Oil for a Chevy Trailblazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new owner of a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer w/ 45,000 miles. I am almost at the end of the RX cleaning. After the rinse cycle, I am going to a full synthetic. I have not found much history of oil on the I6 aluminum engine. I have an extended warranty on the vehicle and want to stay with an "approved" oil for that duration. My thoughts as of now are between M1(which one), PP, or Havoline. I am not quantifying cost/benefit. Any help appreciated.

How many miles per year will you drive? What kind of driving are you doing (short trips, highway etc.).

What are you looking to spend, and how long do you want to keep this vehicle?

Well, I drive about 12-13K per year and is a combination of light city and mostly open road driving. Summertime towing of a 1000# boat a few times a week.

I would use Pennzoil Platnium with a Good quality filter like: Amsoil EAO, Wix, Pure-1, Mobil-1 and change it just before the winter, and in the summer. You will be good to go, and get many trouble free miles out of your truck!
wink.gif

I had used PP in my 96 Blazer with the 4.3 V6. That engine for me was finicky. It was noisy with the PP, GC, and some Mobil 1. I was leaning towards the PP or Havoline for this Trailblazer, so I think the push to PP is on.

Originally Posted By: DoubleDee
I had used PP in my 96 Blazer with the 4.3 V6. That engine for me was finicky. It was noisy with the PP, GC, and some Mobil 1. I was leaning towards the PP or Havoline for this Trailblazer, so I think the push to PP is on.

4.3`s although a very good engine,are a noisy one.

I know there is a lot of controversy over M1 right now, BUT these in-line 6's have shown good wear numbers on M1...check the UOA's......

I have the same vehicle with about the same mileage. I've tried several different oils, for me I think Valvoline dino 5W-30 works the best. I thought Mobil 1 made the engine noisier.
I haven't tried Pennzoil Platinum in this vehicle yet, but I will probably at the next oil change. My Grand Marquis seems to love PP.

Don't know if you know this or not - the I6 in your vehicle takes seven quarts of oil. I've been using the A/C Delco filter PH61 - great price at Wallymart.

Noisy engine doesn't mean more wear... My engine ticks in the winter time and makes other funny noises and yet I consistently get great wear numbers from my current oil... You have to go by UOA and not the sound!
grin2.gif

Be a guinea pig, try the new Kendall GT-1 Ultimate synthetic that meets the GM4718M spec.

GT-1® Ultimate Synthetic Motor Oil
Typical Properties
SAE Grade: 5W-30/10W-30
Specific Gravity @ 60°F: 0.852/0.857
Density, lbs/gal @ 60°F: 7.11/7.14
Color, ASTM D1500: 2.5/2.5
Flash Point (COC), °C(°F): 238(460)/248(478)
Pour Point, °C(°F): -36(-33)/-36(-33)
Viscosity, Kinematic,
cSt @ 40°C: 56.3/66.6
cSt @ 100°C: 10.0/10.6
Viscosity Index: 166/148
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP @ (°C) (-30) (-25): 4,550/4,900
High-Temp/High-Shear Viscosity, cP @ 150°C: 3.0/3.3
Sulfated Ash, ASTM D874, wt %: 0.92/0.92
Total Base Number (TBN), ASTM D2896: 8.8/8.8
Phosphorus, wt %: 0.075/0.075
Zinc, wt %: 0.084/0.084

I'm happy with my Amsoil. It's a great product, good price and returns excellent wear results in my UOA's. No need to change, I'm already happy!
grin2.gif

I would have tried Amsoil, but with the extended warranty in play, I should stay with an "approved" oil. I know noise doesn't necessarily mean wear, but a good UOA with no noise is my preferred goal. M1 gave me good UOA's in the 4.3 V6, but I think I will try PP and see what the UOA turns out like. If it is noisy though, I will dump for the next choice.

PP has been noticeably "quieter" than M1 in 3 different apps I've tried it in so far: '99 4.6 2V, '05 Duratec 3.0L, and '05 4.6 4V. Each sounded somehow less metallic with PP.

Last edited:
UOA = Universal Oil Analysis.

In my opinion the best place to get them is from Dyson Analysis (Click Here) or Black Stone Labs (Click Here)

The most information about your engine and how it's wearing will come from Terry Dyson at Dyson Analysis, but it costs more...

Cheers,

Steve

UOA= Used oil analysis I have the GMC version of the Trailblazer. PP is a great choice. Forget GC 0w30. My engine just did not fair well running it, with a considerable drop in fuel mileage. My personal favorite for this engine is Schaeffers 7000, 5w30, changed every 6-7k. A small increase in gas mileage, very quiet. A Pure One filter works fine, as well as K&N and M1 filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back