Alternative fluid for Power Steering Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be kind of a crazy question but: I have a 1998 Vovlo V70 with 285k miles on it. The steering rack is basically shot and it leaks AFT to the tune of about 12 oz./ week. I've got a couple of containers of stuff I'd like to get rid of one being Slick 50 the other 80-90wt gear oil. Can I substitute either of these for Power Steering Fluid - without horrendous results? Do I have any other options beside PSF - The ones I've used have the stop leak additive but they don't really seem to work much.
thanks for any suggestions...........

If AutoRx or conventional PSF with sealers suitable for use in your Volvo failed to resolve your problem then your only hope is to get your steering rack replaced.

Yes, you need to bite the bullet sometimes.

Q.

p.s. While I don't stop anyone from venturing outside of the proper ways, adding something other than the factory approved fluid into your PS systems is mostly downright silly, if not a bit wreckless. Do it at your own safety for if your steering system fails completely while you are on the highway doing 80, you'll loose steering.....and your safety will be at stake.

Try some MAxLife ATF or the cheaper $2 SuperTech Mi-Mi ATF. Dont' put anything else in except Auto-Rx with plain ATF. DO NOT put Slick Fiddy in!!!

after using auto-rx with plain and cheap atf like supertech, switch over to maxlife atf as it may slow down the leak even further.

ATF, eh? I may have to do that as the PS system in my Buick LeSabre is starting to get a bit noisy.

And there's an opened bottle of ARX laying around. May have to put some of that into the current SuperTech power steering fluid.

Originally Posted By: ezatu
This may be kind of a crazy question but: I have a 1998 Vovlo V70 with 285k miles on it. The steering rack is basically shot and it leaks AFT to the tune of about 12 oz./ week. I've got a couple of containers of stuff I'd like to get rid of one being Slick 50 the other 80-90wt gear oil. Can I substitute either of these for Power Steering Fluid - without horrendous results? Do I have any other options beside PSF - The ones I've used have the stop leak additive but they don't really seem to work much.
thanks for any suggestions...........

Why would you add gear oil to a ps system? Run what is recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back