Damage to clearcoat on alloy wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got 4 new tires on my Civic today (ended up getting the General Altimax HPs for anyone who read my last thread). I had a few minor problems with the shop (not sure they used a torque wrench on the lugs, left a bunch of [censored] from the old wheel weights on the inside of the rim) but more or less I thought it went well.

Upon closer inspection when I got home I noticed they managed to scratch the clearcoat off on at least 3 out of the four rims. One has a pretty bad nick in it, and the others only have minor nicks and damage around the outside (similar to what AJ was describing in his recent thread, I think).

I'll call them tomorrow and let them know, but the damage is done. Now my question is, will this have any adverse affects on the wheel in my temperate CA climate? I suspect not, given that the GF's Volvo's rims are pretty scratched up from who knows what and have been since we got it. At 15 years old and almost 200k miles it's fine.

Anything I should do about this besides let the shop know I'll be going elsewhere in the future?

(I really, really wish I could mount and balance my own tires...)

Originally Posted By: rationull
(I really, really wish I could mount and balance my own tires...)

Yeah, you're not the only one.

Every time I have new tires mounted, I add to the collection of scratches and bruises on my rims.
frown.gif

You could respray a decent hi-temp clearcoat over the damage to re-seal them before the corrosion damage sets in. I'm getting ready to re-use my damaged rims. Maybe I should re-seal them too so the corrosion does not worsen.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, you're not the only one.

Every time I have new tires mounted, I add to the collection of scratches and bruises on my rims.
frown.gif

In retrospect I probably should be less [censored] and more unsurprised. My previous cars have either had steel wheels or alloy wheels that already looked like [censored] for having been on the road for 20 years already.

I just noticed this because the rims were still perfect before today. Oh well, more character for the car I guess.

Tom: Thanks, good to know it's nothing to worry about.

I can't tell you how that will effect your rims in CA, but in a harsh winter climate where corrosive deicing chemicals are used, they will turn ugly, and fast. Sooner or later, the corrosion will likely reach the bead area and not allow a good seal between the wheel and tire. I just went through replacing the the rims on my Jeep Cherokee for this very reason. (Granted they were 21 years old, but they were just fine 6 years ago prior to coming to the salt belt). Refinishing the rims was an option, but I obtained new OEM manufacturer rims for the same price (though not the original rims on the vehicle- just ones that happen to fit! (Nice that so many Jeep rims use the same bolt pattern and compatible offsets!)

The clearcoat will start to peel over time and leave the wheel exposed and than the exposed aluminum will tarnish. Been there, had it happen to me. Best to not wait like the other poster did and get it on record now if it bothers you.

Your rims will look like [censored], good luck getting the tire shop to do anything about it! Big O gave me the old "it happens" story, and invited me to sue them.

I washed the rims off this morning, because they were also dirty (again, from the shop). Turns out some of what I thought were scratches were just gunk (I assume from the mounting process) so it's not as bad as it looked last night. There are a few minor scratches near the hub (from the impact wrench I guess) and one teardrop-sized circular abrasion on one of the spokes where it looks like something banged into it.

What I'm hearing here is that the damage is only cosmetic. It bothers me, but not that much. I will probably call them later to tell them to be more careful next time, but I don't expect them to do anything about it.

GMBoy, short of refinishing them, there wasn't a thing I could have done different. They either would have needed a refinishing then for slightly less or the refinishing now. Eitherway, the new rims were the cheaper route. From scratch, I expect they will easliy outlive the Jeep. Then again, it is a Jeep!

I wish I could mount my own tires as well. This is one reason I do all my own tire rotations, rather than have the shop do them. The wheels on my Corolla have exposed lug nuts, so careless work with the impact gun will easily knick the visible aluminum finish.

I was planning to take the car in for [free] rotations because it's kind of a pain to lift the car at all four corners and take the time during an oil change, but the experience has made me rethink that.

I sanded the edge and sprayed some clearcoat on mine. Better then before and hopefully they won't corrode and peel as much now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back