1997 Camry 5SFE with valve cover off

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Hey all,

Here are some pics of 1997 Camry with the valve cover off. The engine is still original and it has 174,300 miles now. I bought the car last February from the original owner. At that time the car had 163,400.

I had 2 oil changes done with MaxLife first (2800 miles) and then Formula Shell second (4000 miles). Current fill is PP 5W-30 with 3800 miles on the oil.

I took off the cover since the gasket was leaking and I replaced the PCV valve.

I already bought 2 bottles of Auto-RX and I wanted to know if my engine has sludge or not.

Well here are the pics. What do you think?

DSCN6754.jpg

DSCN6756.jpg

DSCN6757.jpg

DSCN6761.jpg

DSCN6764.jpg

DSCN6766.jpg

I would say it's 90% varnish. Honestly, I'd save the money on the Auto-RX and just use PP. It should slowly remove some of the varnish....the engines DOES have ~175k+ on it.

Looks like the engine may have had some extended drain intervals in the past.

Nothing to be concerned about IMHO.

While it does have some varnish, no biggie.

Quote:
Looks like the engine may have had some extended drain intervals in the past.
Agree 100% with GMFan here. I doubt 5k ocis (or even 7500 mile ones (which back then were the norm for Toyota) were followed.

But still, I'd save the $$ for the ARX and use any SM oil for 5k OCI and you'll be good for another 175k miles.

Take care and THANKS for posting the photos.
cheers3.gif

Bill

Thanks for the pictures. You might try M1 10-30 high mileage for cleaning the engine up. Notice the pics on their web site. They look very much like your pics.

Not bad considering it has a sludge prone engine. Heavy carbon build up. Auto Rx could work. Please post up some picks after you are done.

Thank you all for your replies. What is varnish exactly?

I already received the Auto-RX and I will be using it. Also I will use it in my power steering and auto tranny units to clean them up.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Not bad considering it has a sludge prone engine. Heavy carbon build up. Auto Rx could work. Please post up some picks after you are done.

Yes i will post pics after i finish the treatment.

I'd manually clean everything I could with solvent and rags/brushes, while wearing protective gloves and doing it outdoors for health's sake.

It looks like some of the cam lobes even have varnish on them which seems amazing.

Originally Posted By: JAG
It looks like some of the cam lobes even have varnish on them which seems amazing.

Can you please explain? Where are the cam lobes?

Is it amazing in a good way or a bad way?

The cam lobes are the part of the cams that make contact with the parts below the cams (tappets, I believe they are called in your engine). They are shaped like the profile of a rain drop, kind of.

It amazes me because I'd expect that the rubbing between the lobes and the tappets (?) would not allow varnish to remain there. It's not a good thing by itself but it's not terrible either.

The cam lobes are the shiny things on the two cams on the 2nd photo. The cams are the 2 things going left to right in the 2nd photo.

Amazing as the follower is not touching the cam all the time like most do.

Take care, Bill

AR/X will cleanup the rings, that in it self will be worth the price of the A R/X. Now is a good time to check the valve lash.

Originally Posted By: JAG
The cam lobes are the part of the cams that make contact with the parts below the cams (tappets, I believe they are called in your engine). They are shaped like the profile of a rain drop, kind of.

It amazes me because I'd expect that the rubbing between the lobes and the tappets (?) would not allow varnish to remain there. It's not a good thing by itself but it's not terrible either.
I have seen that on many camshafts. The engine looks real good.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
a can of seafoam would work just as good to get that varnish off.

Has it worked for you? I had no luck, just asking not trying to say it doesn't work.

And +1 on pics after you are done with ARX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back