Has anyone used Diesel Water Wetter in a gas car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read posts complaining about Water Wetter leaving a brown substance in their overflow bottle. So I thought I'd try Diesel Water Wetter. Redline told me it would work okay. I wasn't expecting one bottle to be intended for a 10-15 gal. cooling system, and since my cooling system holds 8 5/8 quarts I'm not sure how much to use. I was originally planning to use 50% Prestone Long Life antifreeze which would supply enough corrosion and other additives. But if I'm going to use a product like WW why not use less antifreeze since I'm in a warm climate. The record low here is -8 degrees F and 40%/60% antifreeze to water will protect down to -12 deg F. So is there another additive I should add to prevent corrosion. Or should I take the Diesel Water Wetter back and get similar product with lubricants and corrosion inhibitors that doesn't leave brown deposits in the coolant?

IMO, water wetter is the last thing that you need in a street driven car...ever.

Improving the heat transfer to the coolant is necessary on race cars and rock crawlers, not street engines.

Yep, save your $$$$

I used WaterWetter in 3 different cars and all I got was black slime in the overflow tank. Save your money and just use a proper coolant/water mix.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yep, save your $$$$

I used WaterWetter in 3 different cars and all I got was black slime in the overflow tank.

I had read about the black or brown slime. I also read that the Diesel Water Wetter didn't have the additives which cause this problem.

Ive used schaeffer's clean and cool before, and no mess, no slime, and it stays clean in there!

James, I have read the same thing you have, the diesel version does not have the additives.
The regular water wetter that redline sells is intended for water ONLY coolant systems, so they have some additional additives....which is what scums up the overflow bottle on coolant mix vehicles.
The Diesel version is intended to go into a coolant mix.....so no need for the additional additives.

I called Redline for some product information. They told me that a 30%/70% antifreeze/water mixture is enough to protect the cooling system from corrosion. And for a 2 gallon cooling system only 1/4 of the bottle of Diesel Water Wetter is needed, but using the whole 15 OZ. bottle wouldn't hurt anything.
Now I just need to decide whether to use a 40/60 or 50/50 antifreeze/water mixture.

Last edited:
Shannow is right. Street cars don't need it. I do run water wetter in the YZ250F. Bikes have marginal cooling at best and they can benefit from wetter.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
IMO, water wetter is the last thing that you need in a street driven car...ever.

Improving the heat transfer to the coolant is necessary on race cars and rock crawlers, not street engines.

+1 Indeed

I've used a bottle of Redline Water Wetter with every coolant flush I've done in the last 4-5 years (all green), I've never once seen brown or black sludge in the overflow tank.

In fact, in my 01 F150, I used a bottle of WW along with distilled water and that turned out to be the cleanest/greenest 45,000 mile coolant I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back