Thicker Oil for piston slap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe most of the piston squirter designs squirt oil on the underside of the piston for cooling.

BuickGN... You're correct. (Dads a mechanic). One thicker grade of oil would most likely slow down the flow and/or how far it could be suirted/splashed around. Once it warms up it would most likely be the same...

Oil squirters are often used to cool the pistons, as it directs oil to the very hot piston bottoms. You see this on some turbo engines.
But with ANY design, squirters or not, thicker oil cushions the hard slap of the piston will to the bore. When cold, the gap is greater and there is more noise and more need of a palliative. The thicker oil does this.
Like I said, I do not maintain that it has other benefits.

I noticed that my engine had a metallic noise today in even when it had run for well over 30 minutes.

Is this piston slap?

I am running PP 5W-20 in a 2006 Mazda3 in 22 degree weather.

Not sure if it's piston slap or something else?
It's not a knock & ping like the old Chrysler K-cars.

Any guesses?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripleM
I noticed that my engine had a metallic noise today in even when it had run for well over 30 minutes.

Is this piston slap?

Any guesses?

wanted to add that this Mazda 2.3 4 cylinder sounds like a sewing machine purring but there is this hint of mettalic noise in the background with each revolution of the engine.

Kendall made for some nasty piston slap in my 187K mile LS1 Camaro(even back before I turned 100K). I stuck with the 5w30 as always, but Valvoline completely silenced the noise. Other brands worked fairly decent, but there hasn't been a single tap since I started using Valvoline.

Can't explain the science there, but it worked for me, so I say try it. I can literally let my car sit for a week, and still no noise, while Mobil 1 would knock after only a few hours (M1 in an LS1 = sucks like no other).

Originally Posted By: NutBuster
Kendall made for some nasty piston slap in my 187K mile LS1 Camaro(even back before I turned 100K). I stuck with the 5w30 as always, but Valvoline completely silenced the noise. Other brands worked fairly decent, but there hasn't been a single tap since I started using Valvoline.

Can't explain the science there, but it worked for me, so I say try it. I can literally let my car sit for a week, and still no noise, while Mobil 1 would knock after only a few hours (M1 in an LS1 = sucks like no other).

Sounds more like startup knock, not piston slap.

Originally Posted By: tripleM

Is this piston slap?

Any guesses?

wanted to add that this Mazda 2.3 4 cylinder sounds like a sewing machine purring but there is this hint of mettalic noise in the background with each revolution of the engine.

Took a good hard hear of the noise today.
Definitely goes away for the most part after engine is solidly warm.

Had a new radiator put in after front end accident.
Could it be doing too good a job cooling the engine & not adequately allowing it to warm up?

Today was quite warm by Winter standard - mid 50's ambient so I was surprised I heard it louder than usual.

Also since I only drive 1 mile each way to work for the last 3 months, could this contribute to any new wear on the pistons due to lack of sufficient warmup?

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Throw a bottle of STP in it and you'll have no problems.

or lucas, or power punch. That is what an engine guy at my old shop said to do. he has been doing this for 36 years he knows his stuff

I have an 04 Subie Outback 2.5 that has a little slap on cold startup. It's gone after a few minutes of driving. I'm running M1 5W-30 in it.

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Throw a bottle of STP in it and you'll have no problems.

or lucas, or power punch. That is what an engine guy at my old shop said to do. he has been doing this for 36 years he knows his stuff

Devil's advocate, but I know a GM mechanic (the most anal mechanic I've ever met) who advises against putting ANYTHING in your oil. This I am in agreement with. A good oil needs no "assistance" and in my experience with my vehicles, does just fine without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back