2006 Honda CRV headgasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to find out if head gasket problems are common on 2.4 CRV engines. The car has 40,000 miles. I have never heard of Hondas having this problem with such low milage. We have had problems with rearend noise at 9,000 miles and again at 30,000. The dual pump fluid was replaced and we were told by the dealer this was known problem. Now it has blown head gasket. I am very disapointed in the quality of this vehicle. Has anyone else had bad experinces with Hondas.

Are they covering the HG under warranty?

I know the rearend noise problem is well known, I wonder if anyone has had better luck with a synthetic fluid?

Are you sure that your head gasket is indeed blown? Have you opt for second opinion from a different shop/mechanic?

yes, the rearend noise is a common issue but headgasket on a 2006 sounds rare.

Q.

Common rearend noise?

You mean Honda sells vehicles with known problems to the public?

Originally Posted By: greymach
Im trying to find out if head gasket problems are common on 2.4 CRV engines. The car has 40,000 miles. I have never heard of Hondas having this problem with such low milage. We have had problems with rearend noise at 9,000 miles and again at 30,000. The dual pump fluid was replaced and we were told by the dealer this was known problem. Now it has blown head gasket. I am very disapointed in the quality of this vehicle. Has anyone else had bad experinces with Hondas.

Honda and Toyota are perfect, everyone knows that. Must be your imagination. Don't succumb to the temptation to buy an inferior American car that will only last a quarter million miles or so...
grin2.gif

We did a presure check saturday and it has all the symptoms of a blown headgasket so I am 99 percent sure thats what it is. I will have it towed in to the dealer monday. I hope they will warranty the vehicle. As far as straying away from Hondas dual pump fluid Im not going to chance that. I agree about the head gasket being rare. I am starting to feel like I cant trust this vehicle at all. We usually keep our cars a long time and have never had this much trouble with a car with such low milage. I am almost thinking of unloading this thing before it is out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Honda and Toyota are perfect, everyone knows that. Must be your imagination. Don't succumb to the temptation to buy an inferior American car that will only last a quarter million miles or so...
grin2.gif

Honda and toyota are learning to lower their standards like the domestics LOL!!

stuff happens to any make. Just less with a toyota or honda :) I know alot of shops database will prove this too. I know my database clearly shows a reliability trend.

Well as far American cars the vehicle before this one was a 2000 Explorer with 189,000 miles. Besides fluid changes, 3 brake jobs, 3 sets of tires and one altenator she was flawless. As far foriegn cars we also owned a 83 Honda Accord same as the Explorer never had any big problems. My point is I have never owned a car that has been back to the dealer as much as this one. I cant remember the last time I had make a warranty claim on any of our vehicles if any in the last 20 years.

Last fall, I did a 1/2 @$$ed valve job on a 99 CRV. I replaced the exhaust valves in #4 cylinder, lapped them in and put the head back on. Nice engine, but a PITA job to do in the CRV engine bay. Seems in the 99, Honda cheaped out on the valves . Instead of the usual interval of 100k miles on a valve adjustment, these engines need the interval shortened to 30k.

There really isnt a problem with your rear end,they just get noisy if the fluid isnt changed regularly. I do mine yearly, it only takes a quart.
I bought my 03 used with 30,000 on the clock. Its been losing a couple of oz of coolant a month , getting in the oil as proven by a uoa. Runs great and not enough coolant mixing to cause trouble yet.
I looked under the hood of an 03 last week at the dealer and the overflow bottle was empty.Maybe there is a problem with this motor just like the first generation CRV had trouble with the heads.

Not sure about CRV's specifically, but the Acura TSX has the 2.4L engine which has so far been pretty much bulletproof. The only thing that seems to go wrong with them is the occasional A/F sensor.

Pretty much any Honda engine (other than early 90's SOHC Civic engines) has never really had problems with blown head gaskets UNLESS the car was overheated. When the aluminum head gets too hot it'll blow the headgasket, but that could be said for a lot of aluminum engines.

How did it come up that the headgasket may be blown? Was the engine burning coolant? Was the coolant level run low?

BTW what is the length of the Honda powertrain warranty? (The Acura warranty is different, not positive on Honda)

I changed to the new DPF II fluid in our 1998 that had 110k and it quieted the rear. It had 145k now and the engine is fine too. 24mpg winter in a 4wd is no joke.

Acuratech we did a presure test on the cooling system plus the white clouds of smoke coming out of the exhaust. The over flow tank is also going down when ever driven. I spent 2 hours looking for leaks and cant find any. The warranty paper work says 5years 60,000 on the powertrain. Seems to me like a headgasket. My wife says the temp gauge is staying where it always has been in the center. The rear fluid shouldnt need changed every 10,000 to 20,000 miles. Thats a poorly designed unit if thats the case.

Originally Posted By: alanu
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

grin2.gif

Honda and toyota are learning to lower their standards like the domestics LOL!!

stuff happens to any make. Just less with a toyota or honda :) I know alot of shops database will prove this too. I know my database clearly shows a reliability trend.

This is what'd happen when you hire Gringos for CEOs.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Not sure about CRV's specifically, but the Acura TSX has the 2.4L engine which has so far been pretty much bulletproof. The only thing that seems to go wrong with them is the occasional A/F sensor.

Pretty much any Honda engine (other than early 90's SOHC Civic engines) has never really had problems with blown head gaskets UNLESS the car was overheated. When the aluminum head gets too hot it'll blow the headgasket, but that could be said for a lot of aluminum engines.

How did it come up that the headgasket may be blown? Was the engine burning coolant? Was the coolant level run low?

BTW what is the length of the Honda powertrain warranty? (The Acura warranty is different, not positive on Honda)

SOHC Accords from 1990s could also encounter head gasket issues. I have dealt with many.

My '03 CRV is still running like new with 96,000 miles.

All I've done is two brake jobs (nearing a 3rd), coolant, transmission, and power steering fluids (all using the Honda fluids), and of course change the oil on schedule (Redline 5w20). I also use the Honda engine air filters, as they seem far better constructed than any aftermarket I've seen except Wix, which seems not to have the most impressive filter element.

The only surprise was that the switch to turn on the AC fan broke last summer, and it was cheap and easy to fix.

Sounds like you got a lemon, but I really don't think it's a trend with Hondas, or with CRVs.

Originally Posted By: Alcibiades
My '03 CRV is still running like new with 96,000 miles.

All I've done is two brake jobs (nearing a 3rd), coolant, transmission, and power steering fluids (all using the Honda fluids), and of course change the oil on schedule (Redline 5w20). I also use the Honda engine air filters, as they seem far better constructed than any aftermarket I've seen except Wix, which seems not to have the most impressive filter element.

The only surprise was that the switch to turn on the AC fan broke last summer, and it was cheap and easy to fix.

Sounds like you got a lemon, but I really don't think it's a trend with Hondas, or with CRVs.

My mom's 1999 CRV went through 3 A/C compressors in 3 years, and I have seen many other 1997-2001 CRVs with frequent A/C problems.

If only her A/C problems were as simple as replacing a switch....

She crashed and flipped the car when it was 4 years old, I never got a chance to see what else would have held up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back