Door Seals ? *winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey,

Should i use some silicone spray on my door seals ? sunroof ? prevent from cracks etc etc ? Any ideas about good products ?

I like to saturate the seals with silicone spray, wipe them with a clean rag, lightly spray again, then leave it alone. There's a hardware chain in my area that puts cans of silicone spray on sale a bunch of times a year for something like $1.99/can, so I've always got a few cans on hand. It's great for sticky wooden windows, adhesive removal and hand cleaning as well. More expensive silicone grease can be massaged into door seals as well. You'll find that at car parts stores or dealer parts counters.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I like to saturate the seals with silicone spray, wipe them with a clean rag, lightly spray again, then leave it alone. There's a hardware chain in my area that puts cans of silicone spray on sale a bunch of times a year for something like $1.99/can, so I've always got a few cans on hand. It's great for sticky wooden windows, adhesive removal and hand cleaning as well. More expensive silicone grease can be massaged into door seals as well. You'll find that at car parts stores or dealer parts counters.

Joel

Silcone is the worst thing you can use. I know it looks great and seems to work. However - the long term problem is silicone will damage your seals. I learned this the hard way by having to replace seals on my Corvette 2x until I figured out it was the silicone. Even Armor all is bad due to silicone content. Your seals will dry out, tear and shrink. I hear 303 works good. But the owners manuals of many cars recommend die-electric grease! i use Dupont Krytox which is probably the best but cost is outragoues. Me and 4 guys split a gallon of the stuff and so little is needed that it'll last my lifetime.

I just use Formula F2-1 on all my car`s seals..........T-Tops,doors,trunk,etc. Every seal on my 12 year old car looks factory fresh!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
..the long term problem is silicone will damage your seals. I learned this the hard way by having to replace seals on my Corvette 2x until I figured out it was the silicone.

100% silicone can be used on wood, leather, suede and has absolutely no negative effect on 'rubber' door seals what so ever. Many silicone sprays are food grade products and can be used on/around food processing equipment. I have no idea what you used on your Vette, but it wasn't silicone that ruined you seals.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK

Joel

Silcone is the worst thing you can use. I know it looks great and seems to work. However - the long term problem is silicone will damage your seals. I learned this the hard way by having to replace seals on my Corvette 2x until I figured out it was the silicone. Even Armor all is bad due to silicone content. Your seals will dry out, tear and shrink. I hear 303 works good. But the owners manuals of many cars recommend die-electric grease! i use Dupont Krytox which is probably the best but cost is outragoues. Me and 4 guys split a gallon of the stuff and so little is needed that it'll last my lifetime.

I have heard that 100% silicone won't harm rubber door seals. Is it a possibility your seals got damaged by using a product with silicone and petroleum distillates like Armor All and many others use in their ingredients? Just wondering.

Last edited:
You guys are correct. I am wrong. The product I used had silicone in it amongst other ingredients. That product (which was Armor All) probably did the damage. I learned about it on a detailing site. maybe the formula has changed since then, but I use Krytox and the same seals have been on there for the last 10 years and still look great. (Corvette is a 1994.) I did a search and could not find anywhere where silicone damaged seals. I apologize for spreading a false statement! In any event - didn't mean to cause misinformation. I've never done that before!

You guys are correct. I am wrong. The product I used had silicone in it amongst other ingredients. That product (which was Armor All) probably did the damage. I learned about it on a detailing site. maybe the formula has changed since then, but I use Krytox and the same seals have been on there for the last 10 years and still look great. (Corvette is a 1994.) I did a search and could not find anywhere where silicone damaged seals. I apologize for spreading a false statement! In any event - didn't mean to cause misinformation. I've never done that before!

Don't feel bad. I have inadvertently done that from time to time.
cheers3.gif

Don't you wonder if Armor All does any market research with guys like us who won't use their product because it causes dash cracks, dried out tires, cracked door rubber, etc? Surely they must be aware of this. Why cannot they offer an "Armor All Petro Free" version or something similar?

No sweat GMBoy. I cringe at the folks that mistake WD-40 for silicone spray. WD-40 will turn door seals and a lot of soft parts to soft goo over time. Actually WD-40 is a way better goo remover and hand cleaner than pure silicone spray.

Joel

I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about frozen door seals like you guys up north and out west. But I do use the Prestone spray silicone in the yellow can on my door seals and weatherstripping to keep them soft and supple. It conditions the rubber and helps to seal out water and keep the wind noise down. It has never had any detrimental effect on the seals, either.

When I worked for GM some years ago I heard of door seals actually freezing together on cars up north, and you couldn't even get the door open. And when you did get it open it would ruin the rubber seals. I have heard of frozen door lock mechanisms too, and I understand there is a door lock "de-icer" used for that. Forgive me, but I can't even imagine living in a place that cold...

Now if I could figure out a good way to keep my fuel doors from freezing shut, that would be great. That happened to me twice last winter. Had to breath on it heavy and rub it to melt the ice so I get fuel in the car at -10F. Really sucked.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about frozen door seals like you guys up north and out west. But I do use the Prestone spray silicone in the yellow can on my door seals and weatherstripping to keep them soft and supple. It conditions the rubber and helps to seal out water and keep the wind noise down. It has never had any detrimental effect on the seals, either.

When I worked for GM some years ago I heard of door seals actually freezing together on cars up north, and you couldn't even get the door open. And when you did get it open it would ruin the rubber seals. I have heard of frozen door lock mechanisms too, and I understand there is a door lock "de-icer" used for that. Forgive me, but I can't even imagine living in a place that cold...

When my dad first got his '06 Ion in the winter of '05, he lost 2 of 4 of his weather strips on his doors from them being frozen to the door.

I heard dielectric grease a few posts up... Isnt that silicone with some other "stuff" in there?

Thanks,

JMH

I used Dielectric Grease w/o problems for many years on my work vans. I had a problem with the doors freezing shut after it rained then dropped to freezing at night, it worked well. I didn't care too much about my clothes though, but it never seemed to damage them anyway, if its worked into the rubber and applied lightly. If you pile it on its a problem.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back