Difference between "synthetic" and "fully synthetic" terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I currently use an auto engine oil made by Motorex, a Swiss oil manufacturer famous for Moto related lubrication. I could see on their website www.motorex.ch that they have 3 classes of oils:
- partially synthetic (semi-synthetic)
- synthetic (synthetic performance)
- fully synthetic

I guess partially synthetic means synthetic blend but what then is the difference between synthetic and fully synthetic?? Do you have any clue about this?

Group one is solvent refined. Group 2 and 3 is hydrocracked. Group 3 has a better virgin oil or has more hydrocracking;it performs better in regards to maintaining cold weather and high temp viscosity and has less sulfer. Group 4 is PAO ( real synthetic ) The names are mostly for marketing. Synthetic blend must have 10 and a half percent synthetic. ( 3 or 4 ) To be in a group an oil must be at least 51 percent of that group. In reality, conventional mobil is better than most synthetic blends. It is a mixture of at least 51% group three and the rest is group 2. A synthetic blend be 89.5% group 1.

Hmm, last time I checked the German-speaking Euros classified oils as

1. Mineralöl (Group I, II, II+)

2. Teilsynthese (Blend of II and III or IV and V, I guess)

3. HC (hydrocracked, Group III)

4. Vollsynthese (Group IV and V)

In the above-mentioned Swiss site "synthetisch" can refer only to HC oil.

Why do the Swiss make oil? They don't make cars!
tongue.gif

[ April 22, 2005, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Guys,

Don't we say on this board that the word "synthetic" is not allowed in Europe in reference to group III oils? If that is so, I think that alters the answer. If, however, Switzerland has different requirements than the rest of Europe (as they do in many things), perhaps they use the terms like we do in America.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
I the Rotella T 5W40 I bought says "Fully Synthetic" on the jug, but everyone here says it is a group III.
dunno.gif

Rotella T 5w40 has been long known to be GIII,
examination of the MSDS I believe tells you that and the price is another indicator.

At oil companies in the US, this is a religious preference.

Synth Fundamentalists use the following break down:
1. Conventional: Groups I, II or III.
2. Synthetic Blend: Groups I, II or III mixed with at least something from Group IV or V or both.
3. Synthetic: Groups IV or V or both. Carrier oils for additives may be of lesser groups, but nothing else may be.

Synth Progressives use the following break down:
1. Conventional: Groups I, II or III.
2. Synthetic Blend: Groups I, II or III combined with a small amount of Groups III, IV or V.
3. Synthetic: Groups III, IV or V or any mixture thereof.

I say it's a religious issue because it's the kind of thing where the arguments are fierce and tend to get mean and somewhat unreasonable.
In either religion, "Full Synthetic" is a synonym for "Synthetic."
Mobil is your classic Synth Fundamentalist organization.
Amsoil USED to be Synth Fundamentalists, but with their release of XL7500 and the way they label it, I'm no longer sure. They get Fundie brownie points for disclosing it's Group III though.
In my young driving lifetime, Castrol falls into the Synth Progressive category, and one might argue that they were pioneers in the movement.

Then I am correct. An oil can be 89.5 group 1 and be called a synthetic blend. I like mobil or castrol syntec.

quote:

Originally posted by kilou:

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Why do the Swiss make oil? They don't make cars!

....did you know that Mr Chevrolet is Swiss?

Touché, Monsieur Kilou.
wink.gif

offtopic.gif
The Elves giggled and giggled when they read your response. I have tried to get them to laugh instead of giggle...it's more...well, it's more masculine. I tell them, "Don't giggle...it's...well, it's so....Elf-like." And they tell me, "And your point is?"
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by babydoggy:
Then I am correct. An oil can be 89.5 group 1 and be called a synthetic blend. I like mobil or castrol syntec.

You are correct, and I'm thinking I have seen synthetic blends where they were MOSTLY Group I, but I could be wrong.
This being said, synthetic blends have as their main advantage not their base oils, but rather their additive packs. Since the oil costs twice as much, the blender has the opportunity to mess with a nicer add pack.
Oil economics are neat stuff.

Originally posted by TomJones76:
[QB] At oil companies in the US, this is a religious preference.

Synth Fundamentalists
VS.
Synth Progressives

I say it's a religious issue because it's the kind of thing where the arguments are fierce and tend to get mean and somewhat unreasonable

Sounds like American politics- Cons vs. Libs-
Once again I generally agree with the Fundamentalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back