Apple 10.5.6 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple came out with a big update to Leopard. I think it was 190 mb or so. According to the iAntivirus Blog (iAntivirus is a free antivirus made for Mac OS X made by PC Tools) there were a huge number of security holes addressed by this update, in addition to some other stuff.

From what I have seen the big threats to Mac OS X and perhaps any Unix type OS are exploits-not malware. All kinds of exploits for trying to take over a system.

Bringing those tidings must have felt oh soooo good you just might need a change of underwear now, dontcha?

I'm still waiting for mischief...

Originally Posted By: moribundman
By the bye, I don't use Leotard, I use Tigger.

You forgot to punctuate that statement with Gerrr.

Sounds like it was a real great update!

"A day after the software was released via Apple's download service, users flooded the company's online support forum with hundreds of complaints about the upgrade. Most centered around OS freezes and so-called "Blue Screens of Death." "

MAC Blue Screens

You know something, Pop_Rivit, I did have a few problems after I downloaded that update. Safari seemed much slower and I had some problems updating my commercial antivirus program. Occasionally companies will release bad updates. My computer did run faster before the update.

In my post all I did was announce the Apple 10.5.6 update and that according to the iAntivirus Blog Apple had fixed a lot of security issues. I receive email from the iAntivirus Blog. So I am trying to figure out why I was personally attacked by mori.

I still own an iMac in addition to a Windows computer so I am still interested in Apple updates and Apple security patches. It seems to me that it is positive and not negative that Apple included security patches for some security holes that had been found. That certainly is better than Apple either not finding security patches for any security issues or else denying that they even have any security issues. I am sure there are people at Apple who worked very hard developing security solutions to any known security issues. I personally appreciate that Apple was willing and able to develop security fixes.

And PC Tools, the maker of Spyware Doctor for Windows, is kind enough to provide a FREE antivirus program for Apple users. I appreciate their efforts also. If I did not own a commercial antivirus program I would use their iAntivirus. I will use their iAntivirus after my subscription runs out for the commercial antivirus.

So how anybody could somehow find what I said in the post offensive to Apple or demeaning to their choice of computer is beyond my understanding. I suppose it just proves my point about the Cult of Mac. Anyway, what he said in reply to my post reflects on him.

I did not know until I read what you said here about Apple getting a lot of complaints about the 10.5.6 update for Leopard. From now on I think I will hold off on updates. I guess Apple can make mistakes contrary to what some Mac extreme fans think! And it must be serious if they are getting hundreds of complaints from owners because Mac fans do not complain readily about Apple stuff. But I guess I better be careful-I might get another ridiculous reply from Mori! I wonder if he even understand what his reply above makes he seem like.

I am concerned about the 10.5.6 update. It certainly slowed down my computer. So hopefully Apple will release another update quickly to correct for issues raised in the 10.5.6 update. Maybe they should have tested that 10.5.6 update a little bit better. At any rate it shows that they are not perfect.

Thank goodness my updates for Microsoft never seem to cause any problems. The only complaint I had was that it took forever to download the SP1 update for Windows Vista. After I finally got the SP1 update downloaded everything worked great and everything has always worked great after every single update from Microsoft. They must have some good programmers.

I am committed to eventually go completely Windows and leave the goofball Cult of Mac behind. Mac OS X is a good operating system but I find that to an increasing extent I do more and more of my photo work in Windows Vista. I am getting, after a little bit of effort, better photos printing in Vista than in Mac OS X. There are still a few things I do in Mac OS X but to an increasing extent Apple, Mac OS X, and the entire Mac world becomes increasingly meaningless to me.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I am trying to figure out why I was personally attacked by mori.

They've named a virus after me?
cool.gif

I used to think it was really cool being in the tiny Mac community of users. We felt unique and privileged to be using what we felt was a far superior operating system to Windows. I can still remember going to Colorado Springs along with a lot of other Mac users and attending lectures, checking out new Apple Mac stuff, and being part of a very energetic group of people who felt great in their own little world. I don't regret any of it because it was doing those years I became involved with Photoshop and photography and I don't really think any of that would have happened if I had not been a Mac user. Not so long ago in the past a person almost had to use a Mac to be in the Photoshop world.

Something changed along the way-I am not sure exactly what. Instead of an energetic and excited group of people living in their own little world apart from the Windows crowd it seemed to me to have turned into a prison. The Cult of Mac prison. I decovered that the new Windows really was a lot better than the old Windows and that Photoshop was running great on Windows. Once I had felt free and unique in my Mac community. But now I felt free outside of the Cult of Mac. A Mac computer became just an unnecessarily expensive computer that could not really do anything more than what a person could do on a decent quality Windows computer. I am now getting better prints using Photoshop in Windows Vista than I am getting in Mac OS X. There are only a few things now I need a Mac for.

I don't regret having been a Mac user for so long. But it is time to move on. When it seemed to me to have changed from a tiny and happy community to a Cult I no longer wanted in. I wanted out. Now I feel free on my Windows computer that cost about one third what a Mac Pro costs. I have learned that it is not the operating system that counts-it is what you can do on the computer. A good operating system gets out of a persons way. It is all just technology that changes over time. What is really important are your prints, your work on photographs, your photography-things like that. The computer is really the least of all of that. The computer is just a tool to help you get your stuff done. In the end it does not matter if you did your work on an Apple Computer, a Dell, a Gateway, an HP, or whatever. What really matters is what you have got done.

I don't hang out with folks in the computer community. I make fun of them though!

So, are you ever going to show us any picture have taken? Anything?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back