After all this time here, 5W-30 or 10W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know, after all the time I've been on the board, this is the last question I should be asking. But I'm asking anyway.

I drive an '02 Chevy Cavalier w/a 2.2L, OHV engine. I've been running 5W-30 or 10W-30 dino oil in it for as long as I've had it. Doesn't consume a lot of oil, 1/2 to 3/4 liter during an OCI. Runs fairly smooth, but has bad piston slap, as many of these engines do.

I'm coming up on an oil change in a couple of weeks, and Canadian Tire has a sale on jugs of their 'Formula 1' (Shell) oil, in all grades - 5W-20 to 20W-50. I know I should just run the 5W-30 the car calls for, as it runs well on that.

But I really want to try the 10W-40 grade, to see how the car runs on it - will it be smoother, and will it reduce piston slap? Yes, it crazy, but I'm really torn by this - I know 10W-40 won't hurt the engine at all, but it is running just fine on 5W-30, so I should just stick with that, right?

But I don't want to!

One of the main arguments against a thicker oil is reduced fuel mileage, but I'm not concerned about that - I do enough city stop and go, and 'loaded down' driving that I don't get the best mileage anyway.

Alright, have at 'er, tell me how nuts I am to post this!

:p

if it dont get much for fuel economy, try the 10-40, you probably wont know much of a diff. you could even get away with something like rotella 10-30 or 15-40. these oils will provide a little more cushion as well. oh and for the cold you could use 5-40 sythetic rotella, just some ideas

Last edited:
You won't be happy until you try it, so I say go ahead and do it. It sure won't hurt anything and if you don't like it you can change it out on your next change.

Who knows, you may have the smoothest running Cavalier in Canada.

Give the 10w-40 a try when the weather warms up, but I'd personally avoid it in the December-March period, as it would likely do more harm than good in the winter.

Originally Posted By: ArcticCat
Give the 10w-40 a try when the weather warms up, but I'd personally avoid it in the December-March period, as it would likely do more harm than good in the winter.

Dito.

Ive been running 5W30's in my wife 97 Jetta for alittle while. Ive always had a slight valve ticking noise, so this time im givng Valvoline 10W40 a try. Ive heard VW's dig thicker oils. If it all works out im switching to Maxlife 10W40.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Yeah, I know, after all the time I've been on the board, this is the last question I should be asking. But I'm asking anyway.

I drive an '02 Chevy Cavalier w/a 2.2L, OHV engine. I've been running 5W-30 or 10W-30 dino oil in it for as long as I've had it. Doesn't consume a lot of oil, 1/2 to 3/4 liter during an OCI. Runs fairly smooth, but has bad piston slap, as many of these engines do.

I'm coming up on an oil change in a couple of weeks, and Canadian Tire has a sale on jugs of their 'Formula 1' (Shell) oil, in all grades - 5W-20 to 20W-50. I know I should just run the 5W-30 the car calls for, as it runs well on that.

But I really want to try the 10W-40 grade, to see how the car runs on it - will it be smoother, and will it reduce piston slap? Yes, it crazy, but I'm really torn by this - I know 10W-40 won't hurt the engine at all, but it is running just fine on 5W-30, so I should just stick with that, right?

But I don't want to!

One of the main arguments against a thicker oil is reduced fuel mileage, but I'm not concerned about that - I do enough city stop and go, and 'loaded down' driving that I don't get the best mileage anyway.

Alright, have at 'er, tell me how nuts I am to post this!

:p

Too cold for 10w40 IMO right now... I would stick with what you're using until at least the end of March. I also don't think that the 10w40 is going to fix your Piston Slap... The only fix for this is a new engine!
wink.gif

I bought my wife a new 1999 Cavalier(2.2L engine) for Christmas in December, 1998. She drove it home from the dealer and before the engine cooled down, I drained the whatever factory oil and replaced it with Mobil 1 15W-50. I replaced the factory filter with a WIX. It now has 208,000+ miles, is used every day, has never used a drop of oil, does not leak or seep, quiet, smooth running engine, always better than EPA mileage estimates.

No trouble starting in Dayton, Ohio, or Grand Blanc, Michigan in December and January family visits.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I bought my wife a new 1999 Cavalier(2.2L engine) for Christmas in December, 1998. She drove it home from the dealer and before the engine cooled down, I drained the whatever factory oil and replaced it with Mobil 1 15W-50. I replaced the factory filter with a WIX. It now has 208,000+ miles, is used every day, has never used a drop of oil, does not leak or seep, quiet, smooth running engine, always better than EPA mileage estimates.

No trouble starting in Dayton, Ohio, or Grand Blanc, Michigan in December and January family visits.

What's your oci Frank?

No need to go from 5w30 all the way to a 10w40, try the in between 10w30 first and see if what you want. If not try then a HM 10w30, another step closer to the 10w40, and if still not satisfied go with the 10w40. If you just want to experiment, well here is a few more to do.

Quote:
What's your oci Frank?

3000 miles planned, 3500 acceptable if completing a trip.

wow, that's a short oci for m1. No wonder those cars of yours last forever
wink.gif

I've contemplated 5w40 for my subaru, since the owners manual lists it, along with a couple thicker grades. Just don't know if I can get myself to make the jump... especially with a stash of PP 5w30 to go through first. Maybe after the stash is gone I'll jump up. The car should have 60k miles on it by then.

Quote:
What's your oci Frank?

LOL.gif
You've performed almost 70 oil and filter changes already on the car. Crazy.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Quote:
What's your oci Frank?

LOL.gif
You've performed almost 70 oil and filter changes already on the car. Crazy.

Actually 72, BUT, I haven't made any car payments in the last 7 years.

7 years car payments of 208.00 per month=$17,472.00
72 OCI with filters averaged over 10 years=$1,728.00. I win.

O course, it is on its 8th transmission fluid and filter, 5th set of platinum plugs, 3rd set of plug wires, without looking up tax records it is 18 air filters, 4 fuel filters, brakes bleed and stuff.

I maintain my vehicles, hand tie my own flys and do a lot of fly fishing, hunted from 1954 to 2005 then just lost interest, semi primitive camping, ham radio, and about 20 hours a week volunteer Church work. I have 4 grandchildren that come from the big city to spend the summer with Poppa and Granny. We have one field that is about 118 acres flat. Those boys can give that old truck a good workout in the soybean roads and up the hills on the strip mine roads and gas line roads. The old 300,000 mile Toyota loves every minute of it.

I went from 5W-30 supertech to 10W-40 maxlife in my kids 96 Dodge Stratus 2.5, cut oil consumption by half and quieted the engine.....not that it matters in this classic......It started at -23 in Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back