Is Mobil 1 malarkey ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Not at all. The test is did not perform well on is a low temp/low load test meant to replicate stop/go driving. It appears they did get caught not meeting this spec for whatever reason.

Mobil 1 is still a very stable oil that is one of the best at preventing high temp deposits and sludge.

Is there a link to this? I haven't been 'round much...

Originally Posted By: zulu
Here's my problem.... ExxonMobil has such a HUGE grip on the synthetic market, lots of people are willing to "overlook" any shortcomings it might have. You might disagree, but 5W-30 has been suspect on this board for a long time. People just accepted it was one of their "weaker" formulations.

But now here, as all the facts/semi-facts/conclusions are coming full circle, there are STILL people who are willing to give Mobil 1 a free pass. Exxon/Mobil is HAPPY to not tell you. YOUR IGNORANCE IS THEIR BLISS. If PP or Amsoil started spitting out high Fe, or abnormal wear numbers, etc, etc, people would string them up on a flagpole for all the world to see. I know there are LOTS of dedicated Mobil 1 users, but FACE IT... the product you used in the past is NOT the product that is on the shelf right now. Mabye they will fix it. I'm sure they will. But I'm not going to give them the opportunity to in my vehicles.

I'm done with EM. I kept hammering Amsoil for the price, but nowadays, I'd be happy to pay the higher premium for a little company transparancy and honesty.

Looks like you're with us too? I always say its your money spend it how ever you want. I'm done with XOM, not that they care mind you!

I think Amsoil because of this board, and the dealers that frequent it would be on top of the situation. Small companies care, especially a high end oil company like Amsoil, Schaeffers, etc. Its car enthusiasts that are willing to pay more, and expect more. They don't want to lose us. Mobil doesn't care. I think Pennzoil would be on top of the situation as well, but it might take a little longer for them to address the situation vs. a smaller company, I could be wrong.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think XOM is a greedy company that only cares about profits...

I totally agree -- to an extent. But don't think the boys at Ashland Oil will be directed by St. Peter to jump ahead of Mother Theresa at the pearly gates when they die, either...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think XOM is a greedy company that only cares about profits...

I totally agree -- to an extent. But don't think the boys at Ashland Oil will be directed by St. Peter to jump ahead of Mother Theresa at the pearly gates when they die, either...

Amen!

Originally Posted By: zulu
Here's my problem.... ExxonMobil has such a HUGE grip on the synthetic market, lots of people are willing to "overlook" any shortcomings it might have. You might disagree, but 5W-30 has been suspect on this board for a long time. People just accepted it was one of their "weaker" formulations.

But now here, as all the facts/semi-facts/conclusions are coming full circle, there are STILL people who are willing to give Mobil 1 a free pass. Exxon/Mobil is HAPPY to not tell you. YOUR IGNORANCE IS THEIR BLISS. If PP or Amsoil started spitting out high Fe, or abnormal wear numbers, etc, etc, people would string them up on a flagpole for all the world to see. I know there are LOTS of dedicated Mobil 1 users, but FACE IT... the product you used in the past is NOT the product that is on the shelf right now. Mabye they will fix it. I'm sure they will. But I'm not going to give them the opportunity to in my vehicles.

I'm done with EM. I kept hammering Amsoil for the price, but nowadays, I'd be happy to pay the higher premium for a little company transparancy and honesty.

thumbsup2.gif

The only oil worth purchasing that I will be a part of is,the Mobil 5000,thats used in the girlfriends Crown Vic. Other then that,their synthetic oil can remain on store shelves,untouched for all I care.

You people are on here debating this like a couple of girls arguing whether Mary Kay is better than Avon. I have 3 Grady White boats that are worth apprx $280,000. I run M-1 exclusively in these boats. Never have a problem. I use it in my 2 trucks and 3 cars, never a problem. My pride and joy is a 1968 Plymouth RoadRunner that I bought new in high school in 1968. It is a 426 HEMI with a torqueflite auto. I had it completely rebuilt 5 years ago. On a dyno it puts out 550 hp at the rear wheels. Guess whats in the crankcase? Mobil 1 10W-30 and Mobil-1 ATF in the trans. So, forget all of this hype and bullshi$$. If you don't like M-1 don't use it. If it works for you like it works for me then keep on using it and God bless you. This endless rant is really sickening. If this oils properties were questionable than I guess GM, BMW, Mercedes,Honda,Porsche, and others would not certify it for their vehicles. So, use what makes you happy, and if you don't like another companies products, then don't use them.

Any oil will work... It's not that, it's whats the best bang for your buck in terms of protection and what the company stands for etc. No one said that M1 didn't work... And if they did the post was deleted! Please READ again!

Originally Posted By: gwdriver
You people are on here debating this like a couple of girls arguing whether Mary Kay is better than Avon. I have 3 Grady White boats that are worth apprx $280,000. I run M-1 exclusively in these boats. Never have a problem. I use it in my 2 trucks and 3 cars, never a problem. My pride and joy is a 1968 Plymouth RoadRunner that I bought new in high school in 1968. It is a 426 HEMI with a torqueflite auto. I had it completely rebuilt 5 years ago. On a dyno it puts out 550 hp at the rear wheels. Guess whats in the crankcase? Mobil 1 10W-30 and Mobil-1 ATF in the trans. So, forget all of this hype and bullshi$$. If you don't like M-1 don't use it. If it works for you like it works for me then keep on using it and God bless you. This endless rant is really sickening. If this oils properties were questionable than I guess GM, BMW, Mercedes,Honda,Porsche, and others would not certify it for their vehicles. So, use what makes you happy, and if you don't like another companies products, then don't use them.

I used it for years too, and it worked. Now they get called out and people are having their doubts and discussing it here on the board. If there is something better for the money, or a problem associated with a product that I use, I want to know about it. It's also good to get an idea of what other members are doing too. There is no better place to learn and discuss cars and oil than here!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: gwdriver

It's not [censored] and whatever else you wanna call it. Alot of people have lost their TRUST for Exxonmobil and that in turn affects whether they buy a product or not. I choose not to,period.

M1 0W20 and 0W40 on clearance for $2/qt is best bang for my buck or not ?

If most DIY's stop buying M1, then it'll be on clearance again for $2/qt or less, then I'll clear the self one more time.

If I see it for those prices I'll buy it and resell it. I bought up some Havoline over the summer for $1/qt. I used some, and sold some. Turned in a little profit, bought the wife dinner.

I think all of the "Mobil 1 being the factory fill in the Nissan GTR,Porcshe whatever,Corvette,etc" is all about $$$$$$$,and marketing.

BUT,dont get me wrong,I`m not knocking their oil,I just think they`re paying those car companies to advertise their product.

Last edited:
The only people who really know about the Mobil/Valvoline issue is those who hang out on "forums" like this one, 99.98 % of the public have no idea and could care less. Sure, people who hang here might stomp there feet and switch to brand X, but in the big picture, it won't make a hill of beans difference in Mobil sales.

I think its $$$$$$$$ and marketing. I often wonder, and would like to know for the sake of argument. If after GM, or Ford picks Oil Brand X as their factory fill because it meets their requirements, do they spot check the product? Or is it that it meets the spec, gets used, and that's the end of it, no further testing is required? Is the product checked each time a new batch comes in, or monthly, quarterly, yearly? Or is it who bids the lowest price for factory fills, meeting minimum requirements, and quality is second?

It's about company kick back. I know that my company uses a certain cleaning chemical company because we get a cut of whats sold... Same thing. They know any oil will work fine in the engine but because XOM wants the publicity they use their product. Either way it will provide adequete protection in the engine during the warranty period if the customer keeps using it all the while giving XOM more brand exposure and the bragging rights that they are used by Honda etc.. We do the same in my industry and the cleaning chemical uses our big name to advertise to other companies... Its a scratch my back/your back kinda world. The rest of the world doesn't realize it IMHO.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I think all of the "Mobil 1 being the factory fill in the Nissan GTR,Porcshe whatever,Corvette,etc" is all about $$$$$$$,and marketing.

BUT,dont get me wrong,I`m not knocking their oil,I just think they`re paying those car companies to advertise their product.

Exxon/Mobil is the factory fill of these vehicles because they have the biggest pockebook, not because they are the best.

Case in point: The GM 4718M spec...

GM/EM have a VERY long standing relationship, which is why on Corvettes, HHR SS, Cobalt SS, CTSs, and such you see a "MOBIL 1 FACTORY FILL" logo and cap. But GM's ONLY requirment is that the oil meets thier special specifications (4718M). Look at how many other oils on the market PASSED THE VERY SAME SPEC MOBIL 1 DID. They all went through the EXACT same testing as Mobil 1 to approve this spec. GM uses M1 because Exxon/Mobil threw the most money at them. Whether or not their oil was that much better has not been proven. That's why Mobil 1 will continue to flourish, regardless of what the few of us decide. We are small potatoes to them. The other 99.8% of the public will continue to look at Mobil 1 and think "wow, if it's good enough for a Corvette, Porsche, Viper, GTR, etc, then it must be good enough for my car." That's why Exxon/Mobil responed to Valvoline's claim the way they did. They don't care. That's a bug on the windshield to them...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I think its $$$$$$$$ and marketing. I often wonder, and would like to know for the sake of argument. If after GM, or Ford picks Oil Brand X as their factory fill because it meets their requirements, do they spot check the product? Or is it that it meets the spec, gets used, and that's the end of it, no further testing is required? Is the product checked each time a new batch comes in, or monthly, quarterly, yearly? Or is it who bids the lowest price for factory fills, meeting minimum requirements, and quality is second?

I`d be willing to bet Mobil walks in,opens their wallet,and suddenly their logo is on the oil fill cap.

I had a feeling there were some kick backs too. I would imagine having your company name stamped on an oil fill cap is big!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back