Toyota T-IV for power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car's manual says to use Dexron 3 for the power steering fluid. However I have some Toyota T-IV ATF fluid lying around.

Can I use this to replace the power steering fluid by incrementally removing the fluid from the reservoir and replacing it with fresh T-IV? Cause it's my understanding that the power steering isn't too sensitive to what fluid goes in as long as it lubricates and holds up to pressure.

Originally Posted By: takax2040
My car's manual says to use Dexron 3 for the power steering fluid. However I have some Toyota T-IV ATF fluid lying around.

Can I use this to replace the power steering fluid by incrementally removing the fluid from the reservoir and replacing it with fresh T-IV? Cause it's my understanding that the power steering isn't too sensitive to what fluid goes in as long as it lubricates and holds up to pressure.

The Toyota and Lexus dealers here do it all the time with no adverse effects.

Should be fine for PS. It is not very sensitive to friction modifier level, and viscosity in a close hydraulic system isn't all that precise when it has no temperature regulation unit (must work from -20C to 50C under the hood). If Dexron3 will work, T-IV should have no problem.

It's rather expensive to use with no benefit over using the cheaper fluid.

Toyota and Lexus dealers use it for convenience, so they don't have to stock too many different fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back