Clock Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My out-laws have a Sligh grandfather clock. What oil should be used to oil the clock. The clock peddler they bought it from wants to sell them a vial of clock oil for $15. Educate me on clock oil in general. What are the typical components? Would 3-in-1 oil work? Why not?

I wasn't really sure where this should be posted.

A friend across the street is a long time clockmaker/repairman. He said 3 in one would work and to be sure and lube both sides of the mechanism. He thinks you will need about a 4 inch needle to reach everything on a Sligh. The main thing about clock oil is that it's the right viscosity and clings to the surfaces better than run of the mill oils.

Basically, no harm done with 3 in one, but you will need to use it more often and probably end up needing to clean the clock sooner.

It's not a substitute for a proper cleaning and lube but better than nothing.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
My out-laws have a Sligh grandfather clock. What oil should be used to oil the clock.

The proper oil costs about $7 to $20 for a bottle (lifetime supply). Check your PMs.

I was thinking sewing machine oil would work, which is basically light mineral oil with a bit of tackifier I would guess.

Originally Posted By: jmac
I was thinking sewing machine oil would work, which is basically light mineral oil with a bit of tackifier I would guess.

A clock has very slow and some faster moving parts. Different lubricants may be required for different parts. Clock oils resist gumming up better compared to other oils. Clock oil is designed to stay in place and not to disperse. This is an issue with all mechanical clocks and watches, even if the proper oil is used. If the movement isn't used, the oil tends to migrate, which is a serious problem.

In the end it depends on the particular movement which oil or oils are suitable. Some simple clocks may well run okay with pretty much any oil. The more refined the movement, the more damage you can do with the wrong oil.

Over the years, I have torn apart many clocks of all types to fix or lube them.
It seems that everything evaporates - somehow goes away.
Anything premium lube that you would use for gun lubrication will be OK.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Over the years, I have torn apart many clocks of all types to fix or lube them.
It seems that everything evaporates - somehow goes away.
Anything premium lube that you would use for gun lubrication will be OK.

Philistine, use the proper oils.

Try Glock oil ....
39.gif

True whale sperm oil[for lubrication] does not go rancid, or dry out. Great stuff, with a tell tale scent.
Try finding it locally, anymore!

I would think that just about any quality syn motor oil should work fine. Maybe a heavier grade if drainage is a problem. This should last much longer than simple 3in1 which is just a naphthenic prone to oxidation.

If drainage is still a problem, add in a small amount of grease or just find an 00 or 000 grease.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I would think that just about any quality syn motor oil should work fine. Maybe a heavier grade if drainage is a problem. This should last much longer than simple 3in1 which is just a naphthenic prone to oxidation.

If drainage is still a problem, add in a small amount of grease or just find an 00 or 000 grease.

The stubbornness with which which some propagate the use of unsuitable lubricants, despite the availability of the correct oils, astonishes me. Lubricating a clock is not akin to lubricating a door lock, a door hinge, or your goat.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Tempest

The stubbornness with which which some propagate the use of unsuitable lubricants, despite the availability of the correct oils, astonishes me. Lubricating a clock is not akin to lubricating a door lock, a door hinge, or your goat.

In your previous post you talk about oil running out and migrating. My post deals with this.

What is in "clock oil" that makes it so special? How is it different from other, more commonly available oils? You seem to know much about the matter.

Good article here:
http://www.abbeyclock.com/oil.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back