Motor Oil Filter Sizes (microns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned recently that most commercial motor oil filters are manufactured at a pore size of about 25 microns, and if one uses a higher-end filter of about a 10 micron size, they can significantly prolong the the life of their engine. Two questions: 1) Thoughts/comments on this statment...? 2) Any idea where I can find information on filter pore sizes? They are not printed on the boxes for off-the-shelf filters.

Filtering smaller particles will prolong the life of the motor. But how long is the question. The life of the engine to most people is for the length of time they own it which might be only 100,000 miles. For others that drive them into the ground and might go 300-400,000 miles that is really important. But as others have stated here before, most people will get rid of the car or the other components will fail before the engine does.

WIX does give specs on their website. (Beta ratio)

But just for info purposes some of the best filtering filters are: Wix, Puolator Pure One, Carquest Blue, Napa Gold, Mobil 1

Last edited:
Diesel filters are tested to 10 microns using the Cummins test. This is why I started running the Donaldson SYNTEQ filters.

Automotive filters are all over the map.

For most filters, the medium does not have a fixed pore size. The filter is generally a tangled mat of fibers with each path through the filter having a different effective pore size. As the filter is used, the effective pore size decreases. ZZman's links will probably give you an obtainable metric to compare brands.

Depends on the oil change intervals on what results you may get. The operation of the vehicle will be the determining factor . The most important filter is the ari filter and it being sealed to minimize the dirt entering the engine.

all - thanks for the reply's. Zzman, good perspecitve and good links. notably, i had previously read one of those two links you provided me. in fact, the GE study mentioned in one of those two links you provided is the original source where i learned of this supposed prolonged engine life from using a motor oil filter of 10 microns or smaller. that is what cause me to create my original post on this topic. though it appears that was a diesel engine study. and from reading another reply to my post, it seems as though diesel engine filters are of the 10 micron size. so Zzman, i will take your word for your recommended automotive filter brands. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back