Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Lubrication and General Automotive » ATF, Differential, Trans, Brake, P/S
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Big Jim
Originally Posted By: Rolf
Rubbing alcohol is easy to find in drug stores and 99 cent type stores so that's what I use.

Usually rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol has unpleasant additive for first aid use.

Denatured alcohol (ethanol with a bit of methanol to render it undrinkable) is a lot cheaper per ounce.

And what would that source be? I haven't noticed it.

Paint stores or Home Depot sell quarts and gallons of denatured alcohol.

Thank you. I'll look for it. I can't help but wonder if it isn't available anymore. It is hard to find paint thinner. It is no longer labeled as paint thinner. It is only sold in pint cans and labeled as paint cleaner. The label makes it look like it isn't intended for thinning paint, but only for clean up.

Thank you. I'll look for it. I can't help but wonder if it isn't available anymore. It is hard to find paint thinner. It is no longer labeled as paint thinner. It is only sold in pint cans and labeled as paint cleaner. The label makes it look like it isn't intended for thinning paint, but only for clean up.

They've been calling it Mineral Spirits for a long time now. They don't want people adding "paint thinner" to oil paints because of the VOC laws. They want oil paint used exactly as it comes out of the paint can. Lots a luck.......Painters getting caught thinning oil paint can cause themselves lots of problems if they're ever caught...........
spankme2.gif

This is one of the evolutions that has sucker punched me again. In my lifelong history there was "just washer fluid" ..it was always rated @ -25 or whatever ..and that was it. I kept looking at "Premier" washer fluid and saying "what scam are they running now?" ...

..and now I find that all that is blue is not created equal anymore.

Now you have to pay large to get former commonality.

Here in Florida, most fluids are not for cold weather. I took a trip up North once in November, and the Florida fluid froze. Next time, If I don't have to stuff that goes well below freezing, I will do what I sometimes did when I lived full time up North. I will add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to the fluid to keep it from freezing. Only problem I had with that was that everytime I used the windshield washers, I could smell the alcohol come in from the air vents under the windshield. Small price to pay to be able to keep the windshield clean in the snow and slush.

Originally Posted By: Gravely20G
What is the best windshield fluid for extremely cold temps?

the orange stuff at AAP...just go to any AAP and ask for "the orange stuff for the windshield washer" the cro-magnon man behind the counter will remove his index digit from his nostril (be sure to step back so as not to be hit by any flying goobers) and point towards the display of 1 gallon jugs and utter "ugh-uhg". Then you can select as many as you like, pay and leave as quickly as possible before you get infected.
13.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

They've been calling it Mineral Spirits for a long time now. They don't want people adding "paint thinner" to oil paints because of the VOC laws. They want oil paint used exactly as it comes out of the paint can. Lots a luck.......Painters getting caught thinning oil paint can cause themselves lots of problems if they're ever caught...........
spankme2.gif

I have 4 gallon cans of Paint Thinner out in the garage..I use it to clean everything...does a great job on road tar. Sometimes, when I get angry with the EPA for all of those stupid regulations they keep beating us up with I'll wash my tools in an old coffee can & paint thinner and then dump it in the ravine or just let it sit in the sun and evaporate...
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back