Internet Explorer 8 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use this?
I just noticed the Fafsa website show that it does not work with this browser. I had submitted an application that customer service said did not show up in their system.

I was wondering why sometimes things on websites don't look kosher. Things are sometimes screwed up.

I have it and like it overall. There are some pages you have to run in compatibility mode, but that is because the page is bending a rule or two on web standards.

IE8 is great with Vista. Hopefully RC1 comes out soon. I'm assuming more compatibility issues will be solved with that version.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
There are some pages you have to run in compatibility mode, but that is because the page is bending a rule or two on web standards.

Yeah, I'm sure it's not MS bending standards.
Embrace, extend, extinguish.

There are some pages you have to run in compatibility mode, but that is because the page is bending a rule or two on web standards.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I know this has already been quoted in a reply, and I know it's been said before, but...

Internet Explorer is, by a long shot, the least standards compliant, least secure piece of garbage ever released on a commercial scale.

The only pages that bend rules and standards are the ones designed to function only with Internet Explorer, hence the necessity for IE to even *have* a "compatibility mode"!

Later versions are starting to suck a lot less than their predecessors in these regards, but it still sucks. The original responder had it right: They 1) embrace, 2) extend, and 3) extinguish standards, which 4) locks their users in to their proprietary suckiness, in an effort to 5) profit!

In the interest of disclosure, I have been using the beta in a virtual machine for a little while now; mostly to check sites I am working on, but also to evaluate as a browser, and I have yet to run across a site that "doesn't work" (If I did, I'd likely chalk it up to it being a beta...) My only quibbles remain, as they always have, related to the rendering engine.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I know this has already been quoted in a reply, and I know it's been said before, but...

Internet Explorer is, by a long shot, the least standards compliant, least secure piece of garbage ever released on a commercial scale.

The only pages that bend rules and standards are the ones designed to function only with Internet Explorer, hence the necessity for IE to even *have* a "compatibility mode"!

Later versions are starting to suck a lot less than their predecessors in these regards, but it still sucks. The original responder had it right: They 1) embrace, 2) extend, and 3) extinguish standards, which 4) locks their users in to their proprietary suckiness, in an effort to 5) profit!

In the interest of disclosure, I have been using the beta in a virtual machine for a little while now; mostly to check sites I am working on, but also to evaluate as a browser, and I have yet to run across a site that "doesn't work" (If I did, I'd likely chalk it up to it being a beta...) My only quibbles remain, as they always have, related to the rendering engine.

IE 7 was the major offender of standards. IE 8 will try to undo that.

Just so that I'm not chalked up as a MS Kool-Aid lover, I have Red Hat Enterprise 5 on my machine as well. I've seen a lot of the same rendering defects on IE 8 and Firefox 3 (Windows and RHEL) at the same sites.

As Willy Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet

"They were hoist with their own petard"

I am enjoying the fact that MS's biggest problem with their more standards compliant IE8 is making it work with the web sites that were designed around IE7 and earlier versions of MS's non-standards compliant garbage.

You can only use one at a time. If you are running XP and haven't installed Service Pack 3 yet, hold off on the IE8 Beta install. There have been some noted problems with uninstallation of IE 8 under certain conditions in XP Service Pack 2.

OK
I got Firefox and IE8 on my computer now, my laptop as well. I like Firefox so far, it's faster. I got my settings over on it from IE8 (favorites etc)so that was a nice feature.

I was getting some IE8 crashes at times, so that was getting old. I will try it on banking sites and some other sites so that will be a good test.

IE8 Crashes... No really? Not another product from MS that doesn't work properly!
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back