Suggestion for oil and filter for 2008 Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
New to the forum and currently use Castrol Syntec German 0W30 for my two old-school LT-1/LT-4 motors (Roadmaster and Impala SS, 1996 and 1995). Just got a new 08 Suburban with the 5.3L (non-Flex fuel), and it is coming up on its first oil change. I'm just wondering what type this forum would feel strongest about. The two top I had thought about were, obviously, the Castrol Syntec 0W30 or Mobil 1 5W30 (or 5W40, or 0W40). Anyone have a preference?

Thanks for the help.

btw - plan to use the UPF48R filter instead of the 'standard' PF48. Has better filtering media.

for my other cars, most of the forum guys really don't like the 5w30 M1, bec. its viscosity is too low, but sounds like for the Suburban, it is better? Is the Castrol Syntec 0W30 not appropriate for that vehicle?

Originally Posted By: alchemist
Hi,
New to the forum and currently use Castrol Syntec German 0W30 for my two old-school LT-1/LT-4 motors (Roadmaster and Impala SS, 1996 and 1995). Just got a new 08 Suburban with the 5.3L (non-Flex fuel), and it is coming up on its first oil change. I'm just wondering what type this forum would feel strongest about. The two top I had thought about were, obviously, the Castrol Syntec 0W30 or Mobil 1 5W30 (or 5W40, or 0W40). Anyone have a preference?

Thanks for the help.

btw - plan to use the UPF48R filter instead of the 'standard' PF48. Has better filtering media.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 would probably be a good option as well. I would stay with the 5w30 since that is what is recommended. With you being in NC, I don't think you'll ever be cold enough to need a 0w30 unless you move further north.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 would probably be a good option as well. I would stay with the 5w30 since that is what is recommended. With you being in NC, I don't think you'll ever be cold enough to need a 0w30 unless you move further north.

Rest assured I will never live any further north than NC. Abe Lincoln did this country in with his big government, suspension of habeas corpus, ignoring Constitutional laws, and so on. Interesting that the man that was called the Great Emancipator went on record as saying he cared not about slavery but about saving the Union. His quote: If I could save the Union by freeing no slaves, I would do it. If I could save the Union by freeing every slave, I would do it." In fact, the Emancipation ONLY applied to 'hostile' areas and not to Union controlled areas. go figure...

I've used PP and Synpower 5-30 in the wife's 5.3 Tahoe--has worked well over the last few years- either 5K changes or OLM = 15% whichever comes first

Steve

Definitely stick with the GC, your engine will love you for it. It's more than adequate for the Vortec modular V8's. Low temp pump. will not be an issue where you're located. Honestly, with GC it's rarely an issue anywhere. I go 6000-7000 OCI's on mine, right at where the OLM displays under 10%.

If you want to try something different for the heck of it, PP works great, too. I've used PP 10-30 in my 5.3L with excellent performance.

All the Mobil products I've tried made the CSK issue very noticeable. They might be a good product but for the price, there are others that work better for me and will work fine for you, too.

German Castrol, Amsoil, Schaeffers or Pennzoil Platinum.... take your pick. If the regular/stock AC Delco filter has a silicone ADBV, there's no reason to upgrade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyquist

Rest assured I will never live any further north than NC. Abe Lincoln did this country in with his big government, suspension of habeas corpus, ignoring Constitutional laws, and so on. Interesting that the man that was called the Great Emancipator went on record as saying he cared not about slavery but about saving the Union. His quote: If I could save the Union by freeing no slaves, I would do it. If I could save the Union by freeing every slave, I would do it." In fact, the Emancipation ONLY applied to 'hostile' areas and not to Union controlled areas. go figure...

Huh?

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I have a 2006 Impala SS with the same motor. Have used Amsoil XL 5W30 and an Amsoil EAO32 filter since new. Now has 23,000mi and has never burned a drop or made any valvetrain/lifter noise or had any piston slap, which is sometimes a problem with newer GM V-8's. Friend of mine has an 07' Suburban and uses PP 5W30 and a pureone filter with no issues. I change the oil at about 20% on the OLM. Holds exactly 6 qts w/filter

Wow I can't believe no one wants to discuss President Lincoln's political agenda and it's influence on the choice of lubricants in a modern internal combustion engine.This is an area that has been ignored for too long.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Wow I can't believe no one wants to discuss President Lincoln's political agenda and it's influence on the choice of lubricants in a modern internal combustion engine.This is an area that has been ignored for too long.

Yea, and that fact that Abe Lincoln is directly responsible for our current economic crisis as well as unrest in Gaza...

I have 3700 miles on my LY5 08 5.3L. I switched to
Mobil 1 5W-30 T@SUV at 1,000 miles. I have no CSK or the like and the engine runs very smooth. I plan on changing once per year or 6K miles or 10% on the OLM.

I also ran the M1 5W-30 T@SUV in my 02 Camaro SS with the 5.7L LS1. Same results.

I'd stick with the Mobil 1 5W-30 or any other 5W-30 SM oil until you're out of warranty. The LS motors like the LTs really prefer a thick 30W (GC) or even some lighter 40Ws. Out of warranty, I think M1 0W-40 or GC would be a toss-up. Rotella Syn 5W-40 has also shown some really good UOAs on the LSx engines too. Run a good syn for the full length of the OLM and you'll be good to go.

UltraGuards are really solid filters. Kind of pricey depending on where you get them though. I might suggest a Wix offering through our sponser Fleet Filter. You can get them for less that $5 each as I recall. Good luck.

after reading the GM engineer talk about synthetic vs regular oil, i would use supertech and call it a day....maybe m1 once in awhile to make sure engine is sludge free

I will probably change at the 3000 mile mark, for the first time, and then go by either the OCM or 7500 miles, whichever comes first.

I'm still wondering about using GC 0W30 for the new truck. I love that oil for the LT/LS engines, but just want to be sure the warranty police won't have a problem with it.

thx.

I did an oil change on my 08 Suburban and used a Napa Gold filter 1042, it wouldnt catch a thread. We had a 05 Yukon which uses the same filter as my 03 3/4 Silverado. The 08 calls for a pf 48 and the 05 uses a 47. Went and got a delco and it went right on. Was this a fluke or is there a difference. Oh by the way Pennzoil yb till the 3rd change then pp 5w30 for the rest of its life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back