Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consumer Reports said that these blades were the only ones from their test group that maintained excellent wiping performance after six months of use. Every other blade in their test group showed a significant decline in wiping performance after six months, but the Rain-X Latitude did not. Therefore, they are highly recommended by CR.

I was thinking about getting a set of these for a friend's car. Together, the 18" and 24" blades are $26 shipped, which is about average as far as cost goes.

Has anyone used these blades before? Would you agree with CR's conclusion about their performance?

Thanks.

I bought them because they were the most "cost-effective" beam type blades I could get for my car off the shelf here. I believe I paid $26 each for them at Wal-Mart (stuff isn't cheap in Canada, to put that in perspective a litre of Mobil 1 5W-30 is $9.46).

I am very happy with the performance, they have stood up well in an extremely cold (it's been -25 for weeks on end) winter and they look like they are on track to last over a year. I have had them for six months now.

The car in question here is a 06 Corolla. I checked on ToyotaNation, and one person tried the Rain-X Latitude blades on their Corolla and wasn't impressed. A google search yielded some very mixed reviews on these blades as well.

Not sure what to do. It's either these or the Valeo Ultimates.

I changed my mind. Just ordered a set of the Valeo Ultimate 900 series blades from TireRack. The reviews of the valeo Ultimate blades were just more consistent--they were always favorable. The Rain-X ones seemed iffy despite CR's recommendation.

I'll give these Valeo blades a try and see how they turn out. After all, Valeo is OEM for many vehicle manufacturers, so they must know what they are doing.

I've had the Rain-X blades on all three of my cars for over a year now and they still work great. I would highly recommend them. Only blade I will use.

I think that everyone need to find the wiper blade that works best for their application just like finding the oil/filter combo that works best in your engine. I've been sold on the Bosch Micro Edge Excel. Although I don't see the "Excel" anymore, just the Micro Edge. I keep them clean with amonia and every now and again I lightly sand them with one of those fine nail polish emery pads that has 4 sides to them. These things are what my wife uses to buff her nails with. You can get them at the Dollar Store. Buff with any of the 3 finer sides not the most course side. Then clean with amonia. This buffing helps to reduce the streaking that come with age of wiper blades and the amonia helps keep the rubber on the blade more pliable than alachol does. And, alachol is a drying agent causing the blades to chatter in the cold and not connect to the windshield(right in front of your eyes) as where tha amonia helps to reduce this chatter. This helps me keep my wiper blades beyond 3, maybe 4 years before replacing them. This is no [censored]! Thisreally works for me. I was going to throw away my wiper blades one day and buy new ones when, my 80+ year old father-in-law recomended this to me and it worked brilliantly. He said that "your only going to throw them away, why not give this a try". Again, he was right! A little Rain-X or sililar product just adds to the splender of great viewing out of the windshield.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I think that everyone need to find the wiper blade that works best for their application just like finding the oil/filter combo that works best in your engine. I've been sold on the Bosch Micro Edge Excel. Although I don't see the "Excel" anymore, just the Micro Edge. I keep them clean with amonia and every now and again I lightly sand them with one of those fine nail polish emery pads that has 4 sides to them. These things are what my wife uses to buff her nails with. You can get them at the Dollar Store. Buff with any of the 3 finer sides not the most course side. Then clean with amonia. This buffing helps to reduce the streaking that come with age of wiper blades and the amonia helps keep the rubber on the blade more pliable than alachol does. And, alachol is a drying agent causing the blades to chatter in the cold and not connect to the windshield(right in front of your eyes) as where tha amonia helps to reduce this chatter. This helps me keep my wiper blades beyond 3, maybe 4 years before replacing them. This is no [censored]! Thisreally works for me. I was going to throw away my wiper blades one day and buy new ones when, my 80+ year old father-in-law recomended this to me and it worked brilliantly. He said that "your only going to throw them away, why not give this a try". Again, he was right! A little Rain-X or sililar product just adds to the splender of great viewing out of the windshield.

So you're saying that by buffing the blades it puts a sharp edge back on the blade? Interesting for sure, I might try that.

Yaers ago I saw an ad on TV for a simple little hand held device that you ran down your wiper blade and it removed about 1/8th of an inch of the leading edge, giving you a new sharp edge. It had a little razor blade attached that did the cutting, and it looked like it worked well. Seemed like a good idea to me, but I never bought one to try.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I wish people would get with the spirit of criticize The Critic month.

That was last month. This month is agree with the critic month.

alachol is a drying agent causing the blades to chatter

Alachol does not make only wiper blades chatter...

i just go to the dealer for the Volvo. the drivers side blade has a little wing thing on it and the passengers side is shaped like a scoop slightly.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I wish people would get with the spirit of criticize The Critic month.

That was last month. This month is agree with the critic month.

I didn't get the memo.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I changed my mind. Just ordered a set of the Valeo Ultimate 900 series blades from TireRack. The reviews of the valeo Ultimate blades were just more consistent--they were always favorable. The Rain-X ones seemed iffy despite CR's recommendation.

I'll give these Valeo blades a try and see how they turn out. After all, Valeo is OEM for many vehicle manufacturers, so they must know what they are doing.

Trico is also an OEM supplier. Their exact fit line of wiper blades are easy to install and work well. Plus you don't have to go mail order to get them. I've seen the Rain-x wipers at either Autozone or Orielly's or maybe it was Walmart.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

So you're saying that by buffing the blades it puts a sharp edge back on the blade? Interesting for sure, I might try that.

Yaers ago I saw an ad on TV for a simple little hand held device that you ran down your wiper blade and it removed about 1/8th of an inch of the leading edge, giving you a new sharp edge. It had a little razor blade attached that did the cutting, and it looked like it worked well. Seemed like a good idea to me, but I never bought one to try.

Well, here's my way of thinking. Over time, the wiper blades become grooved each time that their used. Constantly running the blades over the grit or even ice from the winter causes them to deteriorate. My father-in-law explains it this way...Watch a barber clean his shaving blade on a leather strap. You never see the barber sharpen the blade any other way. This leather strap knocks down all of the burs on the edge of the blade and sharpens it at the same time. This is what the "fine sanding"(if you will)does to the wiper blades. I like to fine sand(with the buffing pad) the sides of the wiper blades and then the actual part of the blade that touches the windshield. I do this with soap and water so that the "buffing pad" that Im using slides smoothly along the wiper blade. Or at least do it wet, kinda like wet sanding. You don't have to work hard, just nice smooth. Im not joking, it really works for me. Then when your done sanding the blades, clean the blades with the amonia on a papertowel and let them air dry alowing the amonia to set/soak into the blades. The amonia idea isn't from my FIL but,is actually from an older gentleman that I knew in the early 1970's when I worked at my dad's service station. That's another story.

I know Rain-X wiper blades are sold at Walmart in Canada, but they are very expensive compared to the "Cheapies" I have tried numerous brands and find that the best thing is to buy a set of "Cheapies" just before winter and install them. Then next winter replace them. I have never had a "Wiping" problem or had them freeze up on me with ice etc. I think this is the only way to "Survive" winter. At least in Canada anyways...
grin2.gif

You can try 3M wet sandpaper on the blades.
Fold it and wet sand the entire length of the used blade.
You can get a few more months out of the blade this way.

I tried the Bosch Icon's a couple years ago on my wife's Mazda3 and did NOT care for them. After a few months, I put on RainX Weatherbeaters which worked good and I've been using them since. However, a month ago I decided to upgrade wipers so I went with the Latitudes. Amazing! They are a lot nicer than the Icon's I tried. I've been very happy with the Latitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back