold in UK ONLY), both of these oils are not yet available in Canada. Which leaves ONLY GC to stand face to face against Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 to compete.

TDS for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxenpvlmomobil_1_esp_formula_5w-30.pdf

Website
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp

The Specs Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Meets
C2/C3, A3/B3/B4 ACEA
A5/B5 ACEA
SL / SM API
CF API
Longlife 04 BMW
MB-Approval 229.31/229.51
504.00 / 507.00 Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel)
C30 Porsche
E06-N3 / D06-N3 Peugeot Citroen Automobiles
Also recommended for use in applications requiring
502 00 / 503 00 / 503 01 Volkswagen (Gasoline)
505 01/ 505 00 / 506 00 / 506 01 Volkswagen^ (Diesel)

Does anyone have tried this oil, please share you experience and BITOG members please post VOA and UOA for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.

As a friend of mine challenged me that BITOG members will kiss GC good bye once they learn about this oil, so I thought I better find this out my self.

GC is a heck of a lot easier to get in Canada - go to any WM, CT, or PartsSource, and buy it off the shelf.

Never ever seen the ESP...if you can't really buy it, how can you reliably use it?

Well.... let's see......

If I want this new wunderoil from XOM, I have to travel to Canada, order it from a distributor and pay whatever silly price it cost to get an oil that MAY be a little better than GC.

Or..... I can WALK about 3 blocks to AutoZone, buy as much GC as I can carry, find it on sale regularly and know it's one of the best motor oils ever sold at retail.

What is this war about exactly? You are demanding UOA's and VOA's for some unobtainium Mobil product to pit it against a known standard. What's the point?

Please post details of your personal payment for requested oil analyses. I look forward to all the hard work and great expense you and your friend are going to put into this project on behalf of BITOGer's everywhere. Thanks!

The only place I know of where you can get the ESP oil now in the US are at either a Mercedes dealer or from a Mobil distributor, if they even stock it.

My sister lives in the DFW area and her Mercedes uses the ESP product for all of their Mercedes services.

Last edited:
I am happy with my GC!!

I called the local distributor (NOCO.ca or NOCO.com) to find out the price, it is CAN $60.00 for a case of 1L x 6 before taxes. I am sure it must be cheaper in States because the service clerk said this is not something they stock it, they order it from US whenever someone likes to buy.

Bretfraz, I am sorry If I have caused you pain or offended you, that was not my intention. I just like to know about what other BITOG members have to say about this, I do care to know what BITOG members experience has been if at all!

I am sure lot of members would be interested to learn about this oil as it meets so many of the highly rated specs!

I don't really see this as much of a comparison at all. The Castrol is a fully formulated, high SAPS oil while the Mobil ESP (exhaust system protection) oils are all of low SAPS formulations. Mobil actually has a nice little banquet of low SAPS ESP oils to include:

Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30
Mobil-1 formula M EPS 5W-30
Mobil-1 formula M ESP 5W-40

These products are formulated specifically for VW's 504/507 requirements and Mercedes-Benz's 229.51 requirement applicable to their diesel engines that use particulate filters and regenerative exhaust systems.

To compare the two oils with the Mobil costing nearly 33% more per liter, wouldn't be a appropriate comparison.

If you need a low SAPS ESP oil then the Castrol won't work. If you don't need a low SAPS oil then the Mobil would be a waste of money. Not much to compare that I see.

Yup. It's not a matter of one being better than the other. Different oils for different applications.

But if ESP was as easily available as GC and cost about the same, I wouldn't mind using it.

Last edited:
Yes it is true Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is not widely available, and to buy it from Dealerships is most likely cost prohibitive. I am not sure how much does GC cost in US. Here in Canada GC's regular retail price is CAN $8-$10 per liter. This oil from distributor is costing about CAN $10.

I am sure Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 will work out to be a lot cheaper in USA because it is made there only, and usually due to overall net lower taxes in USA, things almost all the time cost less than Canada. I am sure folks in States can get this oil for a lot cheaper than folks up here.

Fair enough GC and Mobil 1 ESP is not fair comparison because one is Low SAPS oil and other is not. It would have made more sense if both were low SAPS oil.

Moving on, it will be interesting to find out if this Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 also has the same bad habit of causing high Fe wear.

Mobil 1 has a bad stigma for showing high IRON wear in many of UOA's posted by BITOG members.

Regardless this oil is widely applicable or not, but folks tell me is there an oil out there which meet this many SPECS?

Hi,
Ibrahim - You said this;
"Moving on, it will be interesting to find out if this Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 also has the same bad habit of causing high Fe wear.

Mobil 1 has a bad stigma for showing high IRON wear in many of UOA's posted by BITOG members."

M1 has NOT been shown to elevate wear of "Iron" engine components!

The World is not littered with iron from MB, Porsche and other engines that have M1 as FF. The Warranty claims history proves this point!

The Fe results shown in single pass UOAs is NOT related to engine wear. Please read the previous Thread on this very subject

I was an initial user of the original GC 0W-30 in 1996 (development) and have extensively used many M1 variants (developemnt) - myths abound!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
I am not sure how much does GC cost in US. Here in Canada GC's regular retail price is CAN $8-$10 per liter.

It can be as low as $5 if you find it on sale, which is quite often.

Quote:
I am sure Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 will work out to be a lot cheaper in USA because it is made there

Are you sure about that? AFAIK, the ESP 5w-30 is made in Europe.

Quote:
I am sure folks in States can get this oil for a lot cheaper than folks up here.
The cheapest I've seen it on-line is about $8.50 liter, but you have to buy it in cases of 12, plus add shipping cost.

Doug, I am not anti M1 or pro M1. You do not have to take my words, just browse by the many UOA's which have been posted for M1 oils. You will find comments made by many many BITOG members regarding high wear. I continue to remain as open minded as possible...

I wish I would have said this differently;

"Moving on, it will be interesting to find out if this Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 also has the same bad habit of causing high Fe wear."

As I still do not have a conclusive opinion on whether or not M1 causes more or less wear than industry average.

Back to original point, I have done exhaustive search to find any oil which meets as many specs as the Mobil ESP 5W-30 does....It doesn't mean it is the best, just makes me wonder aren't low SAPS oils being mandated in North America by European Auto Dealers.

Buickmaster, thanks...I am aware of that, I do not think it is worth buying from a dealer since what you pay and what you get in return will be far less. Much better to buy it from a local distributor. Again there always exceptions to the rule.

Just a quick point....the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 sold only at MB dealers is labeled as Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w-40 and does not carry any builders approvals except MB.

M1 ESP 5w-30 is also available at AvLube.com...Many of the Dodge/Chrysler dealers seem to be trying to offload this oil (as it was only specified for the Diesel Sprinter...my guess is demand is off like all the other vehicles)..I have called several dealers in my area and they are ready to deal on price if I will buy all of their inventory.

yeah i went through this choice last week, since i was coming off my auto-rx, in my nissan.

i decided to just go with the gc and a rp filter. don't think i went wrong.

Originally Posted By: 1quartlow
Just a quick point....the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 sold only at MB dealers is labeled as Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w-40 and does not carry any builders approvals except MB.

Hi,
1quartlow - Sometimes this is the nomenclature used with FF lubricants that are provided to Dealers for top up and service fills. Quite common with German engine makers

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 is a very heavy duty oil!....

DougHillary have you used this product M1 ESP 5W-30 or intend to in future?

If it could perform and last longer than GC and Edge or at least is at par with Amsoil in terms of if its providing protection for as long period of time as Amosil does.

Then I beleive its money well spend..because CAN$10.00/L is not bad than CAN$13.00/Quart (Amsoil 0W-30)

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Buickmaster, thanks...I am aware of that, I do not think it is worth buying from a dealer since what you pay and what you get in return will be far less. Much better to buy it from a local distributor. Again there always exceptions to the rule.
I paid $8.64 a liter for Mobil-1 5W-30 ESP at a local Chrysler dealer.

I won't compare it to GC, as GC doesn't meet VW's 504.00 specification. I know everyone will come out of the woodwork raving about GC and its meeting the 502.00 spec, but it's a standard that has been left behind by Volkswagen, other than in the NA market.

Ask yourself why it's the North American market that is the thorn in VW's side when it comes to lubrication related issues. It's guys who insist on saving a buck by using cheaper oils, or who refuse to leave behind old standard bearers. Places that use 504.00 oils aren't suffering the woes that those who insist on using 502.00 oils are.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back