Replaced a laptop motherboard today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my clients laptop (A HP/Compaq Presario V2000) wont turn on and none of the panel lights would light up when the power is plugged in. This also happened to my laptop several years ago which the motherboard was replaced under warranty (a $1,500 job. Now it's in the dump.) I quoted several computer repair shops to do the repair which would come out to almost $400 incl. parts and labor.

Went into fleabay and found a used mobo for $150. Half the price for a new one. Installation was intimidating but it was easy. HP has a .pdf on their website that specifically shows every step to get to the motherboard. Got it done in less that an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what I like about HP and Dell, good instructions on their websites for their laptops. I always worry about messing up/dropping/scratching LCDs when I work on lappys.

Instructions, pffffft
grin2.gif
Just buggin' ya
wink.gif

I did a complete chassis swap on an ASUS a few weeks ago; it fell from 6ft onto brick and the chassis was pretty buggered. Surprisingly, everything but the LCD survived the impact.

Parts weren't all that bad, it got a new bottom and new aluminum top.

I probably do 2 or 3 laptop lobotomies a month ranging from board swaps to LCD swaps, plug repair (Compaq primarily)...etc. Some of them can be really fun to work on, others... not so much. The ASUS ones are by far the easiest. The worst is probably ACER, where one component swap requires almost a complete disassembly.

This your first one?

This is my first time working on a laptop that is hardware related. The easy to understand instructions on HP's website is what makes it easy.

I will later post pics of the motherboard and a closeup what looks like a burnt voltage regulator near the power connector.

OVERK1LL, you seem like a good person to ask this, my ACER laptop has a stuck hinge on the right side. Can't close the cover. Is this repairable, or am I skrued???

You can buy the hinge; they are easy to replace. Definitely doable.

What's the model? I have a spare ACER hinge kicking around from a lid replacement I did last week.....

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You can buy the hinge; they are easy to replace. Definitely doable.

What's the model? I have a spare ACER hinge kicking around from a lid replacement I did last week.....

That's good news. It's an Aspire 9300-5317. 17" display..

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back