Cub Cadet 1050 w/25hp kohler. winter prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cub cadet LT 1050 with the 25hp kohler the engine says courage but all the searching i have done online i get the command as a name. Anyways i am going to park it in the shed for the winter.
I have 9.5 hrs on the tractor still with the FF. Should i run the engine and put in some new oil before i park it...if so what type and weight?

I bought a can of engine fogger should i use that?

any other suggestions for this kohler engine.

Definitely dump the factory fill, Any brand name 5 or 10w30 will work fine. Cross reference the Fram PH3614 oil filter to the one you want to use. Then run it completely out of gas. You could remove the air filter after it runs out of gas and spray engine fogger directly into the carb while cranking the engine to distribute it.

that is the same oil filter i use on my toyota...i have a stash of K&N filters for it...yay!

Thoughts about synthetic oil in this motor?

I have a pile of motomaster (shell) formula 1 synthetic 5W-20. Would that be ok in this application?

Synthetic oil will be fine. 5w20 I'm not so sure, It may do good but I would just stick with a good 30w synthetic or not.

Get the old oil out. Always store with fresh oil and filter. Use 10-30 synthetic in that climate.

so after some quick digging i found that kohler suggests dino for first 50hrs on this line of engine. but they also say that you should only use kohler filters...i will have to look at what he charged me for the extra filter when i bought the tractor and see compared to my bulk priced K&N's (its good to have friends give you cost +5% at the auto parts store, i have saved over $500 in the last year alone!)

so new oil it is and a shot of fogger after i run the gas out of it.

Last edited:
Boy, you guys don't mess around. I just change the oil/filter, park it in the corner of the garage and throw a cover over it.

Quote:
but they also say that you should only use kohler filters.

Yep, helps keep their profit margins high!!
grin2.gif

I seriously doubt that a filter mfr would list a cross-reference for the Kohler 1205001 filter (or the 5205002 oversized version) that wouldn't work, y'know? There are a scads of 3/4-16/2.73"/2.43" filters that will work well on Kohlers & Briggs engines. The MotorCraft FL400S is popular, if you have the space (it's almost 5" long); we used a Fram (he likes Fram ToughGards, what can I say?
21.gif
) TG3600 on my nephew's 25 HP Kohler; the Kohler in my sister's John-Deere has a Purolator L10241 on it. Point is, most of those are $2.50-3.00 at Wally's or Advance Auto, or wherever, vs $10 or 12 for the OEM.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Boy, you guys don't mess around. I just change the oil/filter, park it in the corner of the garage and throw a cover over it..

You've got me beat with that even. With my Cub Cadet 2544, I park it in the corner of the garage and run the gas out of it. I can't see wasting 2qts of fresh oil and a FL400 filter just to sit unused in a dry garage. I only do ~30hrs/year so she gets one oil change early each mowing season. I do throw a trickle charger on the battery once or twice over the winter.

Joel

Wow! now i have lots of options that i never knew! I have a motorcraft FL400S sitting in the garage doing nothing now that mom sold her 07 focus (why use my K&N gold up just yet).

I have to wait a couple of days till it warms up to fire it up so i can get the oil warm enough and run the tank out of gas. I tried last night at -10C. It started fine but once the fuel got sucked out of the filter it died. I am hoping a day of -2C coming wednesday should be warm enough. If not i am gonna take off the line at the filter and try my hand vac pump to see if the fuel line will fill up again. I dont want to try gas line anti-freeze yet.

When it is all said and done it will have 5W-30 YB and the motorcraft FL400S...won't forget the fogger either and pull the battery and put it in the basement where it won't freeze solid.

Any better ideas for the possibly frozen fuel line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back