Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil and especially weight Nascar really use probably differs from team to team and is a secret. They also run a dry sump and have a 3 to 4+ gallon tank behind the driver. What they do and what the average street car does is miles apart.

And all the teams get special formulated oil from the oil companies for testing all the time.

Last edited:
Also there is deception on Castrol's part. I try to stay away from critizing company's products as they are all very good, how ever Castrol is comparing Edge to M15-30. A more equal comparison would be to M1 5-30EP. This kind of advertising shows little regard for the truth. So far XM doesn't do that. Again other oil producers follow XMs lead in R&D.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
What oil and especially weight Nascar really use probably differs from team to team and is a secret. They also run a dry sump and have a 3 to 4+ gallon tank behind the driver. What they do and what the average street car does is miles apart.

And all the teams get special formulated oil from the oil companies for testing all the time.

Except the LaMans teams at Daytona used M1 5-30 out of the bottle. Why? Because it works.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
500 miles oci.

At full throtle, 200 MPH and their hair on fire!

How many trips around the corner, or cold starts in 3 degrees, or city miles, or hauling a boat, or 10,000 mile oci???

Racing and normal driving can not be compared. You seem to think racing is hard on oil. The oil is at operating temp the whole time. There is no fuel or water dilution.

Plus race engines get rebuilt almost every season.

Racing and daily driving are completely different stresses on oils. If you spend your OCI at maximum output and never have cold starts then M1 5w30 is probably good and is excellent for high temperature oxidation resistance. But if like most people you have to start your engine cold, drive somewhere, shut it off and start it cold again over and over. then maybe it is not the best choice.

Much is being noted about how ... "If they are using the product right off the shelf.... If Honda uses ... etc etc"

I would say that all present users of M1 including auto makers ASSUME that the oil is what it is SUPPOSED TO BE.

I contend that the present batch is NOT what it is SUPPOSED TO BE.

Will your engine suffer because of this, I believe not really.

Will you have LESS WEAR with another product at present, I belive yes.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Plus Castrols website does compare Edge to Mobil 1EP

There testing was against M1 5-30. They mention 5-30EP, but they do not test against it.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
Much is being noted about how ... "If they are using the product right off the shelf.... If Honda uses ... etc etc"

I would say that all present users of M1 including auto makers ASSUME that the oil is what it is SUPPOSED TO BE.

Do you really think Porsche, Merecedes,GM,Viper,Auston Martin, and all the rest assume anything that they require for their vehicles? They take R&D seriousley. They don't assume anything.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Racing and daily driving are completely different stresses on oils. If you spend your OCI at maximum output and never have cold starts then M1 5w30 is probably good and is excellent for high temperature oxidation resistance. But if like most people you have to start your engine cold, drive somewhere, shut it off and start it cold again over and over. then maybe it is not the best choice.

I've never said M1 is the best oil there is. I tried Amsoil back in the 70s, but stopped using it when M1 came out. At that time Ams left a coating on valve springs and rocker arms that I didn't like in the cold winters of Maine. M1 didn't, so I have been with M1 ever since. With that said Ams, Val, Castrol, and all the rest are fine products. For 31 years my only experience has been with M1. As far as UOA are concerned Iv'e had 2 done with low wear numbers, both on overhead cam Ford engines. Iron was fine.

Has Castrol done the same test on their Syntec 5-30? The answer is obvious. These kind of adds are more kin to stunts than truth vetting.IMO. Will M1 degrade Castrol in the future over some oil advantage? I hope not.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Do you really think Porsche, Merecedes,GM,Viper,Auston Martin, and all the rest assume anything that they require for their vehicles? They take R&D seriousley. They don't assume anything.

tigi,

This is exactly what I referring to .... all the auto makers you mention above do testing, have R&D, etc etc. They decide, YES, this product passes/meets our standards based upon our testing/r&d etc etc.

At this point, again, they ASSUME the product to be what they experienced during their evaluation. They can't test every bottle, they have to ASSUME the formulation is what it is supposed to be .... there begins the problem.

Originally Posted By: tig1

tigi,

This is exactly what I referring to .... all the auto makers you mention above do testing, have R&D, etc etc. They decide, YES, this product passes/meets our standards based upon our testing/r&d etc etc.

At this point, again, they ASSUME the product to be what they experienced during their evaluation. They can't test every bottle, they have to ASSUME the formulation is what it is supposed to be .... there begins the problem.

Unless there isn't a problem. Perhaps the Seq-IVA test results have no bearing on the testing performed by Porsche, MB, GM and Honda?

Again I haven't seen high iron numbers in the 2 UOAs I have done with 5-30. As Doug as put it, iron numbers in this range are irrelevent. Engine cleaniness and low bearing wear with M1 5-30 as been my experience.

Seems odd M1 5w-30 would be the racer's choice as the 10w-30 is the one which is regarded as more durable. wth happened to M1 R 0w-30?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Seems odd M1 5w-30 would be the racer's choice as the 10w-30 is the one which is regarded as more durable. wth happened to M1 R 0w-30?

X2 about the 5W-30 over 10W-30. M1 R 0W-30 is gone but they are bringing out a new racing oil with a 0W-30 viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back